Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Member Directory?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Member Directory?
When composing Private Message, is there going to be a feature like a Member Directory where you can look up members for their handles?

While playing around I finally found my old, original account registered as Wiliam back in October 1998. I just wondered how many estranged accounts are there?

Wil

Last edited by:

wil: Sep 18, 2001, 4:48 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [wil] Private Message In reply to
Yeah and I hate the username PaulWilson and wish to change it to Paul but it says Paul is already registered but a search by username Paul produces no results :(........and I've never seen a Paul here
Quote Reply
Hmm I tell a lie - there was a Paul but he hasn't been back since 1998 - is 3 years long enough to cancel his membership and give the username to me SmileSmile

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 18, 2001, 4:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] Private Message In reply to
You mean registered in 1998. He was last logged on at Jul 25, 2000, 11:13 AM, or so his [url=http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=Paul;]profile[/url] says.

I think transferring user names would cause havock with threads.

Wil

Last edited by:

wil: Sep 18, 2001, 4:52 AM
Quote Reply
Aww shucks.
Quote Reply
wanted this a long time ago ... now I'm stuck ...
havoc ... Sly post nasty things then change user name ... cool Cool ... devils advocate here Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Private Message In reply to
Should be a field in your user profile to show the poster's Real First and last name.

This could be an Admin option. Some boards I've seen force people to use their real first and last name (or real-looking ones). The idea behind is that it will reduce the temptation to 'post nasty things' etc.

It would definitily help some professional boards.

Any thoughts?

Wil
Quote Reply
I originally registered some time ago (under another name), forgot my password and couldn't get it emailed to me because that email account is no longer valid and therefore had to re-register.

I like Paul's idea of removing names that have been inactive for "x" period of time.

Example: I was able to re-register an old AOL screen name of mine (~ 1994) last month.
Quote Reply
Actually, no it won't (though it may cause havok with the users themselves). Jason made it so that it's possible to change your username. It updates all your posts, etc to reflect this change as well. Of course this is an admin option whether to allow this or not Wink.

So if an admin were to rename Paul to another name, then PaulWilson could change his nick to Paul...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Private Message In reply to
What would be the chances of becoming Paul instead of PaulWilson?

PaulWilson has a lot of bad memories associated with it :)

The original Paul hasn't been around for over a year so the chances of him coming back are slim.

Thanks.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 18, 2001, 12:51 PM
Quote Reply
Yeah, I would like to change mine to 'AndyNewby' or something Smile Does the admin have to do it, or is there some secret thing where we can do it that I havn't get found...lol

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [youradds] Private Message In reply to
No...go to Edit Profile option, then User Profile, and you can change your USERNAME there.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Actually, changing usernames works just fine - all your posts are changed as well to reflect the new username :)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Laugh

How about Pauly as in the movie "Pope of Greenwich Village!"

Wink

Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Private Message In reply to
Boo hoo :(

I can't change mine - could somebody help me UnsureUnsureUnsure....
Quote Reply
Adrian

They do think of everything these days ;-)

Wil
Quote Reply
blame Jason... it was his idea (being able to change names).

Adrian
Quote Reply
It's a good idea (and the way it's done by changing every post is great) but it confuses the hell out of me!

What would be great if poeple had their real first and last names in the profile tab, which you could not change <g>.

Wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Private Message In reply to
I don't agree with having our real first and last names available to others.

Just like at times there is abuse with even posting our web sites, I think posting real names would cause even more problems by some individuals that use the forum.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Private Message In reply to
The majority of people have their name in their username like "LoisC", the others have it in their signatire like "brewt", others have a link to their site where their name is shown and the rest....well I'll just do a whois at NS.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Sep 20, 2001, 10:47 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Private Message In reply to
Back in the days where I worked on CServe forums, all users were allowed a handle, but they had to use full real name in the forum profile.

Of course; you didn't have to enter your real name. Just a real-looking name, an no one would ever know.

After enforcing that rule it was amazing how the attitude of posters changed. People seemed to post more 'mature' messages and we had a lot less bickering and nonsense on the boards. Not sure why (I'm not a physocologist) but it seemed to discourage people from posting rubbish because they took a look at the board and it all seemed very professional, and therefore they directed their gibberish at fun-related and more relaxed forums.

Of course, if someone wanted to do this with any piece of forum software you could just write a simple message on the sign-up form or on the user agreement page. However, it would be nice to code it into the profile screen, and then leave it as an option for admins to turn this on and off.

Just my presonal experience and comments...

Best

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Sep 21, 2001, 1:26 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Private Message In reply to
I'm sure most people would post "real looking" names, in their profile. Others, like me have been on the net for a while and still remember days when things were still a little fishy -- as in what kind of real informaiton is being passed around.

I fully support having a Name situation in the profile ... nick is something to think about ... I'm one to talk !! I got a nick and not a name -- just checked my profile -- NO place to put a "real looking" name Crazy

------------------------------------

1 question that hasn't been asked... what happens if you have 2-3 registered names? Can you combine then ... well at least on the administrative side?

Sorry to point out these folks but they came to mind first --- Wil mentioned he had a registered name as William, and didn't Eliot have also have his own personal one too -- although his nick is AnthroRules now ... Sorry I don't mean to point you out just -- an example.

But then again, maybe some prefer leaving history alone Angelic

Quote Reply
I really don't understand some people's concerns about showing names. I don't buy the "privacy" argument. Knowing someone's name doesn't expose them to anything what so ever. Knowing their email or address is a different matter but I betcha half of the people complaining about wanting to stay anonymous have a registered domain name which would produce their name, email, address and phone number on a whois
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Private Message In reply to
OK ... let's put it a little simpler ....

1.) I don't like junk mail (trusting that GT -- doesn't get scammed by robots and such) and wouldn't like being targetted by a member who didn't like what I wrote ... I say alot of stupid things and ask stupid questions at times ... I'm human Blush

2.) I'm sure there are a few folks who are using the flat-file scripts and just wish to remain announymous cause they feel that they are doing wrong by not registering their site and/or paying the $100 dollars for Links/DBMan ... including some folks who use these scripts in paying job enviornment ...

I agree with what you're saying too but cookies and email viruses have a lot of people paranoid.

Difficult thing to deal with for sure. Especially, for some Americans who feel privacy is a very important issue.

Quote Reply
Quote:
1.) I don't like junk mail (trusting that GT -- doesn't get scammed by robots and such) and wouldn't like being targetted by a member who didn't like what I wrote ... I say alot of stupid things and ask stupid questions at times ... I'm human

Knowing someones name doesn't allow people to send you junk mail.
Neither can you be targetted by a member by them knowing your name. Both things above require an email address. Even if they didn't know your name they could still target you.

Quote:
2.) I'm sure there are a few folks who are using the flat-file scripts and just wish to remain announymous cause they feel that they are doing wrong by not registering their site and/or paying the $100 dollars for Links/DBMan ... including some folks who use these scripts in paying job enviornment ...

Again, knowing a name means nothing. If I put "Joe Bloggs" in my profile are GT gonna look at it and say "Whoah, that sucker hasn't paid for a license"....I doubt it.

Quote:
I agree with what you're saying too but cookies and email viruses have a lot of people paranoid.

Again, a name means nothing....the name isn't stored in a cookie and you can't get a virus by someone knowing your name Angelic......or I'd have given you all viruses by now :)[/quote]

Last edited by:

RedRum: Sep 21, 2001, 6:15 AM
> >