Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Windows Installer Comments

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Windows Installer Comments
Hi,

Please post any comments you had about the windows installer here. Let me know how it could be improved, did it even work, etc.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
Alex, I'm not sure what you're talking about. We're dealing with install on an NT server. Is that what you mean?
Quote Reply
Re: [Meredith] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
Hi Meredith,

Alex was refering to this announcement: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=187801

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Meredith] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
Hi Meredith,

This is in reference to: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=187801.

This new installer is a windows application that you run on any windows pc. When you run it, it will ask you if you are installing or upgrading Gossamer Forum. You then enter your FTP and MySQL information for where you want the program installed. It will then automate the process of ftp'ing install.cgi/install.dat up to your website and installing the program for you.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense,

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
When I went to download, it downloaded a 1k file, which not suprisingly, when opened gave me a 'this is not a valid win32 program' error.

Are you doing upgrades or something at the moment which I'm not aware of?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
I just downloaded it and it was fine. What browser are you using?

Adrian
Quote Reply
I get errors on DOS apps from time to time, but this is the worst I've encountered... I get three error messages, then a black DOS screen with a cursor jumping arouned the screen. Meanwhile I get random printer errors. I don't have a working printer so I couldn't tell you what it's trying to print.

Attached are screen shots.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Post deleted by Wil In reply to

Last edited by:

Wil: Mar 20, 2002, 2:16 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [King Junko II] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
That's weird because it's not a console app. It's a Windows GUI app (like the Microsoft Installer). Are you sure it downloaded properly?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
I am (and was) using IE6 on Windows 98.

It's downloading fine now!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
I could have swore I did... I looked at the program from TextPad and saw HTML source code and some jibberish about redirection. I hate these redirection things... are they really that necessary? I clicked on the link normally instead of right-click and save and it's downloading the whole 1.7MB file now.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

Please post any comments you had about the windows installer here. Let me know how it could be improved, did it even work, etc.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex - one word for you - amazing!!

Incredibly good idea, this is going to make installation for non-techies amazingly simple and very sleek and professional too!

wow! :-)

Congrats!

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi Wil,

Thanks! Does that mean it worked ok?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I like the way it remembers your settings if you need to redo the install. I assume it uses an ini file or something.
Quote Reply
Don't know yet - because I can't use it in work as there is no room to configure a proxy server (hopefully this will be added), so I cannot connect to my FTP server unfortunatly.

Roll on 5'o'clock! I can't wait to try it from home. *Looks* great though - I'm very excited by the impact this could have! :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Windows Installer Comments In reply to
In Reply To:
I like the way it remembers your settings if you need to redo the install. I assume it uses an ini file or something.

Yeah. It stores your information (bar passwords) in a file called 'gt_forum.opt' in your Windows Temporary directory - usually c:\windows\temp.

- wil
Quote Reply
It doesnt seem to work for me. It uploaded install.cgi then install.dat and as soon as install.dat was fully uploaded I got:
Quote Reply
Can you click 'View Log' and do a ctrl-a, ctrl-c (copy the log) and email it to me so I can see what went wrong?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Oh damn I killed it before I saw the post....will have to try again.
Quote Reply
Ok I just tried for the third time and it reported a 500 error trying to run test.cgi

06:38:22 PM: [Send testfile.cgi file]
06:38:22 PM: TYPE I
06:38:22 PM: 200 Type set to I.
06:38:22 PM: PASV
06:38:23 PM: 227 Entering Passive Mode (207,230,62,135,161,149).
06:38:23 PM: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for testfile.cgi
06:38:23 PM:
06:38:23 PM: 226 Transfer complete.
06:38:23 PM: [Success]
06:38:23 PM: [Make it executable]
06:38:23 PM: SITE CHMOD 755 testfile.cgi
06:38:23 PM: 200 SITE CHMOD command successful.
06:38:23 PM: [Now try to run it via the http url (www.wiredon.net/cgi-bin/exe_installer/testfile.cgi)]
06:38:24 PM: [HTTP headers returned: 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error']
Quote Reply
I scrapped everything . Im starting attempt 4 Cool
Quote Reply
Hi,

Can you check your server error logs and see what was reported as an error running testfile.cgi?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Frown......

>>
[Thu Mar 21 02:42:34 2002] [error] [client 213.106.15.150] (12)Cannot allocate memory: getgrgid: invalid groupid 2522
[Thu Mar 21 02:42:34 2002] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: exec of /home/httpd/vhosts/wiredon.net/cgi-bin/exe_installer/testfile.cgi failed
<<

I've been getting that error for a while and not figured out the reason. The group id does exist :(

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 20, 2002, 11:06 AM
Quote Reply
Bingo, 4th time lucky.

http://www.wiredon.net/...installer/gforum.cgi
Quote Reply
Hi,

That usually means an invalid Group setting in Apache.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
> >