Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Attachment test

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Parent tag in message header In reply to
OK. I guess we differ on what our goals are.

I'm seeking increased usability and eas-of-use. I want to be able to navigate and get to the ifnromation I want quickly and with ease.

Don't really care about the colours, images and attractivness.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Parent tag in message header In reply to
Quote:
I'm seeking increased usability and eas-of-use. I want to be able to navigate and get to the ifnromation I want quickly and with ease.

Me too but cluttering the subject line with ID numbers and a duplicate "Re:" seems to contradict your "goals"

Quote:
Don't really care about the colours, images and attractivness.

I bet your vistors do Tongue
Post deleted by Wil In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Subject: Parent tag in message header In reply to
I just think that, or I like should I say the more old fashioned methos. I really do think that all posts should be with an envelope header, like so:

To: Paul
From Wil
Subject: Parent tag in message header
Re: 182930

Message body.

I think that would look a million times better.

Have you taken a look at gougle groops recently ???

Last edited by:

Wil: Nov 1, 2001, 7:25 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Subject: Parent tag in message header In reply to
That would take up way too much space doing it that way.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Subject: Parent tag in message header In reply to
I'll have to disagree, Paul.

http://groups.google.com/...Dcomp.lang.perl.misc

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Takes up an extra line, that's all. Looks good too.

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
Takes up an extra line, that's all

How do you work that out? It takes up 4 extra lines. Well 3 if you don't include the subject as its already there.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 1, 2001, 8:53 AM
Quote Reply
And you're gaining space by getting rid of your left hand nav bar.

Don't worry. I don't want an argument about it. After all, that's what templates are for. I just don't understand the current theme and the way it's layed out.

I think a lot of BBs on the web are just copying each other for style. In fact, they're all nearly identical. And I don't agree with this basic layout. I think the idea of a message header, which has been in use with email and usenet systems for well over a few decades now, is the best tried and tested way. And I think this method should be implamented on these boards.

Why not try something new and different? A new style, maybe? I wouldn't mind designing a set of templates based on my ideas, and you can see what I think.

I just simply feel that the style of all these BBs on the web ain't working and it ain't right.

I really like Google's new layout, although I do disagree strongly with the use of frames.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
Why not try something new and different? A new style, maybe?

I think Gossamer Forum is a great deal different to most.

But as you say...it is probably easy enough to make the changes on your own copy.
Quote Reply
I've moving this thread to the Questions, Comments & Suggestions forum as it is more relevant there.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
interesting -- google groups. the mail format works well there because of the left bar. With the current G-forum look having 3-4 lines is a bit too much of a block.

yeah, in sense I can see where G-Forums looks like many others. smart though, covers both sides of the coin -- threaded version and flat version -- Smile UBB and wwwThreads. Of course there are some minor differences but lots of those have come about during the beta testing stage.

I would be interested in seeing your idea Will. But google's sytem really needs a bit of time to get used to and jumping through lots of groups is bit of a pain in the arse. I wonder if enough people compliant, complain, and suggest that a new system could be put together and help give G-Forum a difference factor that lots of other forums don't have.

yeah,yeah I know that the code is solid so it's not that type of problem.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Subject: Parent tag in message header In reply to
Quote:
is bit of a pain in the arse

Are you Japanese or American or English?.....that sounds very English to me Wink

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 1, 2001, 3:40 PM
Quote Reply
Barf....

Just went to google groups....I have to say the frames suck - looks like they threw the design together in 10 minutes. (Yes I realise it is a complexed setup)

(Watch the smilie for 10 seconds to see my thoughts)

Quote Reply
Why yes, I believe that it does! eh!

Laugh I forgot that some of the Queen's men are here! Blush

I was born and raised on the big continent near the border, have parents from the main continent and now live on an island. And I really had wanted to go to this year's CNE!

Oh well, had to substitue for much smaller Japanese version with goldfish dipping and crepes!

Quote Reply
Laugh

thats a cool smiley, I saw another over at WebHostTalk that had a machine gun.

Quote Reply
I have about 200 and they rule :)

Whoops....sorry getting offtopic

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 1, 2001, 3:59 PM
Quote Reply
It would be nice to have [in reply to: #57575] and the message number in there. Maks more sense IMO.

By the way, I'm not trying to criticise and put down GT at all. I'm just picky about design. However, I do reallly like the design and layout of the current forum, and it seems that a lot of people are very happy with it.

And what is much mroe improtant, is that the backend is absolutely flying fast at the moment. And with that all in place, who cares what colour the forum is? :-)

- wil
> >