Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Scalability - High number of replies

Quote Reply
Scalability - High number of replies
Heya all,

I've got a thread with more than 1200 replies to it. Has anyone ever had a problem with scalability or is there any reason you can think of I should be concerned about this? (Probably for the GT people) Or can I safely leave it to carry on for the next 1200 and more...

Don't want to compromise data.

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Last edited by:

sangiro: Oct 29, 2002, 4:34 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Scalability - High number of replies In reply to
Wow..thats a lot of replys. Have you considered slicing it up, into small threads? To have 1200 replys in one thread seems a heck of lot. I would imagine its quite difficult for users to find the right post too Crazy

The only optioin I can think of, is to split the thread into seperate ones (maybe 4 threads, of 300 each).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Scalability - High number of replies In reply to
I'll slice it up if I have to for some technical reason... but these are skydivers... they like to talk crap and in general are pretty good at making sense out of chaos! Wink

If there's no reason to do so for performance reasons I'll allow them to post to the thread until it reaches the point of diminishing returns and they start a new one on their own. Smile

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Scalability - High number of replies In reply to
Nah, anything involving posts is highly indexed. If you were getting up in the hundreds of thousands of posts per threads I might start to worry - but as far as database records go, 1200 isn't very many.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Scalability - High number of replies In reply to
Good deal! Thanks Jason. I suspected it would be OK. They're "only" up to 1500 now... so lots more space there! Wink

Safe swoops
Sangiro