Problem with self installer.......

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [philm] Problem with self installer....... In reply to
You'll need to edit /admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm and /admin/defs/database.def

I hope GT don't mind:

http://box.perlmad.com/GForum.zip

Oh and you'll need to change the path to perl in gforum.cgi, admin,cgi, nph-email.cgi and db.cgi.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 5:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Problem with self installer....... In reply to
Paul!!!!!!

Take that down now!!!! Why the hell do you think GT are validating each user by email instead of just making this publicly available for download!

Yikes!!

- wil
Post deleted by RedRum In reply to

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 6:48 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Problem with self installer....... In reply to
Quote:
Why the hell do you think GT are validating each user by email instead of just making this publicly available for download!

Well Im guessing it was for research to see who was downloading. There is not much else that can be done with an email address so it isn't being requested to verify on which site you are using the software.

The software is time limited so even if anyone downloaded the unpacked zip then they are only getting the same version as everyone else downloaded.

It's not really a big deal, either way the link isnt active.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 6:55 AM
Quote Reply
You should always ask the copyright holder before redistributing his or her's work.

Technically, I'm sure you have broken a licence agreement already. You just can't go round posting and distributing other's software without their consent.

My (over)reaction derived from personal experiences of trying to keep control over beta software, and trying my best to discourage others from posting and distributing.

If the software starts to get posted around the web, GT will be given a bad reputation of releasing buggy, beta software. People might not realize that it's from GT, they will lack support, they will not be aware of the licence, they will not check back the site for updates, Alex will not have their email addresses on record to contact if security patch is needed etc. etc. etc.

There is a reason behind controlled distribution, and strict licensing, which you must learn to respect.

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jul 8, 2005, 3:24 AM
Post deleted by RedRum In reply to

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 8:40 AM
Quote Reply
Maybe on reflection it would have been better to pm the link to philm privately or ask GT first but I still think some of the points you made were a bit OTT.....at the end of the day I posted the link to help philm get an unpacked copy so he could try it out....

--- End of messages ---

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 8:40 AM
Quote Reply
Good. I'm not going to start flaming and what not about this. I was just trying to get my strong opinion across.

I'm sure Alex is peed off enough as it is at the hundreds of sites out there running Links without giving GT any credit, or money.

GT provide code to download, and use before you buy and that's a great thing! It would be a shame to see all of GTs products go down the route of GT Mail and GT Links SQL by not providing a download before you part your money.

And the more people abuse and disrespect the terms of use that accompany their software, the more Alex will have to take stronger measures to guard his intellectual properties.

Surely you can understand and respect this.

- wil

Last edited by:

Quote Reply
I know you're just trying to help, Paul. And you're doing a great job, too. You've dedicated a lot of your time to help others, and I'm sure a lot of users, and GT recognize and are thankful for this.

I'm not trying to be awkward and I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just happen to have strong views on this issue. As I said, the strength of my views derive from my own personal experience and headache, which many fellow perl hackers have shared over the years on the web.

Now let's get back to helping the poor chap who had the problem in the first place :=)

- wil

Last edited by:

Quote Reply
The point being though that it is time-limited software so if anyone had got a copy (which they didn't), it would only have been the same copy that everyone else got.

Let's not forget who brought up the idea.....

Quote:
Just ask Alex, or anyone for that matter, for a copy of their folder.

ironic?

I thought, ah yes I'll do that to give philm the chance to try out gforum, not to get slated by the guy who thought up the idea.

anyway it is a pointless discussion now as the link isnt active and i dont have anything left to say.

Quote:
Now let's get back to helping the poor chap who had the problem in the first place :=)
that is what i attempted to do

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 18, 2001, 8:57 AM
Quote Reply
ok i missed your last post above...truce?
Quote Reply
I'm too old to fight.... I'll be 20 in Feburary :-)

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
I thought you were about 35 Cool ....strange how age is timeless on the Internet

Im 20.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 19, 2001, 3:59 AM
> >