Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Activation Code

Quote Reply
Activation Code
From a snippet in the Chit-Chat forum ...

Anyway; this is actually a "bug" in the forum software. I registered that name, and deleted the email with the activation code. That means, I could never log in - and here's the bug; there's no button there to "resend activation code" - so if you register and loose the email, that's it! game over, the username is gone and you're stumped. I think this needs to be looked at.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Activation Code In reply to
Yes please! I get to validate at least 20 people a day manually because we're having issues with mail going out, and let me tell ya, it's not fun :)

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
One suggestion, Wil, you could send out an automatic reminder (via Cron or AT Scheduler for Windows) to your users...like I do, I, well, the server sends out reminder emails to "registered", but not validated users for five days that includes their activation code...if they don't validate or respond by the fifth notice, their account is automatically deleted...

Just a thought..bye, bye!
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Mar 8, 2002, 12:21 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Activation Code In reply to
Good idea! Let's see this as part of the standard dist. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
It would'nt be too hard to write...just write a script that includes the following:

1) Queries the Users table.
2) Checks the Validation column and Counter column.
3) Send out emails to those that haven't vaildated their account.
4) Update the Counter column.
5) Delete the users who are contacted five times.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Yes, but after thinking, this does bring us off the original posting a little bit.

What I wanted to see was the option on the forum, on the log-in page to re-send you your activation code.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
It should be pretty simple. Just a matter of asking for their email address then doing something like:

my $eml = $IN->param('email_field');
my $rec = $DB->select( { user_email => $eml }, ['user_val_code'] )->fetchrow_hashref;

....make sure the user exists bla bla and send $rec->{user_val_code} in an email.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Activation Code In reply to
Yeah, it's just that I think it should be part of the standard dist. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Guess so. Just talking out loud :)

Edit: Hmm that should be "thinking"

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 9, 2002, 8:09 AM
Quote Reply
How does it??? I provided a suggestion that addresses the ultimate goal of your request. I REALLY Mad don't think that it is off-topic, Wil.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Well, IMO, it was not the ultimate goal. I don't actually want to send out any more emails than neccessary to forum members. But what would be handy is, was originaly stated in my OP, a button on the sign-up page labeled "re-send activation code" that would do exactly that.

- wil