Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

User uploadable icons (avatars)

Quote Reply
User uploadable icons (avatars)
We've added a new uploadable user icon feature into the forum, which is currently enabled on our forum here. The feature is still in testing, however we expect to release it along with a few small bug fixes as a 1.1.6 release next week. Note that user icons are only visible beside a persons' post when using the default template set - default_top does not have them.

For those testing the feature, the image should be no larger than 100x120 pixels, or else it will be scaled down by the browser (which generally looks pretty bad). The image must be one of: GIF, JPEG, BMP, or PNG. Also, you are prohibited from uploading an image larger than 64KB.

All of these options, as well as the master option of whether or not to allow users to upload their own icons, are new admin settings.

Custom avatars are uploaded through the Basic section of your profile.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Jun 1, 2002, 2:20 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] User uploadable icons (avatars) In reply to
Cool :)
Quote Reply
Can we have an option to turn these off in our basic profile? With all these avatars around, it seems to take a lot longer to download pages on this forum now.

An option if we want others' avatars displayed or not would be great.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] User uploadable icons (avatars) In reply to
With all these avatars?

Only about 3 people have them so far....me, Andy and Jason.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 1, 2002, 5:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] User uploadable icons (avatars) In reply to
Yeah. But it just adds unneccessary load on my old 28k modem :-\ Until I get my ADSL line sorted out I would preferrably choose switch these off. After my ADSL has kicked in, feel free to use as many avatars as you wish :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
use defualt top ... I don't see them and the load isn't that bad.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] User uploadable icons (avatars) In reply to
It doesn't affect the load time. The thread loads normally and then the images load after....for me at least.....so the thread loads at normal speed and then the images are loaded after and start popping up whilst Im reading.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 1, 2002, 8:06 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] User uploadable icons (avatars) In reply to
Attaching a t=default_top to the end of the URL doesn't seem to do it for me. Hm, it's just that they take extra to load and they make the height of each message much bigger (if the message is only a few lines).

It would just be nice to switch these off in our profiles, that's all, as it makes sense when I'm on a slow connection. When I'm in work, I don't mind. But as I'm not there 'till Wednesday (wohoo!) then I guess I'll just have to 'suffer' ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Yes, I agree - there definitely should be an option to turn them off for posts (you'll still see it on the user view page).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
I'd suggest an "upload" button to bring it inline with the post attachment behavior.

Also ability to block *.bmp avatar images.

Otherwise, YEAH! My users will really dig having avatar upload.
Quote Reply
Re: [Army Air Forces] User uploadable icons (avatars) In reply to
In Reply To:
I'd suggest an "upload" button to bring it inline with the post attachment behavior.

I didn't use an upload button because you can only upload the one file - for posts, often you attach more than one file.

In Reply To:
Also ability to block *.bmp avatar images.

The setup requires you to specify which images are allowed - by default it is .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, and .bmp, but you can very easily remove any that you don't want to allow.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Understand. Maybe work on its presentation, or information to the user. With these things I always try to think like the lowest common denominator Wink

I guess that's something the admin can do for their particular audience.

Nice to see it, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Please think over my suggestion of user icon, Because when the forum have 2000 icons, it seems so long a list to display the icons list

See blow :
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=197567
Quote Reply
How about linking the avatar image to view user profile?
Quote Reply
Hi Wil et al.,

There is now an option in your profile to turn off displaying user icons.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Thanks, Jason.

- wil