Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

New admin addition

Quote Reply
New admin addition
We've added a stats page to the admin, containing all sorts of useful/useless (depending on your outlook Wink) information.

For example:

Top 10 posters: Chewbaca (15136 posts), JPDeni (8197 posts), RedRum (7068 posts), Alex (5127 posts), pugdog (4592 posts), Bobsie (3084 posts), widgetz (2239 posts), LoisC (1557 posts), AndyNewby (1488 posts), Mark Badolato (1355 posts)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] New admin addition In reply to
Would this not be good for members to view also?

Quote Reply
I think the more relevant stat to use is the daily average stat...since top posters is a bit misleading since many of the "top posters" you've listed are no longer active in the forums...

Showing who is active on a daily basis is better IMHO.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] New admin addition In reply to
Some of the stats (such as top users) can be shown to users, however some of them can take a while (a good half a second, or more). Included in the admin is a link to the source of the stats page so that admins can copy and paste whatever statistics they like into the user templates.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
I wish there was a way to base posting stats per forum.

For instance someone can spend months in say DBMan forums and post enough to be considered a veteran. But then they pop into many other forums and post numerous messages and at that point no matter what forum they visit they are also seen as a veteran.

I think some of those who are new to the forum tend to think because someone has a status of veteran or because they have many posts means they have extensive knowledge about the scripts.

This is very misleading as the number of posts is from ALL the forums and for the large part some are just arguments between users and not actually support related. Or it could be someone who spends months asking questions.

I guess it's like most surveys, unless it's clarified as to exactly what the stats mean and how they are arrived at it can cause more confusion rather than to state information which can be interpreted as having real meaning.

Just my opinion. And I know that may sound very confusing, but I think many newbies to the forum are also confused by the meaning of the number of posts and what they actually mean in terms of the forum they are visiting.

They probably wonder how many posts were from people asking questions, answering questions, or by some forum content most likely how many were just arguing with others, or unrelated posts to the topic or threads.

If there is going to be stats it should be broken down by forum to get a true picture. Just my opinion.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Will the stats work in any template and is there an easy way of say...having the top 5 posters on your homepage for example.
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] New admin addition In reply to
Lois, I couldn't agree more with what you're saying. We all know that Polls are useless without explicitly stating the sample groups questioned.

It would also be handy to add Moderator to your tag in the forum you are Moderated and not across the board. Or has this already been implemented?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] New admin addition In reply to
>>It would also be handy to add Moderator to your tag in the forum you are Moderated and not across the board. Or has this already been implemented?<<

That has been implemented for a while already.

I think the "Veteran" tag has been misunderstood. It _was_ never intended to reflect a level of knowledge but merely the length of time you've been around.

Look up veteran in the dictionary.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 12, 2001, 4:19 AM
Quote Reply
>>Look up veteran in the dictionary.<<

That wasn't intended as it sounded.
Quote Reply
What I will need is getting statistics per board: how many different users have read, send or replied to messages each day on each different board and how many different users have visited all the boards per day,month,year. Is that possible on this system?

Lauri
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Will the stats work in any template and is there an easy way of say...having the top 5 posters on your homepage for example.

Yes.

(One word answers will have to suffice until I'm over this cold Pirate)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Aww. Get well soon :)