Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Sub Categories

Quote Reply
Sub Categories
Having "Forum - Category" is too limiting for my needs. Am I missing something?

What do I need to do to create sub-categories? Your assistance appreciated.

I'd also like to see what other people have done with customization to the look and feel (templates) of this product.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Sub Categories In reply to
A forum without sub categories is also too limiting for my needs. It's the main reason why I don't switch to GT forum.

Hope the GT staff will add this feature.
Quote Reply
Re: [allo] Sub Categories In reply to
Do any other forums support sub-categories? I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement, so you'll have to wait for a response from Alex, or Jason.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Sub Categories In reply to
Ikonboard (http://www.ikonboard.com) supports sub-categories.

Thanks.

Last edited by:

allo: Nov 17, 2001, 9:59 PM
Quote Reply
In my opinion, the critical difference between the numerous "freeware" forums and a quality commercial forum is the ability to create unlimited sub-forums (categories, topics, whatever you want to call them). Well...board customization is also on that list, but for this thread the go/no-go issue is sub categories Wink

It's the organizational flexibility that nesting offers that I think is important. It becomes an issue when there are a large number of fixed topics or sections.

If I were to convert my present board to Gossamer, the gforum.cgi page would stretch for four or five pages just to encompass all my subjects. That obviously won't work from a presentation standpoint or a page load/size standpoint.

It's all about the flexibility.

-Scott

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Nov 17, 2001, 10:46 PM
Quote Reply
vbulletin Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Sub Categories In reply to
Can't you do this already????

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?category=7;

??

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Sub Categories In reply to
I believe they mean having even more sub categories after those categories.
So something like this:
Code:
Gossamer Forum
+- Links
| +- Links SQL
| | +- Links SQL Pre Sales
| | +- Links SQL Dicussions
| | +- Links SQL PHP Front End
| +- Links 2.0
| | +- Links 2.0 Discussions
| | +- Links 2.0 Installation
| | | +- Unix Installation
| | | +- Windows Installation
| | +- Customization
This would only really be usefull if you had a ton of forums.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [allo] Sub Categories In reply to
In Reply To:
Ikonboard (http://www.ikonboard.com) supports sub-categories.
I just tested it out, and the way Ikonboard's categories work is the same as how Gossamer Forum's categories work (and most other forums). You're also limited to 1 level categories, ie. you can't make a test3 category, which is a subcategory of test2, which is a subcategory of test1:
Code:
test1
+- test2
+- test3

I don't think that I've seen any forum which supports categories like how I posted above (probably because there isn't much of a demand for it).

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Nov 18, 2001, 1:48 PM
Quote Reply
Make one or more installations of the forum software would do the trick? What is the liscence issue with that? Is it one liscence per domain or per board?

- wil
Quote Reply
VBulletin supports unlimited levels of sub-categories
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I just tested it out, and the way Ikonboard's categories work is the same as how Gossamer Forum's categories work (and most other forums).
Oops, looking at it again, they support 2 levels of categories. So you can do:
Code:
cat1
+- cat2
+- cat3
but not any more deeper than that.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think that I've seen any forum which supports categories like how I posted above (probably because there isn't much of a demand for it).

Have you asked your users if they'd like the ability to organize their message boards with sub categories?

Over the last several weeks I've visited one message board support page after another - requests for sub categories or people working on sub category hacks were found on most.

It's a buy/don't buy issue for me.

I'm even looking at Discus Pro 4.0 once it comes out of beta because it does support sub categories.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Looking into it, it seems pretty straight forward to add, and I can see several situations in which it would be useful. We are putting together a list of features that we want to add for the next release, and this will definately be one of them.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Sub Categories In reply to
That would be outstanding. Can you share a rough idea of when the next version is scheduled for release (3 months, 6 months, next year, etc.)?

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Sub Categories In reply to
Hello Alex!

One extreme example would be the choice of using the categories from the links database dynamically!!! Wink
Quote Reply
Hi,

The next release will be very soon as it will contain the ubb and vb import scripts that Adrian has been working on, this week most likely.

As for the feature you are looking for, definately under 3 months, but it will depend once we put together our list of features we want to add. We'll post them here and see what people think.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.