Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Login Doesn't Work: Netscape 4.73

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Login Doesn't Work: Netscape 4.73 In reply to
Uh...Paul,

I have been on many web sites like http://www.excite.com and others where the www.domain.com holds in NETSCAPE 4.73, so thus, PAUL, it is a BUG within Gossamer Forums software!

Got it?!?!?!? Mad

I would MUCH rather hear from a Gossamer Threads staff member on this issue, okay??? Tongue
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Nov 21, 2001, 5:35 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Login Doesn't Work: Netscape 4.73 In reply to
Hi Eliot,

The problem is this:

If you set a cookie with domain => .gossamer-threads.com, Netscape 4.x does not accept the cookie and you can't login.

If you don't use the domain => .gossamer-threads.com, then your cookie is not good for gossamer-threads.com and www.gossamer-threads.com.

We are looking at not sending the domain tag if the user is not netscape 4. It will means ns4 users won't be able to move between www and no www seamlessly, but at least can login.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Login Doesn't Work: Netscape 4.73 In reply to
Thanks for the reply, Alex...I really appreciate it!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
Try as I might, I just could not log in when accessing my forum with the www. in front of the domain name. Finally, after reading Alex's instructions above I went to the site and deleted the www from the front of the URL.

Voila, I logged in with no problem. This seems like a strange bug, and would be very confusing to the average visitor to the site. I had this happen on IE 5.0 running on a Mac. The problem occurred after I logged out, and then tried to log back in. I have the 'Remember Me' box checked by default.

Is this a bug? Or, is there some way to prevent the problem in the Admin Setup?

Quote Reply
Re: [BryanL] Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
Try setting the cookie_domain field. We have ours set to ".gossamer-threads.com" so that it will work for gossamer-threads.com or www.gossamer-threads.com.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
I beg to differ, Jason.

ONLY www.gossamer-threads.com works with Netscape 4.73.

Yes, I deleted all my cookies before testing it again. Thus, your solution does not work in reference to the cookie_domain.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Eliot this is a Netscape BUG. It works fine with IE and Netscape6+ therefore there is nothing Jason can do. You have to upgrade if you want it solved.
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
Stop responding to this issue, Paul.

IT is not a Netscape bug, since I've seen many other web sites using www and not www that allows you to login to their web sites (including the now gone...www.excite.com, among others)...there is a solution...

And stop recommending that I upgrade...I have no motivation to upgrade to a faulty version of NS 6.X. I am comfortable using 4.73 as are 80% of the Netscape users of the web sites I maintain.

Goodbye! MadTongue
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
>>Stop responding to this issue, Paul.
<<

Look, don't tell me what I can and can't do in a public forum.

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 5, 2001, 8:24 AM
Post deleted by Heckler In reply to
Quote Reply
I had a feeling that would get deleted. Thank goodness for screen capture software Tongue

Incase anyone wonders why Eliot deleted his post, here is what he said to me.

I'm going to show a level of maturity and say no more.

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 5, 2001, 11:33 AM
Quote Reply
Netchit... Mad
Netchit sucked 3 years ago when I first got in this web building game... Sucks now and WILL suck some more later...

Besides that, my guess is that it won't be around in another 2 years...

I run Netchit 4.7 just to see if my site's will show up on it... Whut a POS...

I got living proof... Anybody running 4.7 go [url=http://www.websforsale.ca/]click here[/url] and tell me whut u see... Bet anybody 100 bucks that u see nuffin... Try it in ANY version of IE or any version of Netchit higer than 4.7....

IE RULES!!!!!!!.... Netchit Sucks!!!!!!!!!... and frankly I give up trying to accommodate netchit...

ed

Less Talk More Action: www.9o9o.com
Quote Reply
Quote:

I'm going to show a level of maturity and say no more.

Paul,

Now that is the funniest thing I've heard this week. If you were really "mature", you would'nt have uploaded the screenshot, but you are a hipocrite anyway, so you're just living up to it, I guess!

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Dec 5, 2001, 11:59 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [edpak] Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
That is because your HTML coding is flawed.

The nice thing about Netscape is that it is less tolerant of sloppy HTML codes...makes you a stronger designer/coder.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Dec 5, 2001, 12:01 PM
Quote Reply
If you can find the flaw, please point it out because I have another site that has a small "Homepage" java script on it that will show up on IE but not in Ntechit... CSS has a hard time working properly in any version of netchit also...
Granted... Netchit has forced me to learn to write the cleanest HTML possible to accommodate it, but I still hate it and will hate it and WILL not try to accomodate anymore...

I know for a fact that some HUGE websites and development companies are giving up on it also...
For instance, the largest Land Registry in Canada (Teela) has told netchit to hit the road also... You can't access the site unless you have a password but I can guarantee that you can't view it in Netchit...

ed

Last edited by:

edpak: Dec 5, 2001, 12:18 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [edpak] Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
1) You have way too many nested tables, which a few you have neglected to close with the proper closing tags.

2) CSS1 does operate just fine in Netscape 4.6 and 4.73. Learn some more about CSS coding.

Still like I have stated before, depends on your traffic to your site...if you have little (like less 2% of your users) or less using Netscape, than making a decision to cut out Netscape from your testing procedures may be legitimate, but on the other hand, if you still have a decent number of users using Netscape, then you are basically telling that percentage of your web visitors,"Too bad, go elsewhere for great deals that you could see in this site, if you had IE."
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: Table tags...Hummmm... I'll check those tags for the 100th time as I would like it to work on bot browsers but it is a real PIA...

