Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

1.2.0 Release schedule?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
1.2.0 Release schedule?
Hi,

I appreciate that i'm not the first person to be asking about this, but it really would be invaluable (in terms of planning out a very major board upgrade to Gossamer) to know if/when 1.2.0 is being released. Alex, Jagerman... help?
Of course I don't know anything official, but I think it should be within a few days...

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
Jason told me it would be last tuesday Wink (sorry Jason Smile)
Quote Reply
Re: [Arathorn] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
This is very strange

In this board, they always responded quickly all the restlessness. I don't understand why so much silence, when they have already announced a release that has us to the expectation from 4 weeks ago. Pirate

http://www.webconferencia.net/
Quote Reply
Re: [webconferencia] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
I think it's obvious that things haven't gone exactly to plan. But pushing out an update before it's time is difficult to manage and painful to users....we don't want another WindowsME! Cool ...and I'm sure GT wants to maintain its reputation for having excellent code.

I'm anxious as well---but if it's not ready, it's not ready.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
Sincerely, i'm crazy with this. But gossamer-threads deserves all my patience and more Wink

Quote Reply
Re: [Arathorn] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
With a little luck and the correct orientation of the moon to the sun Wink, I plan to release it first thing tomorrow morning. It's mainly done, just a few little touch-ups and testing that needs to be done here and there.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
Damn the time difference, I'm starting to twitch....

moog
-- I've spent most of my money on beer and women... the rest I just wasted.
Quote Reply
Re: [moog] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
I'm eager too, but am waiting to see them run it here first. Unless they just haven't change the version number since they've got pin to top already running.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
Gossamer Forum is for the most part finish - we'll go through final testing procedures today and - barring no major problems - make the release available tonight.

In Reply To:
... since they've got pin to top already running.

I hacked that into our 1.1.8 forum. Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Since 'tonight' has come and gone and it is now tomorrow, should we conclude that there were major problems?
Quote Reply
Re: [WhiteHat] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
It's safe to conclude that they did not release it. Beyond that I wouldn't guess but you're probably on the right track.

I"m sure we'd all rather they wait until it's ready to go than release it early with potential problems.

Now teasing us with different release dates is just cruel, but those programmers have to entertain themselves somehow Tongue
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Since 'tonight' has come and gone and it is now tomorrow, should we conclude that there were major problems?

Uhg... Guilty as charged. There weren't major problems, but I want to give the payment support an extra-thorough go-through before releasing - considering that it is such a sensitive area (and the first for us in a distributed product). That said, I'll be upgrading the site here shortly, as this installation won't have active payment support.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
I see 1.2.0 is installed. Would it be possible for a list of new features?
Quote Reply
Jason,

Does GForum 1.2 includes Optimized code for GForum or just new features? I have 1.1.8 installed and it works fine, that's why i'm asking... I need to know if this is worth the time and effort.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
It's mainly new features and bug fixes. I'll have a list of features up shortly.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Thanks Jason,

I see that Gossamer-Threads is running the new version, however, you are still using the exact same templates you were using in 1.1.8 and search engine friendly templates are still there, so I guess you upgraded from 1.1.8 to 1.2.0.. that's what I would like to do without having to reinstall plugins and add globals again. is this possible? I would like to upgrade from 1.1.8 to 1.2.0 without too much problems.
Quote Reply
Quote:
I would like to upgrade from 1.1.8 to 1.2.0 without too much problems.

... and to think that I thought that everyone wanted to re-do templates, reinstall plugins, and start from square one. Upgrading from 1.18 to 1.2 without consternation?

Gee... that's novel. I wonder if Jason has given that any consideration ....? Tongue (best sardonic I could choose)

Winners never quit, and Quitters never win, and those who never ever win and never quit are called Idiots.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
... and to think that I thought that everyone wanted to re-do templates, re-install plugins, and start from square one. Upgrading from 1.18 to 1.2 without consternation?

I think we are in the same boat... I have a 'launch ready' site running locally, and I am prepared to jack-up to 1.2.0 on a clean install locally, and transfer the templates for the sake of a couple of days work.

Try not stress... I feel strangely reassured by the (perceived) delay with the new version... It saves us all having to install a patch or two over the next few weeks... Wink

moog
Quote Reply
Jason, any thoughts? everyone is wondering if we will need to re-do all changes again..
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Jason, any thoughts? everyone is wondering if we will need to re-do all changes again..

I asked that a few weeks ago and the response I got was that it shouldn't affect our templates. Some of the new features might require adding code for buttons, etc., from what i understand, that's all.

But then, what do I know?

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
It won't break your forum if you do not upgrade templates. The worst that happens is that the new links - such as the link to make a thread sticky, or (if donation payment support is enabled) the "Donate" link won't show up, or you may not get minor fixes that have been made to the templates.

Also, when performing an upgrade, your globals, plugins, language variables, etc. are not touched. New ones will be added, but any custom globals you have added or language variables you have changed will not be removed.

The only changes you will need to make are to templates that you have modified (ones that you haven't touched - they won't have a * in the template drop-down list - will be automatically updated). A 1.1.8 -> 1.2.0 template diff will be included; I believe the Gossamer Forum Manual has instructions on how to make sense of this file for users not familiar with diff formats.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
we can expect the "buddy list" feature in this release ?

Quote Reply
Re: [moog] 1.2.0 Release schedule? In reply to
I guess my attempt at sarcasm was lost in the printed text; the last thing I am feeling is stressed.

My post was only a respond to what I perceived was another's impatience and a failure-to-read of prior posts of the last several weeks/months about 1.20 plans.

That's why I picked out the smilie with the wink and the tongue and made my 'sardonic' reference. My dry sense of humor came off... well, sort of dry.

Seriously, I have utmost confidence that when the upgrade does arrive, it will reflect Jason's consideration to most of the requests that have been made in the recent past. [End of total seriousness]

And of course, when it does arrive, that giant sucking sound you hear will be bandwidth as everyone downloads. (Now where is that smilie that I need now?.......)
Winners never quit, and Quitters never win, and those who never ever win and never quit are called Idiots.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I picked out the smile with the wink and the tongue and made my 'sardonic' reference. My dry sense of humor came off... well, sort of dry.

A dry sense of humor is an asset in the UK, the women fall for it every time Cool... anyway, back on topic...

I was trying to re-iterate the fact that you had a valid point...

It would seem that I, like yourself, feel more comfortable with a clean install, given the opportunity on a developmental site...

In Reply To:
And of course, when it does arrive, that giant sucking sound you hear will be bandwidth as everyone downloads.

I guess that the gossamer.host NOC has gone to 'defcon one', all hatches battened... Laugh

moog
> >