Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
marlarc
Hello,

I am working on getting mailarc up an running. Couple quick questions:

1. Is the Mail POP3 an option that can be used instead of the gateway configuration?

If so, is it still necessary to add the destination email to a mailing list? How do you do that?

Here are my settings:
destination email - tidepool@critterweb.org
server - critterweb.org
pass - xxxxx
forum ID - 1

Here is how i set up the cron job
*/5 * * * *
archive.pl --forum=1 --pop-host=critterweb.org--pop-user=tidepool@critterweb.org--pop-pass=xxxxx

Does this look right?

bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] marlarc In reply to
Hi,

Yes, the POP3 option is an alternative to piping the email to the program. The script will go out and insert all the messages in that pop account into the forum, and then delete them off the pop box.

You need to subscribe that account on the mailing list you want to archive.

To see it in action, have a look at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/archive/

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] marlarc In reply to
I believe i have the user subscribed to the mailing list correctly. I think i am getting into trouble with this cron job. Does the cron job need to begin with the directory to where the archive.pl file is located? Or is the way I have it above correct?

bob

Quote Reply
Here's what mine looks like:

* /10 * * * /home/dodrxnet/dodrxnet.org/perl/gforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/archive.pl --forum=10 --pop-host=dodrxnet.org --pop-user=XXXXXX@dodrxnet.org --pop-pass=XXXXX

This oulls mail from the POP3 server every 10 minutes.

db
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] marlarc In reply to
Thanks for the tip bretzke,

I have my cronjob set up the same way. Must be something else going on. Here is what I have done.

Installed the mailarc plugin.

I created a mail account to test this out. tidepool@critterweb.org.

I created a forum to display the email posts. It's ID is 1.

I added a user (tidepool) to gforum whos email address is tidepool@critterweb.org.

I subscribed tidepool to forum 1.

I set up this cron job:
/home/cribob/public_html/critterforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/archive.pl --forum=1 --pop-host=critterweb.org --pop-user=tidepool@critterweb.org --pop-pass=xxxxx

What am I missing? Does it matter what port the pop server is bound to?

Thanks again for your help.

bob

Quote Reply
you don't need a forum user with the same email address. The eventual post owner will be the 'FROM' email address in the email, not a self-made user (unless you modify the code like I did Wink).

Where is your crontab file? I have a text file called cron_jobs. I have multiple mailarc calls (6 different accounts & forums) and my subscribe.pl call in the file. After any edits to the file you have to 'restart' the crontab ('crontab cron_jobs' in my case). I was, and still am, pretty ignorant about this stuff, so I apoligize if you know this stuff. After that it has worked just fine.

Your statement looks fine to me.

db
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] marlarc In reply to
If you don't need a forum user with the same email address, how do you subscribe them to the forum? Obviously i have something confused here...

My cron jobs are handled through Cpanel admin. Makes it pretty easy.

Maybe it is the port issue? I am using the GT pop_server on port 1300. The email i have subscribed to the mailing list is bound to this setup. Could this be a problem?

bob

Last edited by:

baidarkabob: Feb 5, 2003, 2:38 PM
Quote Reply
Try running the command from shell. What does it do?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
i ran this from shell

bash-2.05a$ bash-2.05a$ echo "'crontab -1'
> > */5**** /home/cribob/public_html/critterforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/archive.pl --forum=1 --pop-host=critterweb.org --pop-user=tidepool@critterweb.org --pop-pass=xxxxx | crontab -

Did not work. I am not a shell userWink so maybe i have something wrong here? I went back to my Cpanel cron admin and found that i did something that wiped the cron jobs that used to show up there... Could you help me undo what i just did? I can reenter the cron settings through the admin but how do I stop the cronjob i just set up with shell?

Back to mail arc. I know the cronjob was attempting "something" in my previous configuration (through the cpanel admin) because i am getting a bunch of admin emails - every five minutes - that say this:

An error occured while logging in: PASS POP Login failed: -ERR Username/Password Mismatch perhaps tidepool@yourdomain.com ? at /home/cribob/public_html/critterforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/MailArc.pm line 88.

What do you think?

bob

Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry, I mean run:

/home/cribob/public_html/critterforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/archive.pl --forum=1 --pop-host=critterweb.org --pop-user=tidepool@critterweb.org --pop-pass=xxxxx

to make sure the command works and completes successfully. Once you know the command works, then worry about getting it into cron.

As is, sounds like you have the wrong username/password for the pop account.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
same message when i run through shell. I have to ask about the port settings again because i just set the account up in a client and it pulled down all the messages with the same info i am putting into cron. Only difference is that I am telling the email client to listen to port 1200. Do i need to tell archive.pl to listen to port 1200?

bob

Quote Reply
Try adding:

--pop-port=1200

and see if that works.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
That did it!

Mark this one for the search engine - mailarc working with account using gossamer mail pop_server dictate port changes ...

Thanks Alex.

Quote Reply
What do I need to do to insure that html formatting is retained when mail is posted to a forum by mailarc?

Bob

Quote Reply
I too would like to know how to keep the html formatting in mailarc posts. At the moment, I get a blank post for items formatted with html -- no text is there at all.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I've been having the same problems described here, and I have confirmed the mailbox's username, password, and port (110) by testing from Outlook. When I run the command from shell it returns the incorrect login error described above. Any other thoughts on why this might be happening?

Many thanks.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] marlarc In reply to
Hi,

Turn debug on and see what GT::Mail::POP3 is passing to the pop server.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Brilliant - thanks! The password for the mailbox had a '$' in it, which I stupidly forgot to escape with a backslash. It's now working fine.

Thanks for your help.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund