Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Private Messages and markup / HTML

Quote Reply
Private Messages and markup / HTML
When people send private messages the smiles and markup doesnt work. It just shows [letter] or [word] etc.
The private messages are set to use markup and HTML? Is this a known bug? and is there a fix?

Cat

Last edited by:

catlovette: Jun 4, 2003, 2:49 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [catlovette] Private Messages and markup / HTML In reply to
Don't think that is a problem. When writing a PM, I see;

Markup / Plain Text Only (select box)

Selecting 'Markup' shows tags like Cool , whilst de-selecting it shows stuff like [cool]

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Private Messages and markup / HTML In reply to
I dont follow you. There is no checkbox for me to select. It just says Message Style: Markup

This is on the forum here too.

Cat
Quote Reply
You don't see the drop down box? Have you made any changes to the templates that would cause this? This is what I see on the GT forum when sending a PM (attached)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Private Messages and markup / HTML In reply to
ok right i understand. Im using the advanced editor. There is no option there. Its default is markup. So it should work. But when people view the message it shows [erer]
Quote Reply
I should make it more clear. If i send a message to a member it works ok. But often i get messages from other people that show the [werwer]
Some members send messages to me and there fine.
What are the people doing wrong that are sending the [erer]?
Quote Reply
It's not a bug I've seen. Are you saying you get it intermittenly, for some it works and others it doesn't? Do the same users always have the error?

Is '[werwer]' a custom icon you've added?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Private Messages and markup / HTML In reply to
sorry [werer] was just a random choice not a real example. I just meant i see the markup code.
What im saying is that i receive private massages that have [example] Where as I would expect to see the formatting they represent. I have not added any extra custom icons to the forum. It doesn’t seem to be intermittent. The same messages show the same thing whenever I open them. Just from some users its formatted with others I see the markup code!

Cat
Quote Reply
If you switch to the basic editor and send yourself a message with [tags], does it get through properly?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
What version of the forum are you using? You post just triggered a faint memory. On an older version, I forget which exactly, when I'd do a spell check on a PM all sorts of markup would be thrown in.

That's since been corrected. I wonder if that's your problem?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Private Messages and markup / HTML In reply to
Version 118.

If i sent myself a message in basic or adv editor it works fine. Just tested it.

Cat
Quote Reply
see attached example message i was sent from user.
Quote Reply
Shocked
Quote Reply
I would say that's exactly what I used to see when a spell check was done on a private message.

It's certainly worth a note to Jason. He had the cleared up, but this may be caused by something else entirely.