Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Hosting

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Hosting
I'm looking for a free host to test this forum out on, I have a paid host were it will be used (maybe) but i only have one database so cannot test it out as i would like to do. I have it running OK but need to try to intergrate into the rest of my site which is using thatware.
I have space at f2s.com but they dont have the dbi mods installed so it dont workMad
Does anybody know anyone or will i have to try to set windowzz to do it off line.
Ain't this fun...
Quote Reply
Re: [John R] Hosting In reply to
Quote:
i only have one database so cannot test it out as i would like to do.
You don't need another database. All Gossamer products support table prefixes, so you can install all our products into 1 single database, but have prefixes so that tables with the same name won't conflict (after they have the prefix added to it). You can just install Gossamer Forum into your current database with a prefix, so that all the tables will be something like gforum_Users, gforum_Posts, etc...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Hosting In reply to
Thanks I understand that bit, but its "thatware" that i cannot duplicate, hence the need for a free host to test.
Ain't this fun...
Quote Reply
just load up apache for windows, and mysql for windows and ... Wink

Adrian
Quote Reply
www.hypermart.net

absolutely sucks, but it's the only free host I know that support MySQL databases and gives you full perl access.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Hosting In reply to
Wil, note brewt's last post Wink

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 22, 2001, 5:06 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Hosting In reply to
Ugh.

Apache on Windows, running MySQL?

<< shudder >>

Stick to specific Windows software, that was actually written and designed for Windows in the first place if you're going down that route.

- wil
Quote Reply
So what evidence do you have as a good case for not using Apache/MySQL on Windows?

Apache and MysQL are both specifically written for windows, thats why they have binaries Tongue

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 22, 2001, 5:17 AM
Quote Reply
No, they get ported onto Windows. None of them were orginally developed on Windows, and tested on Windows.

Apache has been developed for years by a strong group of developers world wide using and running the system on Unix platforms. The Win32 version of Apache has only been around for 3 odd years (maybe a little more in development), and if you read the documentation that comes with the Win32 Apache, I think the file is called 'Win32.txt' or something it actually warns you that it is not really thought as a stable server, and they ask people not to do any bench marking tests with it, as it will not ever be as fast or as secure as the *ix variants.

Read that doc and see.

My argument is, and always has been; why don't you use software that was actually built for Windows ?? Apache, Perl, MySQL were never ever meant to be run on Windows when they were first developed. They have reached their stable environment now after years of development on *ix platforms by a very strong and dedicated team. That is simply not true for the Windows equivalent of these software.

Why don't you install IIS and the equivelant MS SQL database system? I believe the MS database drivers come loaded onto Windows anyway, or how would Access work?

- wil
Quote Reply
Haha doesn't sound like much of an argument saying that they weren't originally written for Windows and "read the docs"

How can you even suggest Access/IIS - that is even worse.

Well I think I'll stick with Apache/MySQL until I hear something to persuade me it's not a good idea.

Quote:
Why don't you install IIS and the equivelant MS SQL database system?

Because I want to use Apache/MySQL which is what Im most familiar with and what I want to learn about and what is used on the main server. There would be absolutely no point in installing IIS/Access/MS SQL when Im writing scripts for unix/linux using mysql
Quote Reply
Note these two lines in the Apache Win32 documentation:

Windows support is entirely experimental, and is recommended only for experienced users.

Apache on NT has not yet been optimized for performance. Apache still performs best, and is most reliable on Unix platforms.

- wil
Quote Reply
I never disputed that it is more stable on *nix

The point I am making is that there is nothing wrong with using Apache/MySQL for development on Windows.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 22, 2001, 6:01 AM
Quote Reply
Paul. They were not written for Windows originally. That is not an argument, it's a very simple fact.

Hmm. I really think you ought to do some more homework on databases. It doesn't really matter what database you use as your database, as long as you have the necessary drivers installed. All the big databases are built around a common node which is SQL (structured query language).

What you are affectively doing, and 'learning', is to intergrate A database with Perl, using the DBI module, and various drivers. The handles used will be common for all databases, well 99% of the time anyway.

- wil
Quote Reply
I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with it, either. I'm only asking 'why'? If you have a more stable environemt, that is a MS SQL database at the click of your fingers ??

Why not use programs that were written for a Win32 platform on Win32 platforms and use programs that were written for linux on linux?

- wil
Quote Reply
I think we are going round in circles Wil. Let's agree to disagree.
Quote Reply
OK. That got my post count up, anyway ;-)

I think you really ought to read up more on DBI, though. From my understanding (which is very limited), you use the same handles to access information from any SQL database. It doesn't really make a different what database you use.

Get the book 'Programming the Perl DBI' for more information.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
I think you really ought to read up more on DBI, though.

There isn't a single person in the world who uses perl who couldn't do without some more reading.

But I do actually know how DBI works. I probably do more reading than quite a few people. Just takes a while to sink in Angelic

Quote Reply
LOL.

Can you recommend a good book for me on mod_perl by any chance ?

- wil
Quote Reply
A good starter may be:

http://www.ora.com/catalog/modperlpr/

Cheap too :)
Quote Reply
Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
for further clarification....

you're arguments against Windows are half-assed. You're making complete generalizations against Windows OS's and Microsft in general without any REAL reasons. I will give you that Win9* is not very stable... I know that from personal experience. I've used win95,98, and ME. My computer regularly crashed all the time. But it has always been the case that the NT OS's are much more stable. I installed win2kpro the other day. 2k is like a crossoever port of win98 and winnt (5 I think) and have very few problems since. Current uptime 2 days 10 hours 3 minuts. if you don't count rebooting after installing software, that's really almost a week without any crashes. Aside from their 9x OS's, most of their software is pretty good. (I said "MOST").

also funny how you recommend Paul to read up on DBI (as if you're the expert now), despite how you even said you have limited knowledge! And MSSQL does NOT come bundled with any Windows OS. You must buy it seperately.

Hm... a rant about Linux now... I've run Linux Mandrake 7.1 for over a year. I've never been satisfied with it. First reason: I have a winmodem (6 of them, from over the years). in fact, most people these days have winmodems. winmodems don't generally work on Linux systems? Why, there are no drivers available for them. Why is that? Many hardware/software companies still do not find Linux important enough to support. This brings me to my second reason: Where the hell do you buy Linux software at? Third reason: the average user does NOT know anything about command line. Too bad some of the best linux programs are command line only.

Ah.. macs are nice too. who thought up draging disk drive icons into the trashcan in order to eject floppies/CDs?? That's not to say macs are bad. Our schools had nothing but Apple IIe's all the way through middle school. I spent a lot of time trying to learn BASIC... they still have their uses. I use my old monitor as a fish tank... but at least you can find software for Macs.

okay sorry about that. I've wanted to say this for a very long time. now it's off my chest and your free to start a jihad against me...

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Hosting In reply to
There's no reason not to use Apache/MySQL on Windows for development, I wouldn't run a server with it that was live, but to develop is fine. However, some of your points I disagree with.

Quote:
winmodems don't generally work on Linux systems

Hence the name winmodems. Winmodems are a bad idea, spend the extra $20 and get a modem that doesn't use so much of your cpu.

Quote:
Where the hell do you buy Linux software at

http://www.freshmeat.net -- you don't, it's almost all free, everything from an office suite http://www.sun.com/...star/staroffice/5.2/ to accounting software http://www.gnucash.org/ is freely available (no more intuit, thank god).

Quote:
Third reason: the average user does NOT know anything about command line

Now, that's valid. However, if you are not an average user, then you can really do a lot with linux.

My biggest gripe about Linux? No decent browser. IE 5.5 is really the only browser out there I can handle on a day to day basis.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Hosting In reply to
I was shocked and pleased that Mandrake 8.1 supported by brand new UK cable modem and it seems to give higher downstream speeds that Windows. Do you know why that might be?

....what i don't like about Mandrake is the mouse slowness and Gnome makes me dizzy.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 22, 2001, 9:37 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Hosting In reply to
Thanks for your comments, Drew.

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Hosting In reply to
Yes i have that set uo already Wink using http://www.firepages.com.au/phpdev3.htm works well for testing php, but it dont support perl so i am looking at getting some abriasoft software. Also i'm just setting up linux as well on my system (mandrake 8.1) or would i be better of with red hat 7.0 ?
Just when you think you got a bit of time to sort stuff out along comes some nice new software and wham you ain't got enough hours in a day...Blush

Ain't this fun...
> >