Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Forum permissions screwy

Quote Reply
Forum permissions screwy
A user who registered after we installed 1.2.1 is seeing the forums as though they are not registered-- their posting permissions are off. The best I can tell, these permissions are generated from user_status, but it's set correctly to 2.

Most likely related, they are also not shown as being in the Registered User group, although the account is in fact registered.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Forum permissions screwy In reply to
Hello?

I believe I posted this in the correct forum and it was moved here for some reason. But I still need a reply.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
First you need to determine the user's user_id; this is at the top of the detailed user record in the admin. Then try running this query from the admin panel -> Tools -> SQL Monitor:

INSERT INTO gforum_UserGroup (user_id_fk, group_id_fk) VALUES (USER ID, 3)

You might need to change the 'gforum_' part if you've used another prefix - the SQL Monitor page gives you the database prefix. That should put the user into the correct group.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Forum permissions screwy In reply to
Aha... I thought the registered users group was generated dynamically, I didn't realize it was actually set in the database. Thanks.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Aha... I thought the registered users group was generated dynamically, I didn't realize it was actually set in the database. Thanks.
Well, it _is_ generated dynamically when you add/modify/delete users, but stored in the database along with all the other groups. I'm not sure how this error happened - the database addition is always done by GForum immediately after adding a user. Perhaps there was a database error at the moment it tried to do the insert?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Forum permissions screwy In reply to
That's probably what happened... our server has a history of crashing.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Quote:
our server has a history of crashing.

We do offer hosting. Wink

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Forum permissions screwy In reply to
If you can give us the same 1gb ram/dual 866mhz system for the same $99/month we'll be happy to switch. Wink

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Heh, no, can't do that. Smile

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.