Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Speed Error!

Quote Reply
Speed Error!
I keep getting speed errors while trying to pull pages from this forum?! It's a 403, where it complains that I have pulled more than 20 pages from the server in a minute, and it thinks that I'm a spider.

Any chance you could disable this, as I'm pulling a load of pages to view offline later, but I have to stop for a mintue every so often for my IP to clear.

What gives?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Speed Error! In reply to
Im just getting speed problems in general :(

It takes about 20-30 seconds per page and then I get an App Server Error and then it is ok for half an hour and then the same thing happens.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Speed Error! In reply to
This is the error I'm getting:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/errors/speed.htm

- wil
Quote Reply
Cool Smile -- errr ... not you getting the error, but the error catching system.

hmmm then what about google ? and other cached spidering systems ?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hi,

We've been having problems with some robots lately. One in particular 'Teleport Pro' would try and request every page in the forum very, very, quickly. It ended up slowing everything down, and ocassionally triggering our web server restart (giving that good ol 502 error).

Can you set your offline viewer to not request pages so quickly?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Hmm, well Jason has been working all at last week on the next beta of the forum, and internally we have speed improvements of upwards 900%. So once we get the next release on (hopefully tommorrow), things should be flying.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Speed Error! In reply to
Quote:
hmmm then what about google ? and other cached spidering systems ?

Most spiders, Google included, don't request more then 1 or 2 pages a minute from the same host.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Speed Error! In reply to
WOW 900%?

I'm drooling......

How on earth can he do that?....does he have the magic touch?

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 10:53 AM
Quote Reply
could somebody explain what 900% speed increase means ... serious ! errrrrr ....

IF 0.9.4 let's say runs at 50 km/hour (typically max speed in Japan) and a 900% spped increase would be like driving a GTR then ? no ? equaling ??? helll I'm horrible at math !! Crazy

or for Mac heads an upgrade from 10.0.0 to 10.1 -- coool Cool

ummm ... bet they have reduced the number of queries to SQL and other functions. Alex mentioned something about a check that watches the queries going on and possibly turning off debugging functions ???.

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Speed Error! In reply to
If a page was taking 30 seconds to load, a 900% increase should mean it would load in

(30/9) = 3.33 seconds

Now I haven't done math in ummm 4 yrs so lets not analyse it for too long lol

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 3:54 PM
Quote Reply
Blush

I see ... had trouble with that this morning. golly and I went to uni too Shocked

cool, then only your browser will be the laggard so to say then Cool

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Speed Error! In reply to
Hi Alex

Yeah, it's no problem. It was actually a program written by myself, which I rearly use. Only when I log in from home, actually, which is a very rare occasion these days.

Ever heard the phrase 'a buss drivers holiday'??

- wil