Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Increasing number of posts in a forum

Quote Reply
Increasing number of posts in a forum
How do I increase the default of 25 posts displayed in each page of a forum?

Last edited by:

inboxcom: Nov 15, 2005, 11:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [inboxcom] Increasing number of posts in a forum In reply to
In Reply To:
How do I increase the default of 25 posts displayed in each page of a forum?

Depends on what You need - 2 ways:

1. On admin side: Admin Panel > Setup > Defaults > default_mh_post
2. On user side: Edit Profile > Display Profile > Post max hits / page:

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] Increasing number of posts in a forum In reply to
I made the admin change, but it doesn't work unless the user also makes the change. Is there a way to change the user default for all users?
Quote Reply
Try:

UPDATE gforum_User SET user_default_mh_flatpost = 25;

Remember to change gforum_ with your prefix if you changed on install time, and also the desired number of post 25 .. 30 ... etc.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins

Last edited by:

eupos: Nov 16, 2005, 6:43 AM
Quote Reply
Uh oh... you are talking fast now. Say I want to change the default display from 25 to 40. Where do I do this? I am not sure the file you are referring to (UPDATE gforum_User SET user_default_mh_flatpost = 25;), plus it sounded like the change needed to be made in more than one file.
Quote Reply
gforum_User is the Users table in SQL server, where all the user data is, and user user_default_mh_flatpost = 25 is column and value muste be chagned.

In your case the command should look as:
UPDATE gforum_User SET user_default_mh_flatpost = 40;

This sql query must be executed in mysqlman or in SQL Monitor (both are in your admin panel)

Cheers,
Boris

Quote Reply
Sorry, but for what little I know, we seem to be going backwards.
  • Are these changes made directly in the program, or in the admin panel?
  • If they are made in the admin panel, can you walk me thru the steps?
  • What is a sql query?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
To make from long story short, if you PM me I can do the changes for you.

As for steps:

1st You must change the default values for your users from admin panel
2nd You must execute the given query to update the number shown posts to all present users (as for the moment they are set to 25)
3rd SQL Query is command that you run on your database server to update the necessary fields.

Cheers,
Boris

Quote Reply
Changing the default in the Admin Panel isn't working In reply to
I have a similar goal, only mine is to decrease the default number of threads viewed per page to 15.

I changed the default_mh_forum in the Admin Panel to 15 a few days ago. It did not change the default for existing users (which didn't surprise me), but it also didn't change the default for new users who've signed up after the change.

I don't mind manually changing the default for all the existing users on a one-time basis, but it would be nice to not have to do it for every new user that signs up. Shocked

Any hints?

Quote Reply
Re: [Violet] Changing the default in the Admin Panel isn't working In reply to
As mentioned previously by eupos, you need to:

1) Change the default_mh_post option (Setup => Defaults). This option is used for guests and users who have an invalid user_default_mh_flatpost value.
2) Change the user_default_mh_flatpost default value. This is what new users will get set as their posts per page. Instead of executing raw SQL queries to change this, I'd recommend using the database editor. However, gforum's default columns are marked as un-editable from the database editor (so things aren't inadvertently broken), so you have to manually enter the url:

http://example.com/path/to/admin/db.cgi?db=User&do=editor_columns&modify=user_default_mh_flatpost

From here, you can change the default from 25 to whatever you want.

3) Although I don't suggest you do this, you can also change the default for your existing users. Just follow the instructions from above.

The same applies to the other columns like default_mh_forum/user_default_mh_forum, etc.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks! Found it In reply to
Life's been crazy, so I haven't tried it yet. Better to leave it to the weekend when I've had more sleep. Laugh

Thanks again.