Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Suggestions for next update ;-)

Quote Reply
Suggestions for next update ;-)
After using the GForum since it's initial release (as well as all updates), here are some suggestions for future implementation:
  1. From the admin panel -- under USERS, have a feature that allows easy exporting of all users. This "export" would only include the users Real Name and email address.
  2. Allow only certain forum / categories to be viewable and useable to certain "registered" user groups, that way one user group could not access each others sections.
  3. Use of avatars.

My apologies if these features already exist. For, if they do, I cannot find how to activate/use them.

Cheers,

RICHARD
Quote Reply
Re: [rtuttle] Suggestions for next update ;-) In reply to
What would be export do? Export to a text file?

Each forum has group permissions - if you set the Registered Users, Guests, Not Validated, and Moderator groups to No access for a forum and provide access to a certain group, only those users in the group will be able to view the forum. Unfortunately, they will still see the category; it will just be empty.

Avatars are supported by the forum, however most of the templates have the code commented out. The reason we didn't release it with it enabled is because we don't have a suitable collection of avatars to provide. You'll see that in the Users menu of the admin there is an "Icons" option - this is the mechanism to add icons. The method of adding new icons could certainly be improved - currently, you have to upload the images into your image path (or, to keep it more organized, you could create a subdirectory called "users" or "avatars" in the image path) then when you add an icon, simply enter: users/iconname.gif or avatars/iconname.gif (your image_url will be prepended to the front).

Next, you need to go into the user profile template and search for: "GForum::User::icons". There is a big section of code that you should remove the GT::Template comments (<%-- ... --%>) from to enable the user icons. They will automatically be displayed from the icons you add in the admin panel.

I haven't tested this since about 0.9.7, but there isn't any reason it shouldn't work Angelic.

Let me know how you make out.

We never added a user mechanism to upload their own templates; if anyone is interested in writing a plugin I can provide a bit of help in that respect.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Suggestions for next update ;-) In reply to
Quote:
What would the export be for?

For me, it would give a listing of the user's real name and email address only that could be easily cut and paste. Right now, the only thing that I could find was a list for all users, but it contained 3 links at the end of the list which made it ackward for cutting and pasting.

Quote:
Avatars are supported by the forum, however most of the templates have the code commented out. The reason we didn't release it with it enabled ....

If I were to go through the trouble of uploading some Avatars and turning on the features, is there a place already set where users can choose / change their own avatar from a provided list?

Last edited by:

rtuttle: Jan 25, 2002, 10:34 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If I were to go through the trouble of uploading some Avatars and turning on the features, is there a place already set where users can choose / change their own avatar from a provided list?

There is, but as I mentioned, it is currently commented out. It's in the user_profile_basic.html file. The comment starts with:

<%-- The following section of code should be uncommented ...

All you need to do is delete that line, then, as it indicates, deleting the closing comment 42 lines below it. After changing that, user icons that you upload will be accessible.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
One more thing,

if I wanted to add additional emoticons, where in the Admin Panel would I go to tell the forum their location, etc.?
Quote Reply
anyone? Unsure
Quote Reply
Markup => Tags: Add

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Suggestions for next update ;-) In reply to
Yes, thanks. But how do you get them to show up with the rest of the emoticons on the POST MESSAGE page?
Quote Reply
Look at the template include_smilies_write.html

Adrian