Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Arrange the posts by a field value

Arrange the posts by a field value
Hello!

If I want to search the posts and lets say would like to view the search results by "ASC Date" then it does'nt work.

If I give in the search term as for e.g. Alex then it gives all the posts in a random order in the search results. However, if I give in the posted by Alex then it works correct.

Needs modification.........

Re: [rajani] Arrange the posts by a field value In reply to
>>it gives all the posts in a random order in the search results.<<

No it doesn't, it sorts by the same order everytime, which is by relevance I assume.

>>
if I give in the posted by Alex then it works correct.
<<

Searching by username shows all posts made by Alex, searching for "Alex" lists any post mentioning that word.

The results seem fine to me.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 13, 2002, 2:31 AM

Re: [RedRum] Arrange the posts by a field value In reply to
Paul!

I told you several times not to answer my posts.

....and I dream of world peace but we don't always get what we want.

In Reply To:
it gives all the posts in a random order in the search results.
No it doesn't, it sorts by the same order everytime, which is by relevance.

In Reply To:
Searching by username shows all posts made by Alex, searching for "Alex" lists any post mentioning that word.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Re: [jagerman] Arrange the posts by a field value In reply to
Deja vu Crazy

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile

Re: [jagerman] Arrange the posts by a field value In reply to
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
it gives all the posts in a random order in the search results.
No it doesn't, it sorts by the same order everytime, which is by relevance.

In Reply To:

Thanks, you clearly showed your intention behind the answer. We, in Germany are not stupid to understand the language underlying messages.

Thanks for that.

Hi Rajani,

The search returns the "most relevant" results first, and does not return by date if it can use the search index. It's not a random order.

See: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=164629 for more info.

Also, you are reading way to much into other peoples posts. Neither Paul or Jason are attacking you, but they could not understand the problem you are seeing. A better response would be to post URL's that you think are not sorted properly and then we can help you out.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Re: [Alex] Arrange the posts by a field value In reply to
Funny, got posted twice....

Last edited by:

rajani: Mar 14, 2002, 7:46 AM

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Hi Rajani,

The search returns the "most relevant" results first, and does not return by date if it can use the search index. It's not a random order.

Alex

When I have only one search term the relevance is the same.

Hence the date is therefore more important or atleast should be offered as an option like "sort it by ASC or etc".

In Reply To:
Also, you are reading way to much into other peoples posts.

HA! I hardly visit your forums. I did not need to do so as I am not using your products so extensively that I need to modify and inform myself from here. So there are also not many searches that I do or I need to do! Nor am I a student or have so much of free time to dedicate myself to perl craze like many people around here .

However, people do not need to report bugs or suggestions if the reactions are sarcastic or cold. There are no obligations bring suggestions to your forums. What do I get by suggesting that the searches could be arranged by date? I saw it once and thought of suggesting, a bad idea was it.

Last edited by:

rajani: Mar 14, 2002, 7:45 AM

>>
<<

The relevance is the same as what?

Relevancy is based on the occurance of your term in the column being searched (well in basic terms) therefore posts with a higher occurance of your term will be listed first.

If you want to sort by date then it will mess up the results as they will no longer be in relevany order.

Re: [Paul] Arrange the posts by a field value In reply to
In Reply To:
>>
<<

The relevance is the same as what?

Relevancy is based on the occurance of your term in the column being searched (well in basic terms) therefore posts with a higher occurance of your term will be listed first.

If you want to sort by date then it will mess up the results as they will no longer be in relevany order.

Paul!

I told you several times not to answer my posts.

By all means tell me to go away if I say something nasty, but when Im trying to help then I don't think it is necessary.

As Alex mentioned no-one is trying to attack you, we are trying to help....you are turning this into something it isn't.

Re: [Paul] Arrange the posts by a field value In reply to
In Reply To:
By all means tell me to go away if I say something nasty, but when Im trying to help then I don't think it is necessary.

As Alex mentioned no-one is trying to attack you, we are trying to help....you are turning this into something it isn't.

I am twice the age of yours. I have seen and have had the experience of your posts, attitudes, behaviour and answers.

Hence I once again would like to make it clear, politely, to please stop answering my threads.

Rajani,

Paul, like many others on this forum, helps on the forum of his own accord. He is quite familiar with the workings of Gossamer Threads' products, and is certainly qualified to answer many questions regarding Gossamer Forum and other products of ours. We encourage members of the Gossamer community to participate on these forums and help each other out. To this, Paul is no exception. Paul's initial answer to this post was not meant in any degrading way. In spite of your previous rude behaviour towards him, he still offers assistance to those who request it. His answer was correct, and I think it is unfair of you to dismiss his answer simply because it is from him.

I am locking this thread before it escalates any further.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com