Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

WWWThreads import?

Quote Reply
WWWThreads import?
I've been using WWWThreads for two years, and ended up with a highly customized version. Now that WWWThreads is sold, I don't know if I will like the changes that may come, so I am considering alternatives, this is the most promising one, as it seems to already have several features that I had hacked for WWWThreads. Therefore my question: Is it possible to import WWWThreads data without too much hassle? Is there an import script?
Gerrit
SpiritBoard
http://www.channeling.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Gerrit] WWWThreads import? In reply to
the posts here came from a wwwthreads system so I am sure there is a script ... I guess a lot is gonna be up to when / if / how GT will release it.

Might be nice if GT makes a slew of import scripts for the most popular BBS systems on the net ...

wwwthreads
ubb
vBulletin
phpBB
phorum
yabb

just to name a few.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Gerrit] WWWThreads import? In reply to
Hi,

If you look in admin/tools directory you will see an import.pl script. This currently only supports WWWThreads (as that is what we moved from), but we are willing to do others (the majority of code is already done, it's just a matter of putting in the user specific code).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] WWWThreads import? In reply to
vbulletin!
account deleted
Quote Reply
Alex-

How exactly do you use the import.pl tool to bring in data from WWWThreads?
Quote Reply
Re: [earthgolf] WWWThreads import? In reply to
Hi,

It must be run from shell, but if you type perl import.pl it prints out:

Quote:
Gossamer Forum Importer

Usage:
./import.pl --type={WWWThreads|WWWThreads-PHP|UBB|vBulletin} --source=/path/to/forum [any others of the following options]

Options are:
--clear-database
Clear the Gossamer Forum database before importing data.
--append-data
If your Gossamer Forum database already has users, it will add any posts, messages, etc to the existing Gossamer Forum user. If this is not turned on, any conflicting users/data will not be added or will be treated as deleted. You probably want to use this option if you are resuming a failed import.
--close-forums
If the imported forum supports it, it will be closed so that no new messages, etc can be created while the import is running. To use this, you must have permissions to modify the appropriate configuration files. This will also close Gossamer Forum.
--add-bad-email
Any users with invalid email addresses will be added (as opposed to being deleted), but their account disabled.
--debug
Turn on debugging. To increase the debug level, use more --debug's (up to 4 levels).
1: Minimal debug output.
2: + Summaries of imported data.
3: + Imported data.
4: + SQL queries.
--logfile=/path/to/logfile
Log debug and other information to this logfile.
--help
Display this help screen.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex, when you say run from shell, what do you mean? In otherwords, I currently have GT installed in a folder called forum - WWWThreads is installed in a folder called forums. I have telnet access, but when I go into the admin/tools folder and type perl import.pl, it dies at line 30 while printing out what you said it would. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
You need to type at a minimum:

perl import.pl --type=WWWThreads --source=/full/path/to/wwwthreads

at a minimum, you may want to add --clear-database to to start with an empty Gossamer Forum database.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex, I did that and it says died at line 30. Any ideas?

Quote Reply
Hi,

What does it say exactly? Probably something about invalid option or missing option?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In ..../Gforum/Import/WWWthreads_PHP.pm missing lines
"use GForum qw/$DB $CFG/;"
and
"use GT::Dumper;"

Last edited by:

ngs: Oct 13, 2001, 3:09 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ngs] WWWThreads import? In reply to
Actually, the WWWThreads_PHP module probably has a few things that need touching up. I didn't quite get to synchronizing it with the Perl import as we were testing the Perl import with our old forum. I'll probably get that fixed up on Monday.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] WWWThreads import? In reply to
خي, we'll hope Angelic
Quote Reply
Can you import from UBB to this new forum script?

------------------------
donm
Quote Reply
Re: [donm] WWWThreads import? In reply to
No, currently UBB is not supported, we don't have an installed UBB, so we would need access to a server in order to handle the import (only latest versions of UBB).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Any chance of getting a script to conver from EZBoards to Gossamer?
Quote Reply
Re: [heidit] WWWThreads import? In reply to
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think EZBoard is a hosted product. You probably won't have access to the data since it's on their servers.
Quote Reply
Re: [Katana Man] WWWThreads import? In reply to
InfoPop can transfer things from EZboards, as, I believe, can vBulletin.
<A HREF="http://www.fictionalley.org>FictionAlley</a>
Quote Reply
Re: [heidit] WWWThreads import? In reply to
Cool, I didn't think you could access the data with EZBoard.
Quote Reply
Re: [Katana Man] WWWThreads import? In reply to
at one time wasn't it just a regular installer script like NUke? But a bit better ???

hehe, lot's of folks have been abandoning EZBoards recently and some folks just could use it since it needed i-magic for it's graphics processing ... errr ... that was about a year when I was looking into php scripts and what not.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Alex:

Error in option spec: "debug+"
Error in option spec: "SCALAR(0x812585c)"
Quote Reply
Quote:
Error in option spec: "debug+"
Error in option spec: "SCALAR(0x812585c)"

When did you get that message? It sounds like it happened before the import did anything (ie. at input parsing). What was the exact line you used to run the import (with arguments)? And was there any output before that error?

Adrian