Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Suggestions for versions to come...

Quote Reply
Suggestions for versions to come...
Just to share some thoughts on possible functions in versions to come of the forum. Wink

Issue
In a forum where there are multiple discussions, I have found that people can't hack subscribing to them all and mostly would like to be alerted when something interesting is posted. There can be general chit chat going on for several days that doesn't interest everybody and then one important post appears but they don't know about it.

Possible Solution
Would it be possible to enable members to alert via a private message (which would be relayed via email) a specific group or a set of users from the list of members that a message had been posted that will interest them. Maybe thinking in this case about enabling and disabling this function via the admin panel for specifc groups / users?

By Ricochet
Would it be possible to enable private messages to be sent to groups of people or selected users. To further this function maybe it would be possible to create specific lists for sending messages ie. Fred, John, Paul and Sarah in list 'Top Friends' and Bill, Jo, Meg and Florence in the 'colleagues' list. Thus one could send the same message to 'colleagues' just by selecting that list rather than selecting them one by one.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Suggestions for versions to come... In reply to
You are dead onto the biggest problem with "discussion forums" -- simply digesting the flow of material nad having a chance to respond! The real question may be the utility of notification modules versus, say, a more sophisticated use of "search" functions. But YES! the vendor that improves this typical situation will do well in the marketplace.
Quote Reply
Sorry for even posting this, just ignore it but...

Quote:
By Ricochet

I have a friend and his brother is called Rick O'shea ....I think that's hilarious Laugh
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Suggestions for versions to come... In reply to
Well at least I'll know how to make you laugh from now on Paul Wink

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Just as an add-on, something that has been nagging me, in the ongoing management of the forum :

When I want to add news about the forum in general or something that I want to be brief and quickly get across, then posting a message doesn't always have the right impact. Mainly because it often gets drowned in the other posts, and because you can't force it to the top as it would most probably confuse users on the concept of latest posts are at the top.

I would like to know whether you think a small part above the forum on the main index would be the right place for a quick message / latest news area that could be made to graphically stand apart from the messages below.
Significant Media
Quote Reply
A pin to top feature has been suggested several times, and is quite high on the todo list. I've added your initial suggestions as well.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Perhaps more interesting along this line would be to tie it to a post rating system. Users would be able to voluntarily set post ratings (for example, from 1 to 5) on posts, or threads, and other users would be able to set up notification based on a post rating. For example, I could set it up to notify me once there are at least 10 ratings with an average rating of more than 4.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Suggestions for versions to come... In reply to
Good idea , I see this in KarmaPolice plugin before, But it cannot seeing now.

I think it will be connected to user_post_title. when user's post was rating, his post will add rates to post , and his title will upgrade more quick. So people will post more good post to forum ......
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Suggestions for versions to come... In reply to
Yes on *Pin to Top*. I think it's the most frequently requested/expected feature.

Hopefully any "karma" feature would be optional (yes/no) in the admin setup and not requried by pin to top.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Suggestions for versions to come... In reply to
Yes, of course the two options will be completely seperate.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads