Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Review thread when posting reply

Quote Reply
Review thread when posting reply
Hi

Would it be possible to add some sort of button, text box, link - anything - that would allow you to review the entire thread you're replying to instead of just the individual post?

Maybe an expandable div layer, so you can choose not to see or it or see it. Maybe an option in your profile, I dunno. It would just be extremly helpful.

Is this on the to-do list?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Review thread when posting reply In reply to
Not currently.. How about a box with the thread summary (like you see in threaded view), and clicking on any of the threads will pop up the details of that thread?

On long threads (50+ replies), I don't think you'd want it all on one page.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Review thread when posting reply In reply to
Yeah, sounds good. Not sure about the popup idea. Maybe reload the current page with that post expanded. Then again, maybe it could be another profile option to popup or to reload page. I personally don't like popups.

I was thinking more of each post title, like threaded view with a [ + ] or [ - ] by them, so you can expand, collapse easily.

- wil
Quote Reply
I'd really like to see this option since many sites use vB and this is a standard part to the messaging side of things. Also for folks like me who like to reply to several different people/ideas at one time it's a lot easier than try to remember everything.

yeah, 50+ would be a bit too much but why not make it a user set option.

and/or

I've seen this before (phpBB??) but have the previous posts show up in a scrollable text field.

just a few ideas and comments Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Review thread when posting reply In reply to
In Reply To:
I've seen this before (phpBB??) but have the previous posts show up in a scrollable text field.
IIRC, they use an iframe, which isn't compatible with older browsers Unsure.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Review thread when posting reply In reply to
Hi Alex

A 'quick fix' to this which could be implemented without any extra work is to make the title in the bread crumb trail 'clickable' so you can open the original thread in a new window if you choose.

This is already implemented when you edit your message - the thread title is displayed in the bread crumb trail and you can click it to view the thread. Would is not be too difficult to this when replying to threads/posts too? It just basically means getting rid of the 'Reply to post' at the end of the trail and replace it with the hyper linked thread title.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi

Any chance of adding the above feature? Shouldn't be too difficult to implement and would be much appreciated!

- wil
Quote Reply
Hmm, how about replacing the post below the post with an <iframe> containing the thread in threaded mode? Shocked

For antiquated browsers (ie. Netscape 4) we'd leave the current content between the <iframe> and </iframe>.

I've put the "breadcrumb trail" here on the site - let me know what you think.

If you want to do it yourself, change post_reply_write.html:

It currently contains:

Code:
<%include include_title_cat_forum.html%>
Reply to post
Change it to:

Code:
<%include include_title_cat_forum.html%><br>
Reply to: <a href="gforum.cgi?post=<%parent_post_id%>"><%title_font%><%parent_post_subject%><%/title_font%></a>

(Note the <br> - it gets too long without it)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Review thread when posting reply In reply to
Hmm you might want a target="newwin" in there...
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Review thread when posting reply In reply to
You can shift-click (in IE) to open in a new window. I can't remember if there's a nice shortcut like that in Mozilla/Netscape or not, but there also the possibility that you changed your mind about replying to the post and want to get back to it.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Thanks, Jason. That's very helpful.

Leave the new-window as an option for the user. We've all got the option to right-click (or click and hold, for Mac) to open up in a new window, so I agree with you that this shouldnt be forced upon the user.

Thank you.

- wil
Quote Reply
Jason

Sorry.. didn't see the following:

> Hmm, how about replacing the post below the post with an <iframe>
> containing the thread in threaded mode?

That would be a fabulous idea. How hard would it be to implament on this forum so that we can trial it?

- wil
Quote Reply
Try it out by using "t=iframe" in the URL. I don't like how it jumps to the bottom of the page, but I'm not sure how to get around that because the iframe has to jump to the post being replied to. Frown

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Interesting! I like it. Not what I had in mind, actually, but it's good. For the record, I was thinking that the actual box would be an IFRAME and not the whole bottom half of the screen, but your way makes more sense for wider posts.

Hm. I'll have a play around and get back to you...

- wil
Quote Reply
BTW: It doesn't 'jump' in Mozilla 0.9.9 :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi:

Jumping in here a bit late.

I tried Jagerman's code, and that is great, it lets you open a new window with the whole post in it... cool. I was wondering if anyone had figured out the scrolling window below the post idea, I guess doing an iframe.

That is what I would like to add...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Review thread when posting reply In reply to
Here's the changed code (I don't want to attach the template, because it's a bit old (somewhere around 1.1.4, 1.1.5), and has a few minor template bugs. The diff for the relevant section, however, follows. The lines starting with "+" are added, the ones with "-" are removed, the ones without + or - are not changed.

Code:
<input type="submit" name="do=spellcheck;spellcheck_col=post_message;redo=post_reply_write" value="Check Spelling" class="button" tabindex=15>
<input type="submit" name="do=post_reply_post" value="Post Reply" class="submit" tabindex=15>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
+</form>
<%/body_table%>
<%body_table%>
<tr>
<td colspan="2">
- <br><br>
- <%list_table%>
- <%top_row%>
- <td align="right" width="150">
- <%top_row_font%>
- <b>Replying to:</b>
- <%/top_row_font%>
- </td>
- <td>
- <%top_row_font%>
- <%parent_post_subject%> by <%parent_post_username%>
- <%/top_row_font%>
+ <%top_row_font%><b>
+ Replying to:
+ </b><%/top_row_font%>
</td>
</tr>
+<%/body_table%>
+<iframe width="100%" height="40%" src="gforum.cgi?post=<%parent_post_id%>;<%hidden_query%>#<%parent_post_id%>">
+<%body_table%>
+ <tr>
+ <td>
+ <%list_table%>
<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top">
<%body_font%><b>Post:</b><%/body_font%>
</td>
<td>
<%body_font%>
<%parent_post_message%>
<%/body_font%>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
-</form>
<%/body_table%>
+</iframe>
<br><br>
<%include include_footer.html%>

A more elegant solution (primarily, it shouldn't show the forum header at the top of the iframe) will probably be available as an option for version 2.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Jagerman:

Thank you VERY MUCH!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Review thread when posting reply In reply to