Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

[email] => [mailto]

Quote Reply
[email] => [mailto]
Wouldn't it make more sense if the markup tag was actually [mailto]? Or at least can you throw in [mailto] as well? Kind of makes more of a logical sense to me.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] [email] => [mailto] In reply to
As a power user, yes, for novice users who do not understand HTML syntax/coding, makes better sense.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Chewbaca: Nov 1, 2001, 7:51 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] [email] => [mailto] In reply to
Yep. That's why it would be nice to have both :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Seems like a totally pointless excercise.....why on earth can't you just type [email] ....why do you need both?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] [email] => [mailto] In reply to
Because I find [mailto] a more logical tag. I didn't look at the markup and assumed that [mailto] was the tag when posting a message and later found out this wasn't true.

Don't you think this makes more sense?

- wil
Quote Reply
One or the other not both. You said you want a forum easy to use....well by duplicating tags people are gonna get confused and start asking "Well whats the difference between address....not everyone associates mailto with email addresses.

You need to consider a wider audience not just yourself.
Quote Reply
I am. And especially for this board, where 90% of visitors are bound to be developers themselves (we're not exactly looking at a fly fishing forum, are we?) then a mailto tag would make a lot more logical sense.

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
where 90% of visitors are bound to be developers themselves

That couldn't be more wrong. The reason the forum is here is _because_ lots of newbies (and not so newbiesBlush) need help and advice.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 1, 2001, 9:05 AM
Quote Reply
Yes, Paul. But the nature of GT's products are quite complex systems. If you can put together a whole directory web site like Yahoo! with a strong MySQL based backend and work your way around mod_perl I'm sure you've created a mailto: link somewhere along your path to becoming a web developer.

Surely?

- wil
Quote Reply
I think we are gettting away from the point.

I think I will agree to disagree again and leave it at that. Blush

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 1, 2001, 9:10 AM
Quote Reply
Please don't think Im picking on you or anything ....I'm just trying to express my thoughts (a little forcefully) Cool

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 1, 2001, 9:19 AM
Quote Reply
Well, I think this is one of the things where the default should be simple (or yes, you will get people asking what the difference between them are), and if the admin or users want it for that particular install, they can add it (since it's a simple change).

Adrian