Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Suggestions for 1.1.0

Quote Reply
Suggestions for 1.1.0
Big thanks to Alex for solving my upgrade problem (and on a holiday weekend!). I'll mention a couple of areas that I think could use improvement. I don't know how much relevance my observations will have for other applications of Gossamer Forums - but I'll throw them out and see what sticks.

1. The category naming convention as seen in Forum Admin and in the forums themselves. If one has several sub-categories, the name extends laterally to an enormous size. i.e., "Main category name: Sub category name: Tertiary category name: Forum name"

After further review, I would move this to the "urgent" on my list of things to consider for a fix/quick fix.

In the message board "Jump to forum" element this is particularly problematic, see attachment "category-names.gif". However, it's handled very well in the "Search" pull down forums box, see attachment "category-search.gif".

2. In Forum Admin "List All" section. If you wanted to move a group of categories or forums around you currently have to do them one at a time. Select modify, apply modification, re-list all, and repeat. Perhaps some global move could be implemented? Perhaps check boxes with a "apply action to checked items to" or something of that nature?

What do you think?

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Dec 29, 2001, 7:22 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Suggestions for 1.1.0 In reply to
sorry heavybombers for the irrelavent post, but ...
what browser are you using ?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Suggestions for 1.1.0 In reply to
QooQ,

I'm using MS Internet Explorer 6. If you wondering about the form buttons and slider elements, that Win XP at work.

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Dec 29, 2001, 7:20 PM
Quote Reply
My temporary solution for the "Jump to Forum" problem is just to remove the form. Removed it from "forum_view", "post_view_flat", and "post_view_threaded". I'm sure it's somewhere else and I'll deal with it when I run across it again Wink.
Quote Reply
Well my temporary solution for the Jump to Forum navigation form element is a poor one. It is used more places than I thought. In moderation, in post confirmation, etc.