Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
PM's
Should moderators be able to override member settings?

eg....if someone has pm's off, shouldn't moderators be able to still send them pm's?
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] PM's In reply to
May be...but I think that should be up to individual users to decide...if they turn off PM, then they should not be contacted by anyone, even moderators (except should be the ADMINISTATORS), via the PM feature. Smile
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

AnthroRules: Sep 14, 2001, 8:46 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] PM's In reply to
Moderators/Admin are rarely likely to override the feature but it may be necessary on occassions and it could be irritating if they are blocked from doing so.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 14, 2001, 8:50 PM
Quote Reply
I understand, but forum users have a right to their privacy...of course, if a user posts their URL to their web site, there are other methods of contacting the user than PM.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] PM's In reply to
Quote:
of course, if a user posts their URL to their web site, there are other methods of contacting the user than PM.

Yes but that is an inconvenience and defeats the whole purpose of the pm system.

Moderators/Admin should have the authority to override pm's IMO

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 14, 2001, 8:59 PM
Quote Reply
There are certain reasons why a forum user may not want to be contacted via PM in a forum...they may prefer to keep track of comments via their own web sites, like me...and that is WHY I, personally, do not like to be contacted via PM in forums, like GT...

May be "inconvenient" for forum moderators/administrators, but usability is not unilateral...there are many other factors that attribute to why or why not users want to use certain features in web applications...think out of the box...
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
PM's In reply to
oh bother -- flat view vs thread -- I clicked on the last post and knocked off part of the title just in case.

I go with the privacy viewpoint ... I have pm turned on in case a user wanted to send me their personal information in the situation that I'm helping them solve a problem (err ... I not much help though Shocked )

But if somebody sent me a message that I found offensive or such ... I'd probably ignore it .

In a sense not using PM does defeat it's purpose but it also can head off other certain unpleasantries.

As I see it ... having folks help for free (either for personal benefit or hoping to gather customers) but at the same time helping GT further it's scripts and sales is a very delicate balance.

Frustration can build very easily on the part of newbies or folks who can't figure out a problem and for teachers trying to teach something that the student finds difficult or just can't comprehend.

As another thread stated having forums just for moderators/admins might be a nice area but ... problems will probably arise but at least those problems won't affect GT's business.

Hoping for solution that all can find beneficial.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] PM's In reply to
Quote:
In a sense not using PM does defeat it's purpose but it also can head off other certain unpleasantries.

Thats the whole point of what Im saying - you can still leave pm's OFF but only moderators/admin can override it if NECESSARY.
Quote Reply
.... difficult on the stand point of privacy. I can see what you're talking about and was about to suggest forcing email but ... using email from hotmail/etc ... is easy enough (I have several, I can't remember the passwords to some anymore) and don't even to bother to check.

Which leads me to ask, what is that "necessary?"

An unruly poster ... ???

What can you do?

The only answer is inform their IP ... banning has it's pro's/con's ... deleting threads ??? somebody would be busy ???

Even if you did over ride that function, the person will probably just ignore it OR take it straight to the forums.

About 2 weeks ago, I was following a debated issue on copyright and GPL/GNU ... people (the person ??) were still able to post ...

I guess, diplomacy / courtesy / turn the other check / ignore that person / ... I'm sure there are many other solutions too.

Paul, You do bring up valid points but I really believe that invasion of privacy is really a sticky issue.

Ahhhh ... unless you mean to have this on your own personal site, then I guess YES we should have this ability, then the owner of G-Forums could do what ever they want.

Hmmm ... which are you referring to? Sorry If I misunderstood! Frown

Quote Reply
Every user registeres an email address?... Maybe get some sort of e-mail address verification on signup (or is that already implamented?)?

- wil

Last edited by:

wil: Sep 17, 2001, 1:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [wil] PM's In reply to
what's the point ??? Like I wrote above ... free email is so prevalent on the net that even if you could or did check email addresses or even install locations people can get around this ... unless the registration number is returned to the main server at GT there is no real way of getting in touch with somebody who doesn't want to be gotten in touch with!

Me and my friend run a site together ... he owns the script technically but I'm the one who does all the work. Hehe I cold have all my mail sent to him !!!

Logged IP is about the easiest way to get some one, even then a proficent net user might know how to spoof their IP going through annoymous servers and what not. Log in at an internet cafe, etc ... Personally haven't bother digging through those types of sites that offer such information.

Best way is probably like I suggested ... offer a friendly atmosphere where tension levels remain low therefore preventing lot's of headaches later ... this is one reason why I like the suggestion of having a forum for only moderators and/or special invites.

Quote Reply
But how many of us use static IPs? Anyway, I don't want be drawn into this debate. If people really wanted to remain anoymous then they will. There's nothing we can do to prevent that.

As for allowing people to override permissions, no, I don't agree with that. Maybe the forum Administrator. Maybe.

A better way would be to incorporate a Forum Announcment feature, as you see in the UBB (?) where a forum administrator or moderator may post a board-wide or a forum-wide announcement at the top of the page.

Would be handy for a board like this who is trying to alert it's users to a new release or an update of software. Jason, have you any views on this?

- wil

Last edited by:

wil: Sep 17, 2001, 3:48 AM
Quote Reply
There is an announcement forum here ... but yeah, I was gonna mention the sticky post idea too ... would be nice to have a permenant thread always at the top for what ever.

Cool

Quote Reply
Admin/Moderators can already make sticky posts (I just never had the guts to do it)...i'm not quite sure when it would be necessary as Alex makes all the announcements.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 17, 2001, 7:29 PM
Quote Reply
Paul

Thought so. Great.

- wil
Quote Reply
FWIW... If you have PM's turned off, then what's the point of having them over-ridden(?) if you're not in the habit of, or even going to bother, checking them.

I don't mind PM's, just don't be surpised if it takes me a couple of days to notice I even have any. The old system used to send me an e-mail notifying me. (I'll have to double check my settings on this one.)

I don't post my e-mail address anymore because, like Eliot, you can go to my website, and contact me via feedback form. I made the mistake of using my email address on a javascript site (I was proud of the script I hacked) and was immediately bombarded with spam of every kind - I still am.