Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Changing the default size of the Category and Forum titles

Quote Reply
Changing the default size of the Category and Forum titles
Which file contains these settings? I'd like to be able to make my category and forum titles a little longer so they don't get truncated. :-)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [anapot] Changing the default size of the Category and Forum titles In reply to
I should note that I've changed the cat_name and forum_name size variables to 75 in the Category.def and Forum.def files, but that doesn't seem to affect it. It's driving me crazy. CrazyUnsure

Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
Re: [anapot] Changing the default size of the Category and Forum titles In reply to
the categories are controlled by a global variable called <%header_font%> (look in the admin panel under templates and then global vars) -- the size comes from that.

forums are the same size as any other regular text on the page. If you want them to be something different in size you would more than likely have to hard code it into the template (category_list.html under the default templates). If you don't mind making all of the default text size smaller then <%body_font%> is the global variable that controls both the forum titles and regular text. It can also be found in the global vars section of the admin panel.

Herpeton
VegPeople.com

Quote Reply
Re: [herpeton] Changing the default size of the Category and Forum titles In reply to
I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not talking about how big the text appears, but the length of the title. The default title length is 50 characters, and I want to change it to something like 75. Smile
Quote Reply
Sorry about that anapot.

The settings you are trying to change are controlled by the database properties for those fields I believe.
For instance gforum_category table has the properties for cat_name set to varchar(50) and the gforum_Forum table has the properties for forum_name set to varchar(50). That (50) is a limit on the number of character in the fields. They can be changed but I don't know if there would be any impact on the program by changing that. I doubt there would be but I have never tried. If you have a test installation you may want to give changing the field properties a try.

Herpeton
VegPeople.com

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I should note that I've changed the cat_name and forum_name size variables to 75 in the Category.def and Forum.def files, but that doesn't seem to affect it. It's driving me crazy. CrazyUnsure

Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
I saw you changed the def files themselves -

I went into MySQLMan and looked at the actual table & field properties. I did a properties view of gfroum_forum and then did a change on the forum_name field. I changed the varchars setting to 75 and was able to add a forum via the gforum admin panel in my test environment with a name that was 65 characters long. It showed it on the main forum page fine but it did chop off the end when I went back into the admin interface to change or modify the forum -- the def files may help that, I haven't done much with those.

So maybe doing the database change itself and the def files together will work.
Sorry if this doesn't help you - just thought I would throw it out there in case it might.
Best of luck.

Herpeton
VegPeople.com

Last edited by:

herpeton: Jul 1, 2005, 12:44 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [herpeton] Changing the default size of the Category and Forum titles In reply to
I'm not sure of gforum, but in Links, you can modify some tables (add/delete/edit fields) from the admin directly (NOT mysqlman) which will also update the def files for you.

If that's not an option in GForum than it really should be added...

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Changing the default size of the Category and Forum titles In reply to
It seems like you should be able to do this via the admin panel as it states in the tools section when you click on a table:

Edit Forum Table Definition[/url]
Below is all the columns in your Forum table. By clicking on one of the column names, you can view more details as well as alter the column definition.

But at least in my installation which is the following versions:

Gossamer Forum Version: 1.2.1
GForum.pm version: 1.131
GT::SQL Version: 1.101
GT::Template Version: 2.106

You cannot actually click on title of a column as the instructions indicate. It shows them all but they are not links.
There seems to be no way to do anything but add an additional column, but nothing about changing the properties of an existing one. It seems at least at this point it would have to be manually changed in both the def file and the actual DB itself via a DB Admin Tool.

May be a bug in the admin interface that they are not showing as links so you can modify both the DB and the Def file from the Admin interface.

Herpeton
VegPeople.com

Quote Reply
You can try using GT::SQL::Table and GT::SQL::Editor. I've never tried altering properties with Editor, but I"ve used it (and GT::SQL::Creator) numerous times for adding fields and tables. I find it much safer to automate the def file updates than to manually key them in. I actually prefer writing scripts most of the time than to use a visual database manager.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.

Last edited by:

fuzzy logic: Jul 2, 2005, 5:33 PM