Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Message Header

Quote Reply
Message Header
Is there a way to have an expandable message header? Like XML documents, or using Javascript a little + icon by the summary information in the left hand bar <-

When clicked on it would give me more details about the post, or poster (like age,location, send private message etc.). I think this would be a nice feature. The layout stays the same but you have an option just to expand what information you see.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say here? :-\

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Message Header In reply to
I do...this used to be available at the Discussion Forum at http://www.cfhub.com...although didn't work in Netscape.

The better cross-browser compatible option would be to have a pop-up window with the content that you recommended...of course, this wouldn't work either if someone has disabled javascript in their browser.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] Message Header In reply to
Quote:
of course, this wouldn't work either if someone has disabled javascript in their browser.

You don't need javascript to make a popup.

You'd use target="newwin" and link to a perl routine to display the data like:

<a href="gforum.cgi?do=profile" target="newwin">

....although again it seems like a pointless addition for distribution as you may as well just click their username to see their profile.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Message Header In reply to
Uh..Paul, I was not talking about opening a new window, but a "pop-up" window which DOES NEED JAVASCRIPT ENABLED TO WORK! Mad
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I was making a suggestion....it is a public form which allows people to provide a wide range of opinions and ideas....there's no need to get stroppy when someone doesn't agree with everything you say.
Quote Reply
Well, you should read posts more carefully...I distinctly stated pop-up window in my original reply...your initial reply was inaccurate since it did not address my reply...
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I consider pop-ups to be windows that open in a new browser as they "pop-up"
Quote Reply
Not me...may be asking a question rather than assuming and belitting other postings would be best.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I do apologise. Silly me.
Quote Reply
Yipe! Someone else understands what I meant. <g>.

Personally, I don't like pop-ups, but I can see how this is a good cross-platform sacrifice (if that's the correct word).

But it would be really neat if you could have a little + icon by the username, which wne clicked on expanded the colum into more information, including an option to send private message, maybe more information about the post (it's post # <g><g><g>!).

Has any thought been given into this? Anyone else think it would be a nice additional feature?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Message Header In reply to
I could live without it. If I really want to view info about a keyword (like username or the thread itself) in the forum, I'll click on the link.

While I thought the feature at http://www.cfhub.com was interesting and nifty, in terms of usability and accessibility, it does absolutely nothing for me.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Yep. It's not a neccessary feature. I just think it would be very nifty. A bit like XML to be honest. i might try this on my local copy and see what I can do.

- wil