Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Getting Forum and Links under Mod_perl

Quote Reply
Getting Forum and Links under Mod_perl
Hi:

I was just reading through various posts, and read How to add a sub that can show forum load time? ... in which Alex demonstrates a method to double check that Forum is running under mod_perl. As my forum load times were closer to the 4 seconds (like in NOT mod_perl) than the mod_perl times of under a second, I decided to ryun Alex's test. Sure enough, I got:CGI-Perl/1.1

as a response, which indicates Forum is NOT under mod_perl. I had always thought it was, as when I start the server, I always see Links load, and then forum load.

Here is what I have. In <LOCATION /Links>, I have a call to startup.pl, which reads:

use lib '/path/to/Links/admin';
use Links::mod_perl;

use lib '/path/to/forum/admin';
use GForum::mod_perl;

1; #return true value

Links and Forum are inbstalled in two DIFFERENT Virtual Hosts, down two completely different paths (one is www.bcdb.com. the other forum.bcdb.com)

So I tried an experiment. I made TWO starup.pl's, and put the forum into one (only!) and the Links into the other (only!)

The I called the links startup.pl from <LOCATION /Links> in the Links VH container.... and the forum startup.pl from <LOCATION /Forum> in the Forum VH container. Syntax checked fine, so I restarted the server, and all looks good!

I see a noticable improvement in speed at Forum. I would definitely say it is closer to the 1 sec than 4 sec, as it should be under mod_perl.

But then I ran Alex's check again, and I still see CGI-Perl/1.1 as the result!

From Environment in Links:

Perl Version: 5.008
Links SQL Version: 2.1.2
DBI.pm Version: 1.35
Persistant Env: mod_perl (1) SpeedyCGI (0)
Mod Perl Version: 1.27

From Environment in Forum:

Perl Version: v5.8.0
Gossamer Forum Version: 1.1.8
GForum.pm version: 1.118
GT::SQL Version: 1.099
GT::Template Version: 2.088
DBI.pm Version: 1.35
mod_perl Version: 1.27

So, am I under mod_perl now? If not, any suggestions on how to get this all to work together?

Thanks!

dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: Apr 3, 2003, 10:52 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Getting Forum and Links under Mod_perl In reply to
Quote:
I got:CGI-Perl/1.1

as a response, which indicates Forum is NOT under mod_perl.

No, CGI-Perl/1.1 means it is running under mod_perl.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Getting Forum and Links under Mod_perl In reply to
Paul:

Oh... OK! Well, splitting up the startup.pl like that does seem to make it seem to run faster. I think I wilkl add the timer just to see for sure!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase