Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Problem with self installer.......

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Problem with self installer.......
Hi all,

In the browser when the installer is copying the files into the relevant dir. it stops after a few minutes without finishing. The log message is below....

Code:
[Mon Oct 15 05:06:24 2001] [error] [client XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] Premature end of script headers:
/x/xxx/xxxxx/cgi-local/gforum/gforum.cgi

Is there any other way to extract other than telnet? i don't have that access.

Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [philm] Problem with self installer....... In reply to
you might be able to extract to your hard drive and then upload after, but then there might a sh_t load of permission problems to worry about ...

it's something I thought about before ... but .... I wonder if you mimic the file directory then try to expand ...

oh welll .... just a shot in the dark until a guru stops by ...

good luck

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hi,

Very strange. Does it always stop in the same place, or random places? The premature end of script headers doesn't sound right if you actually got output to the screen, can you look if there were any other errors?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Problem with self installer....... In reply to
Yes, it always stops inthe same place. I tried to re-install and run it 3 times from my first version. I then re-downloaded a fresh copy incase it was corrupt, and that stops in exactly the same place.

Code:
Unarchiving (666) /x/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/gforum/admin/templates/default/lost_password_enter_username.html
Unarchiving (666) /x/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/gforum/admin/templates/default/lost_password_sent.html
Unarchiving (666) /x/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/gforum/admin/templates/default/markup_help.html
Unarchiving (666) /x/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/gforum/a

Quote:

It gets to here and stops. The browser thinks it's finished, no more activity...... game over.

Unsure
Quote Reply
OK, so, i do all my stuff on a mac and thought maybe something was getting screwed up somewhere along the line. I decided to try it on the PC, I got a new key, downland, upload, install...wir..wir...wir.... bang, same thing same place on my pc this time.

Definately something wrong this end with the server i think, maybe some timeout cgi execution thingy. Anyone know if there's is such a thing, surely i can't be the only one in the world this has happened to?

Crazy
Quote Reply
hehe the mac fanatic here is OK !! no problems ...

a really strange question but do you have enough space ??? it's like 16 megs or something like that ... 7.4 for the installer files and the about 9.9 for the expanded version ... I have no idea if untarring is like stuffit on a mac ... needing a little more than both combined to expanded ...

of course I could be way wrong about this.

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Problem with self installer....... In reply to
The same thing happened on his pc........the chances of 2 hard drives having less than 16MB free is slim to none :)

Strange problem though.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 16, 2001, 5:02 AM
Quote Reply
hehehe, yeh we have 275MB total and 236MB left to play with!!! Wink

I'm gonna email tech support just incase there's some kind of server limit in place. I've never actually installed anything through the browser in this way before.

Keep ya'll informed......... Tongue
Quote Reply
Sly I did say I could be waaaaaayyyyyy wrong didn't I Wink

Tay, next question is what kind of server? errr NT / NIX ?

sounds like an interesting problem to stay informed of ... for those odd ball occasions !

Quote Reply
i've just sent an email, which took ages to type, to tech support. Hopefully they can help? It'd unix space by the way. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Hey RedRum, I take it your the guy from the sitepoint forums, or was it web design forums, can't remember now.....Laugh
Quote Reply
>>Hey RedRum, I take it your the guy from the sitepoint forums, or was it web design forums, can't remember now.....<<

Nope, not me - ya must be thinking of someone else.....is there another RedRum?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Problem with self installer....... In reply to
oops, sorry... Blush RedRum, it was this board but a different section when i was after some help with customizing dbman.

Worry not your unique status has been restored, and i need to stop looking at so many bloody forums.....Tongue

P.S. no response from support yet about the above problem.
Quote Reply
lol Cool
Quote Reply
hi my learn'ed colleagues...Wink

Here is the email from my tech support guy, i've emailed him back to clarify the 'memory' implication he mentions.

Quote:
Hi,

The script is core dumping before it completes running.

A core file is created in the current directory when various errors
occur. Errors such as memory-address violations, illegal
instructions, bus errors, and user-generated quit signals commonly
cause a core dump.

You may want to the error and possibly the core file to the vendors
of the forum, as they may be able to trouble shoot the problem, but
I think it may be just that you are out of memory. If you do not
need the core file, you should delete it as it is about 10Mb in size.

If you want a pretty decent forum, try the phpbb forum,
www.phpbb.com. I have instaled this on a couple of sites and it
seems very good. It is easy to install and works well and it is
free too.

Thanks
Will Jessop

I have the 10mb 'core' if anyone needs it emailed..... Cool
Quote Reply
Quote:
If you want a pretty decent forum, try the phpbb forum,

haha, he obviously has never heard of GT.....I bet he thinks you are trying to install a poorly written piece of junk.

Sure, why not paste the dump here Angelic....NOT REALLY! hehe...
Quote Reply
yeh the same thing had occurred to me, they tend to think your just trying to botch a website with some flaky script, and instead of actually trying to get to the bottom of the problem just give you some 'gobble de gook' about errors and core dumps'......Angelic

Anyhow kids, stay tuned for the next exciting installment of 'Tech Support' when it gets to me.....Sly
Quote Reply
I've just been doing some research and my findings suggest that the server is causing the problem, not GForum......it is a perl issue.

Quote Reply
Hi,

In the next beta, we have added a "lite" option to the installer. Normally the installer does a md5 checksum for every file. The purpose of this is when you upgrade, it can tell which files you have changed, and which ones you haven't. This makes it easy for backing up only changed files.

However, if you don't have the Digest::MD5 module, doing the md5 checksum can be a bit slow. The lite option will skip the checksums and should speed up on the installer on sites that have troubles.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
interesting comments by your tech support ... hehe. sounds like the person doesn't know why the installer is causing the core dump.

ummm ... tech support mentions that you have a 10 meg file but how many? how much of your space is being used up? the tech leaves a lot open to questions.

haha, he mentions phpBB .... errr 1.4.x series is not that bad. But phpBB 2.0 will seriously be able to contend with vBulletin and Gossamer Forum -- especially since it's free with the catch of leaving the copyright. The 1.4.x series might be said as poorly witten but speeds are great and phpBB 2.0 (still beta) I doubt will be mentioned as poorly written.

here's the addy : http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ the so to say owner is from Vancouver too.

needless to say, but, I'm moving all my forums hopefully eventually away from phpBB to G-Forum cuz herez my first home.

Oh well ... hmmmm ... do LinkSQL, (guessing now ...) Gossamer Mail and DBManSQL install fine? If so then what's the difference between the G-Forum installer and the others ??

Quote Reply
I don't think it is the installer although it could be possible as there are still a couple of bugs in it.
Quote Reply
Oooo to be fair phpbb2 does look cool but I think thats more the nice graphics than anything else.
Quote Reply
just an idea ...

it worked for my though, thank goodness ... and sure do like what I'm seeing Smile

Quote Reply
Quote:
Oh well ... hmmmm ... do LinkSQL, (guessing now ...) Gossamer Mail and DBManSQL install fine? If so then what's the difference between the G-Forum installer and the others ??

TBH i haven't even used those before, it's just dbman and links, non SQL, i've used so far. Mind u i have installed phpnuke which is quite heavy on mySQL db's, i think. That is fine. Smile
Quote Reply
The latest from tech support............

Quote:
Hi Phil,

Thank you for your emails.

It is possible that it may be the server running out of memory, but unfortunately it is not possible for us to see if this is the cause. It is not possible to increase the memory allocation on our shared hosting plans - if you did need more memory you would need to upgrade to a dedicated server (yeh right.....Laugh)

I have tested the Perl interpreter on your account which is working normally. We are currently running version Perl v5.00502.

If you wished to debug the code you would need to add error handling code to the perl scripts at differpoints to work out where the error was occurring.

So that looks like the end of the road for me....Unsure Look forward to your next 'Lite' installer.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Reply
Just ask Alex, or anyone for that matter, for a copy of their folder. All the installer does is unpack the files and sets permissions and some file locations. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a bother to edit a few files re file locations.

- wil
> >