Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

MailArc misbehaving again

Quote Reply
MailArc misbehaving again
Before the last set of bug fixes (Nov 28th and the MailArc 1.1 update) MailArc wasn't properly archiving attachments. After applying the fixes it seemed to be working ok. Now I've just noticed that it is archiving attachments but not the text of messages with attachments (messages without attachments are fine). Messages with attachments show up in GForum either without text or with "N/A" in the body.

To see what I mean go here:
http://www.seaturtle.org/.../gforum.cgi?post=178

MailArc also occassionally mangles attachments and I end up with a bunch of encoded text in the body of the message in the forum archive.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Have I missed some additional fixes?

GT staff, any idea why I might be experiencing this problem?

thanks,
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] MailArc misbehaving again In reply to
The vast majority of my Arc'ed messages don't have attachments, but I am finding the 'N/A' on those that do. I tried to test the bug and found another one. When I attach a MS Word or Excel file, MailArc puts the contents of the file (gibberish in these cases since it cannot read the file) in the post, and doesn't leave it as an attachment, as I think it should behave. I thought this was brought up before and fixed...but here it is again!

Dave
Quote Reply
Hi,

Could you attach your sample emails and send it to jean@gossamer-threads.com so we can figure out what the problem is.
BTW, which email client have you used to send the sample messages?

We're using MailArc for our Mailing List Archive and it seems to work fine with attachment messages.

http://gossamer-threads.com/...al_recording_P57114/

Cheers,
Jean
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

jean: Apr 8, 2003, 2:36 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [jean] MailArc misbehaving again In reply to
Thanks Jean,

I just copied you on a message sent to a test list. The archived message is here http://www.seaturtle.org/.../gforum.cgi?post=179. This was sent using Eudora 5.2.1 for Mac OS X.

I am assuming this is the result of some bug patch I have applied or missed. It did work at one time.

cheers,
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
I have tried it with:

--OutlookXP (Plain text) and a WordXP DOC file and got no message text, but intact attachment

--OutlookXP (HTML) and the same WordXP DOC file and got the weird importing of the Word file

--Outlook2000 (HTML) with an Excell2000 XLS file and got the weird importing of the Excel file

I can't find the Outlook RichText format in OutlookXP. I'll try that tomorrow at work (I know Oulook2K has RT). I do have 'N/A' messages, but I don't know the mail client used.

It obviously appears to be a problem with HTML mail messages. I have had nothing but problems with MailArc and HTML messages (usually very distorted formatting problems). Also the nagging hyperlink problem (strips HTML for clickable URLs).

I know this was a free plugin and support is limited, but I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for the programmer time (please give me an estimate) to make this plugin work right for everyone.

Dave
Quote Reply
Try this MailArc update; I'd thought this update had already been uploaded to the plugin section, but apparently not.

Let me know if it solves the problems (it should); if no problems are reported I'll upload it to the plugin download section.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] MailArc misbehaving again In reply to
Hi Jason, I just installed the update and got the following error when sending a message to my mailing list:
Code:
Plugins::GForum::MailArc (24884): Error: Column post_unique_id cannot be left blank. at /xxx/gforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/MailArc.pm line 252.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Was the above resolved/fixed so I can try it out too?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] MailArc misbehaving again In reply to
I haven't heard anything more as yet.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Alright, try this one.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Apr 9, 2003, 12:26 PM
Quote Reply
An invisible plugin - wow, you are talented =)
Quote Reply
Nope. It did include the attachment, but it also included a bunch of encoded text in the message body. See here:

http://www.seaturtle.org/.../gforum.cgi?post=187

Let me know if you want a copy of the original message.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Yeah, a copy of the original would definitely help!

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
OK, just emailed to you exactly what I sent to the list.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
It seems there have been some GT::Mail parser updates/fixes since GForum 1.1.8 was released. Try replacing your existing admin/GT/Mail/Parse.pm file with the attached one, and give it another shot.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Woo-hoo! That seems to have done the trick. I'll do some more testing.

Thanks Jason!

cheers,
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Alright! Thanks Jason. Seems to work for me too! Cool
Quote Reply
Getting a small error. Seems insignificant, but it's generating an error message:

Warning: Use of "localtime" without parens is ambiguous at

/perl/gforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/MailArc.pm line 540.

Is this something easy I can fix?

Thanks!

Dave
Quote Reply
It's just a warning (not significant), but attached is a fixed version.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Thanks Jason. I appreciate your help with this.

Dave