Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Getting a markup code to work...

Quote Reply
Getting a markup code to work...
I am trying to modify the Quote and RE code to my own liking, but it is not working too well. The html is valid, so I am thinking there might be some trick or something I am not aware of that makes these work.

Here is what I WANT the code to be:

<table style="border:1px solid #996600" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" border="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#FFF5E1"><font face="arial" SIZE=2>

---and---

</font></td></tr></table>

Sshould be pretty simple, I would think!

Anyway, when it is used, you can see the box and all in the advanced editor, but it dissapears when you post. If you edit the post, and go to basic editor, you see this:

Code:
(font "arial")(size 2) {whatever the quote is} (/size)(/font)[/quote]

(Obviously, sub brackets for parenthesis...)

dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: Feb 13, 2003, 5:23 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Getting a markup code to work... In reply to
There's a trick to getting this to work with the advanced editor - it's looking for <!--reply-->, <!--/quote-->, etc. comments to tell it where the quotes/replies stop and start.

It should just be a matter of editing the opening and closing HTML, inserting the part I've highlighted in red:

<table style="border:1px solid #996600" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" border="0"><!--reply--><tr><td bgcolor="#FFF5E1"><font face="arial" SIZE=2>

</font></td></tr><!--/reply--></table>

Likewise, do the same for quote (but substitute "reply" with "quote").

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Getting a markup code to work... In reply to
Jagerman:

Thanks- that did it! (But I am sure you knew it would!)

Out of curiousity, what is that code in there to do? I noticed it, but just figured it was a comment so you would see in when viewing the code...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Jagerman:

Actuially, no, it did not quote work. The opening tags seem to work OK, but the closing tags do not print at all...

here is from a test post:

Code:
<table style="border:1px solid #996600" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" border="0"><!--reply--><tr><td bgcolor="#FFF5E1"><font face="arial" SIZE=2>bvnvcnbnvn (CLOSE TAG SHOULD BE HERE>>>)<br>-------------------------- <br> <br>Dave Koch <br><a href="http://www.bcdb.com">Big Cartoon DataBase</a> <br> <br>
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
What did you set for the /reply tag code?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Sorry- I guess that would help!

</font></td></tr><!--/quote--></table><BR>
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Sorry- that was obviously the quote code... Here is reply

</font></td></tr><!--/reply--></table>
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
I have come to the conclusion that you just cannot split a table. I cannot get the second half of this to work no matter waht...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Ah, yes, I see the problem now. Notably, both the opening quote/reply/pre/code tags have to be followed by a </table> tag. I remember now why we did this - if you split the table across both the opening and closing tags, someone could just make a post without the advanced editor, and throw in a[/reply] tag which _doesn't_ match up with an opening
In Reply To:
tag. Putting it bluntly, this would really mess things up, and would allow people to put content outside of the post table.

That said, I don't like the way it's done now as it isn't very flexible (as you've just found out, unfortunately). More flexible markup - perhaps such as ignore unmatched closing tags - is one of the things planned for version 2 (it's needed for other areas, such as translation, as well).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Jagerman:

Very good! It would be nice, but I can see why you did it the way you did. I cannot wait to see the V2!

OK, if I am out of line, you can slap me... (and I am NOT trying to hound you!) but is there any sort of ETA on V2?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase