Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Forum Speed

Quote Reply
Forum Speed
I really like the speed of this new forum software. It seems much faster than the old GT forum and faster than other forums I visit.

My question is, why is this so? Is it because it's using MySQL?

Also, how much additional server load will a forum add to a website?

The LinksSQL site I run must remain extremely fast, as well as other MySQL based searches on the same server. I'm very wary about adding new features if it will mean slowing down the server. I'm running Linux with only 128 MB of RAM and it's plenty speedy now.

Any input is greatly appreciated,

Bryan
Quote Reply
Re: [BryanL] Forum Speed In reply to
I'm not sure. I actually found the forum slower than previously. When I access it at collage it takes about 15 seconds to load a page (with an Fibre Optic connection, and on average 150 pupils using it), and at home it is also quite slow (especially at prime US times when it seems to be more busy).

I dont know if it would make any difference, but shouldn't having seperate scripts, like pm.cgi, post.cgi etc make it go faster? I'm no expert on the laws defined by Perl, or anything like that, but logically you would think it would make it faste Crazy The layout is waaaaaay better though Smile

Just saying what I think.

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [youradds] Forum Speed In reply to
Hi,

Strange about the speed. Is the rest of the site slow, or just the forum? Perhaps it's a connection issue with our server, or the mod_gzip compression we added.

As to separate scripts, it makes no difference, it's how the code is designed. When you call gforum.cgi all it does is load the appropriate code and run it. Under mod_perl it's actually worse to have separate scripts, as then the memory can't be shared as well.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [BryanL] Forum Speed In reply to
Hi,

If you haven't been here in a while, it may seem faster because we added mod_gzip to our server, so all html pages are compressed. This means a 60k forum page, only takes 5k worth of bandwidth to download, and if you are on dialup, it shows up much faster.

They are both using MySQL, so that's not the case. We haven't done benchmarks yet to see the performance difference.

As to load, it depends on the size of your forum. I would recommend using mod_perl or SpeedyCGI if you have a heavy forum, and up to 256 megs of memory.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Forum Speed In reply to
Oh, ok. It doesnt seem to be slow on the rest of the site, just the forum Frown

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Forum Speed In reply to
I'm having major speed problems at the moment.

Almost all forum pages are taking over 30 seconds to load with a cable modem.

Your non-forum pages are normal - it only seems to be the forum....I'm almost at the point of having to give up for the night as it has taken about 3-4 minutes to be able to get to this thread and post.

Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] Forum Speed In reply to
Ew......Im getting an abundance of:

502's
GT:Sessions::SQL error
Connection Timed Out
Can't connect to mysql through /tmp/sock bla bla
Quote Reply
me too 502 ... Frown

G-forum is sick ....

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Forum Speed In reply to
Seems to be the result of the hardware failure...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Probably to do with the fact that the site has had to be moved to a backup server.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rum.cgi?post=159996;

When things seem a little odd around here, Alex usually posts an Announcement in the appropriate forum.

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [wil] Forum Speed In reply to
Yeah I'd actually posted those messages before the announcement if you check the times.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Forum Speed In reply to
Now I really see the need for your real name to appear in the user's profile. This handle-swpping business is really confusing me.

Wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Forum Speed In reply to
Is my AOL/MSN username not a giveaway :)

I see your point though :)
Quote Reply
the predicted chaos has come Pirate

hopefully, no devils exists Angelic

Quote Reply
The backup server has some real problems with speed - MySQL is getting backed up with queries because it can't process them fast enough to keep up with the traffic.

We are investigating the problem further, and I have come up with an optimization that I should put up on the site soon - under heavy load we think this will make a noticeable difference.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Forum Speed In reply to
Thanks Jason - I'll look forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Now I really see the need for your real name to appear in the user's profile. This handle-swpping business is really confusing me.
Along the same note, is there anything to prevent new users from registering someone's old handle? Old handles should go into a reserved names table to avoid further confusion, and maybe mapped to the new one. Just a thought.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Forum Speed In reply to
Good Idea Drew,

While I was waiting for this page to load. I was thinking that if someone wanted to play a prank on some of you who have changed their nicks. Now is the time, go in register a new user and whamo -- I'm Now, Junko - PaulWilson - Paul. - youradds ... errr who's else changed dam, I gotta look at your sig's just to figure who is who now Unimpressed

Best name change so far:
youradds --> AndyNewby

Cool name change goes to:
RedRum aka PaulWilson ... I still like Paul. better though Wink

Quote Reply
Right, so let that be a lesson to all of you who would change your usernames Wink

I logged on this morning and was viewing a thread and kept wondering to myself who is this RedRum character, and why is he taking over from PaulWilson bickering with AnthroRules? Then I saw the signature and I breathed a sigh of relief.

I never should have told you guys about username changing...

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
I was teasing Paul about his name change last night... Anyone remember that Steven King movie...? "redrum" is "murder" spelled backwards :-)

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Forum Speed In reply to
wahahaha .... I read the book ... errr what was it ???

R .. e d ...r .... u ... M <- sorry can't give justice to how it was written or how the boy was mumbling this ...

Sly

Quote Reply
Quote:
who is this RedRum character, and why is he taking over from PaulWilson bickering with AnthroRules?

You know, I thought to myself last night, I bet someone mentions that thread with Eliot......it really irritates me when people say I was bickering with him...I tried and succeeded in actually avoiding the argument by saying I wasn't interested.......how is that bickering?...

Forgive me if I sound rude but the last week has been a living hell, I just found out my grandmother has almost certainly got cancer and could die within a couple of weeks. I have tears in my eyes as I write this post so I think I did pretty damn well to avoid arguing because I was almost tipped over the edge with that thread yesterday.

I'm not looking for the sympathy vote, I just don't want to be tarred with a brush that doesn't suit me. Maybe I deserve it, but I really hate being known as the one who always argues and bickers. In real life I am one of the most quiet people around, I just never learn about not replying to certain people.

After recent events I am certainly beginning to realise how important life is and the people around you and it has taught me that a forum post that irritates me is about as important as......nothing....hence my outlook and attitude in the forum will hopefully be changing for the better for the long term.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Sep 20, 2001, 2:25 AM