Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go!

Quote Reply
Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go!
New Gossamer Forum 1.1.0!

We've put Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 up on the site now. Please report any bugs you find in the Bug Reports forum.

Some of the major new features:
  • Advanced editor - for those of you using Internet Explorer 5.0 or above (and our logs tell us it's about 90%) you will now see a WYWIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, refered to as the "Advanced Editor," for writing posts.
  • Markup extensions - as you can see from this post, <ul>, <ol>, and <li> tags are now supported ([ul], [ol], and [li], respectively). Also included is support for fonts. The Advanced Editor makes it very easy to write posts, as you don't have to learn all the markup needed.
  • Nested categories - categories can now be nested. We plan to rearrange the categories on our forum to demonstrate this feature.
  • Hideable categories - we have introduced a new feature that allows registered users to hide categories from their display. This takes effect when viewing the main page. For example, if you never want to see the DBMan forums, you can click the "[-]" link, and it will only show one line for the category, instead of the category and all of its forums.
  • Mark All Read - This feature allows you to mark all posts in all forums as read (the link is at the bottom of the category list page). There is also a second option at the bottom of the forum page (it shows up when there are new posts in a forum) that allows you to mark all posts in a particular forum as read.
  • Multiple category view - you can now view multiple specific categories. Previously, you could only view one category at a time. This new feature allows you to view multiple categories simultaneously, using a URL such as: http://.../gforum.cgi?category=1;category=2;category=3.
  • Many bug fixes and other minor features.

1.1.0 will be released for download on Monday. Until then, please test out the forum on our site and report any bugs you encounter in the Bug Reports forum.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go! In reply to
Oops, I missed a feature (I was sure it would happen):
  • New template set - (sort of). We've added a new template set, default_top. You can change to this in your profile. This new set uses a new template feature, inheritance, which allows us GForum have only different files in the template - everything else is loaded from default. The new template set puts the post information at the top of each post, instead of on the left. Give it a try!

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Cool

more room to add all kinds of gibberish and such Wink

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hello!

I wans'nt expecting any updating this year man! The new update is really damn good!!!

Especially, Nested categories is cool.
Quote Reply
That's all I can say is...... wow! Absolutely excellent work.

Congratulations!

- wil
Quote Reply
Wow, couple of comments. First I can't wait to see nested categories in action. My 30 day demo is out of time so am hoping people will post examples of this in action on their boards for others to view.

My other comment may be covered elsewhere put I'll add it here. I installed a new drive and OS (XP-home) over the weekend, logged in for the first time here on that system and when I hit reply to your message...there was a pause and Office 2k Pro came up and installed something prior to me being able to type in the message field.

It appears that it installed some Office or Word like tool bars at the top of the Gossamer message entry field. Am I correct and what would a new user have seen if they were not an Office user?

-Scott Burris, HeavyBombers.com guy (and >this< much closer to being a Gossamer customer)

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Dec 17, 2001, 4:31 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go! In reply to
>>
It appears that it installed some Office or Word like tool bars at the top of the Gossamer message entry field. Am I correct and what would a new user have seen if they were not an Officer user?
<<

You mean the advanced wysiwyg message composer?
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go! In reply to
Hi,

We put nested categories up here. Each product is underneath the products category. Should give you an idea of how it works. You can also have forum and categories at the same level (we don't have it here, but it's possible). That said, I'm not sure if I'll keep it for our support system, but we'll see.

We're still tracking down that Office problem, and we think it may be related to the IE control.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Oops, I missed a couple more features:
  • New delete option - there is a new delete method you can select for forums. This allows you to set how posts are deleted. Using the new method, if a user chooses to delete their post, it will be deleted from the database if there are no replies, otherwise the post will be marked as deleted.
  • New moderator "Remove" - moderators now have a "Remove post" button in addition to the "Delete post" button (this shows up AFTER clicking delete). The Remove post allows the moderator to remove the post (and any replies) from the database instead of simply marking it as read. The delete button does what it has always done.
  • Move option changed - the move option has changed. It used to limit the moderator to only be able to move the post into forums that they moderate. This limitation has been lifted - moderators can now move a post into any forum in which they have permission to post new threads.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Awesome!
Quote Reply
Where can I download the update? I didn't get an email alerting me of this...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shannon Anderson
Babies Online.com
Quote Reply
Re: [BabiesOnline] Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go! In reply to
Hi,

It's not out yet, we are still fixing a few things with the UBB import and will have it released real soon.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go! In reply to
burning the midnight oil to get the update out?

I'd like to say go to bed but ... Laugh after the update release would be my preference Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Any chance of having this out before the holiday? I would love to be able to release the boards before Christmas, but I can't with it being so buggy still...
Shannon Anderson
Babies Online.com
Quote Reply
I believe there's a post in the announcements forum saying it's out already.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Gossamer Forum 1.1.0 ready to go! In reply to
Aaaah thanks. I'll check on that. Since I am registered I expected that I'd get an email about it.

Best,

Found it!

You can download the latest version at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/gforum/download.htm

Is there somewhere that we can go to download the update without having to download and reinstall the entire program?

Shannon Anderson
Babies Online.com

Last edited by:

BabiesOnline: Dec 20, 2001, 9:40 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

You don't need to reinstall, the installer will prompt you for whether you want to do a new install or an upgrade.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Upgraded but the forum says there is no forum. Check the admin area and the forum are still all there. Please advice