>>>Too bad, go elsewhere for great deals that you could see in this site, if you had IE."<<<<

LOLOLOL.... I like it.... Just might use it...Wink

ed

Quote Reply
I don't understand why people STILL use Netscape 4.x.
1) It's old outdated software.
2) Its CSS engine (or whatever you call it) is buggy, so some CSS does not work at all/properly.
3) It's TOO picky with HTML. Face it, not everyone is picky about their HTML, a ton of pages won't display properly, or at all.
4) Broken with some HTML (eg. <NOBR> inside of a table).

That's all I can think of right now Tongue

The only reasons I can think of that someone would use Netscape 4.x.
1) You don't know anything about computers and you've been taught to surf the net by clicking the Netscape icon.
2) You're terribly stubborn, won't switch to a better browser and keep insisting that Netscape 4.x is a good browser.
3) You're using *nix. But then there's still Mozilla.

I don't know, but if I was using Windows I'd be using IE. Yes, there's a few quirks with it, but you gotta admit that it deals with HTML better than Netscape 4.x. And even if you're got some grudge against IE, you can always use Mozilla. It's based off of Netscape 4.x code, but a lot has been done. Works in multiple platforms, etc, etc.

I understand the point you're trying to make though. People who create the HTML should make it so the pages are accessible by all browsers, but sometimes it's just such a pain to do so.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
brewt,

Those are pretty narrow assessments you've provided. The fact of the matter is that 80% of the Netscape users across the web sites I maintain still use 4.X versions and until Netscape can come up with a better version (6.X sucks) and more of my web visitors start using 6.X, I will still test all apps in NS 4.X.

The primary reasons why I use NS 4.X are the following:

1) Majority of the NS users are using 4.X versions.

2) NS 6.X still doesn't support CSS2 and also has problem supporting testing codes (like W3C).

And I guess your boss, Alex, disagrees with your viewpoints since as he has stated before,"While there is a majority of IE users, I am not about to discount 10% or whatever of my possible customer base [referring to NS users]."
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
brewt

Couldn't have said it better meself... Wink

Edit: Don't mind my spellink guy's... Been looking at fixing code fer netchit fer 2 long... LOLOL

ed

Last edited by:

edpak: Dec 5, 2001, 1:31 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Login Doesn't Work: Explorer for Mac In reply to
NS 4.x line wasn't that bad.
------------------------------------------------

I see it like this, sometimes, html standards led themselves to be taken advantage by crappy browser and wysiwyg design software. Some html allows open ended coding -- I prefer to close all html codes even the <./p> (ending paragraph mark) ... M$ just assumes that M$ software will produce code that nobody else can use and in order to justify their own standards that had to make allowances.

I was an avid fan of dreamweaver and golive cyberstudio until I realized that the code they produce can be really wacked at times I had to resort to editing the files a again in a text editor.

If you really want to check your code run it on a mac. (don't mention wintel boxes -- I got one ... built it myself -- I refuse to open outlook on it ... can't trust it.) And I agree 4.x or even use explorer 4.72 that is installed on w98 ... it pukes just as hard on some pages as MS will.

------------------------------------------------

Eliot how would you suggest to fix the login bug?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I'm not saying that I disagree with your point. I'm am extremely picky with my HTML and always strive to make all my HTML look the same in IE5.5, Netscape 4.7x, and Mozilla (which can be a real challenge). It's just I don't get why people still use Netscape 4.x when there are better browsers (care to enlighten me?).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Back to the original problem...
I've done a little testing, and:

In Reply To:
ONLY www.gossamer-threads.com works with Netscape 4.73.
Yes, it will only work with www.gossamer-threads.com (or for that matter, anything.gossamer-threads.com, including ftp.gossamer-threads.com). It however does NOT work with just http://gossamer-threads.com. It doesn't seem to even attempt to set a cookie when you log in using http://gossamer-threads.com. This isn't the case for Mozilla, (and probably IE).

I looked at a variety of other sites, and it seems they don't even bother with this problem. They just prevent it by just forwarding you to the subdomain you're supposed to use. For example, going to google.com automatically takes you to www.google.com, thus their cookies just have to work for www.google.com. Visiting www.slashdot.org takes you do slashdot.org. ebay.com takes you do www.ebay.com. That's why you haven't noticed any problems with other sites.

I'm not 100% certain that it's actually a Netscape 4.x bug, but it certainly is a possibility. If I have time later, I'll write some code to test.

I believe Netscape is not counting http://gossamer-threads.com as a match for .gossamer-threads.com for the cookie. That's why ftp.gossamer-threads.com and www.gossamer-threads.com works with the forum and not gossamer-threads.com. It might be a problem with Gossamer Forum not setting a cookie when you attempt to login from just gossamer-threads.com though (but then again, it sets one if you're using Mozilla or IE).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Something interesting I read off of PHP's page:
Quote:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 with Service Pack 1 applied does not correctly deal with cookies that have their path parameter set.

Netscape Communicator 4.05 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x appear to handle cookies incorrectly when the path and time are not set.

Adrian
Quote Reply
The world would be a better place without Netscape.
> > > >