Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Fun SQL host

Quote Reply
Fun SQL host
Isn't it fun when you have the program working fine (Gossamer Forums) and your darn SQL host doesn't do their job?

I got this error last night "The log file for database 'mydatabasebasename' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space. "

Actually that's the error I got after I turned debugging on. So it sounds like it's a basic housekeeping issue for the SQL server folks. Of course basic issues sometimes take a while to be resolved. Filed a ticket with my 24/7 support last night around 0100 , sent a follow up at 0630, got a "we'll let you know soon" reply at 0800, it's now 1030 <SIGH>......

These are the problems you face when you don't run your own servers, which is a boat a lot of people are in.

To get this back to a Gossamer question though, am I right in assuming that GT's application of Gossamer Forums is probably the largest currently deployed? With over 12 thousand members and....oh roughly 140 thousand posts, can I ask how big your Forums database is, ballpark?

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Jan 9, 2002, 8:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Fun SQL host In reply to
The dmoz adult category is 90,000 links and it 30MB. The average post is a lot bigger than a link so say 100MB(?) .....then multiply it up to 140,000

So my guess would be around 180MB :)

Ha...like I know what Im talking about :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 9, 2002, 8:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Fun SQL host In reply to
You seem to know a lot about the web adult community don't you, Paul? ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Fun SQL host In reply to
Yup, because Im an adult.

You prefer the kiddies community?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Fun SQL host In reply to
Sure sure..... Tongue
Quote Reply
:-)

- wil
Quote Reply
This is part of the reply back from the tech support people. It's way outside of my area, any comments or suggestions?

Quote:
Your transaction log has been trimmed as much as possible. Your transaction log is currently 75mb our cap on the size limmit for transaction logs are 25meg. Someone had set this to 250meg which cannot be done. I have reduced it to 95meg, which 50meg is the maximum limmit ever allowed. You will need to check you sql statements, as this log file whould not be getting this large. Truncating the log was unsecesfull due to all data in the transaction log is valid.

I have 3,000 posts in my forum and only 124 members after a week of operation.

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Jan 9, 2002, 3:25 PM
Quote Reply
Replying to my own post. Programmer guy, who wrote the Discus conversion script, says "hmmm, probably some stuff from the conversion that needs to be cleaned out."

Wish me luck Cool
Quote Reply
I'm not that familiar with the logging in MS SQL, but is the transaction log for open transactions that have not been closed, or is it a log of sql statements? If it's just sql statements, then it should manage itself (i.e. like a webserver log, it should not grow forever, it should be auto-pruned as part of server management).

If it's an SQL transaction log, and there is something in Gossamer Forum that is keeping transactions open, then that's a problem we need to address (it shouldn't be as AutoCommit is turned on).

Let me know what you find out!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Fun SQL host In reply to
Alex,

Programmer boy reports back, "there aren't any open transactions so the gossamer guys are in the clear (as they probably suspected)".

Full backup didn't seem do to the trick so he did a transaction log backup which reduced it to a much nicer 8mb. The database itself only weighs in at 7.5mb at this point.

Would think the server's own tech people could have done that, but we all know what tech support is good for (except for Gossamer's of course Wink).
Quote Reply
We're at nearly 180,000 posts. I just checked the database - including the GT::SQL index, which makes up about 350 MB, our database currently weighs in at 500.85MB (525182012 bytes), as of this writing. Adding attachments adds a relativly insignificant 7MB. If we were to take out the indexing, searches would be very slow, but it would cut down the database size by about 2/3. The Post table itself, not including the search indices (Post_Score_List and Post_Word_List) takes up less than 140MB.

If anyone is interested, I've attached a breakdown by MySQL file (3 per table - .MYD stores the data, and .MYI stores the table's indices. .frm files store MySQL's table definition).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com