Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Over loading the servor?

Quote Reply
Over loading the servor?
Hi,

Is having a very complex category structure not recommended? I am going to use mod perl, but it looks like we are going to have 750 categories in the 'tree' of our forum. I have no real clue on if that is beyond what our server can handle... Any ideas on this anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] Over loading the servor? In reply to
We have 2400 and run static. It does not even budge the CPU almost.

You are very safe at 750!Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Over loading the servor? In reply to
So you are running a 750 megahertz? With how much ram, mod perl? Thank you.
Quote Reply
833 with a gig on NT4

Raid 4 SCSI drives
edit: We are not running Mod Perl. That will even help you more!

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Sep 2, 2002, 12:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Over loading the servor? In reply to
Okay, thank you I feel better now Angelic.
Quote Reply
As of 1.1.2, Gossamer Forum's categories use the same internal mechanism as is used for threads, which is designed to be very fast and very scalable - it should work well even with a tree of tens of thousands of records. It was designed with Links SQL in mind, in which you can have millions of categories. Now, that said, it hasn't actually been used in Links SQL, but it should be able to handle even the potentially massive category structure of Links SQL without difficulty.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Over loading the servor? In reply to
Will this be implemented in Links SQL in the near future (I presume you are speaking of GT::SQL::Tree)?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Over loading the servor? In reply to
Possibly, I'm not sure yet. Links SQL uses a much simpler method of maintaining a tree structure, and I'm not yet sure whether using GT::SQL::Tree would have a worthwhile advantadge (currently GT::SQL::Tree allows very fast lookups either way, up the tree or down the tree, Links SQL only allows very fast lookups down the tree, however that is the common case).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.