Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

New threads problem

Quote Reply
New threads problem
Threads remain "new" unless you go through the forum page-- ie if you use the arrow to go straight to the last post it'll still show it as new.

I know it's been mentioned, but a marking feature would be really useful in a future version-- DCF has it optional so it can be by when you're in the forum, like you have now, or you can manually mark the form as read.

I think the new posts handling is probably the weakest part of the script. You have a fabulous package, and I'd hate to see it discounted because of one feature.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ajvsm] New threads problem In reply to
I actually, like the way new posts are handled. The way it's setup now makes sense:
* If you visit a thread, then only the posts in that thread are marked as read (ie. not new)
* If you visit the forum, then all the posts in the threads are marked as read

The new marker for forums I don't visit don't bug me, but it seems to bug other people Smile. I was thinking that Jason should add a link at the bottom of the main forum listing to mark all threads as read. This should be relatively easy to implement. I haven't been into the office for quite a while now, so I haven't had a chance to mention this to him.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] New threads problem In reply to
But if you visit the forum the whole forum gets marked read, not just the threads you've been in. The marking feature, at least how I use it, isn't because I don't like to see "New" indicators everywhere, but because then I can mark the forum once I've actually read it all rather than if I just go in to see what subjects are new or something.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ajvsm] New threads problem In reply to
Hi,

The reasoning behind it is:

1. The home page shows you new messages since the last time you entered the forum. When you enter the forum, this number gets reset.

2. The post list page will have posts you have not read marked in yellow. These will automatically go white after your session expires (3 hours).

We could definately add a link at the bottom of a post list page saying mark all as read, which would basically be the same as your session expiring. Does this help or am I not understanding the problem ... we've gone through the new options so many times here... Wink

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New threads problem In reply to
Well I'm realizing that part of my problem is the way I redid the threaded view-- it's marking the root post read but not the others because they're displayed below. Any suggestions on a quick fix to mark the whole thread as read instead?

Realiiity.com Forums