Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

So how long...

Quote Reply
So how long...
How long do you think this will take to complete? See attached screen cap taken 10 mins into the process.

My very kind and amiable hosting service increased the process time limit to 65 days (I kid you not) for this effort. Otherwise for most folks it would bomb out right around the first 250 posts.

Place your bets now!
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] So how long... In reply to
My calculation is 6 hrs by the way Wink
Quote Reply
Well as of this post, it's indexed 12750 of 21072 posts.

My biggest problem has been remembering to keep the browser session open. Should have waited and run this overnight or on my other machine Tongue
Quote Reply
Well after 5 hours and 15,500 posts it finally crapped out. Looks like it could no longer talk to the server. That's a significant drawback of the process running remotely through the browser I suppose....or is it just reporting back to the browser?

Any negative impact from a failed reindex?

I'm going to try and run it again tonight.

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: May 2, 2002, 2:12 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, no problem with it failing, it means that the posts that didn't yet get indexed are not yet searchable, but everything still works.

You may want to start the job running on the server (not via browser) and let it go overnight. Thankfully it's not something you need to do often. =)

If you are using MS SQL, you might want to try the MS SQL full text indexing though, we had good results with out internal testing.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] So how long... In reply to
Ideally that would be best, but since my site is hosted I don't get those privileges. I'll attempt it tonight and hope for the best, my cable connection should hold steady without me around to mess with it.

I would rather go the SQL FullText route, but again since I'm hosted I don't have admin control. Can you tell me which fields that are eligible for FullText queries in tables User Guest Category Forum Post Message SentMessage Grouping, is it every column in each table?

Apparently they need to run some wizard to configure it, if it's each column I can't bribe them to do it. Unsure

Your knowledge appreciated as always.

(I'm going to have break down and buy that SQL for idiots book).

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: May 2, 2002, 3:38 PM
Quote Reply
You shouldn't need to configure anything, the program does it all using MS SQL stored procedures. Should just be able to do a change driver, and as long as it says successful, you are good to go (it background indexes, so it may take an hour or so for the full text index to be ready).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I picked "Grouping" to try to SQL index since I think it's fairly small. Generated this error:

GT::SQL::Search::MSSQL::Indexer (2108): Problem Creating Full Text Index: Failed to execute query: ' sp_fulltext_catalog 'gforum_Grouping_ctlg', 'create' ' Reason: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]A full-text catalog named 'gforum_Grouping_ctlg' already exists in this database. (SQL-37000)(DBD: st_execute/SQLExecute err=-1) at GT::SQL::Editor::add_search_driver line 696.

Tried it in "User" and "Guest" tables and got this type of error:

GT::SQL::Search::MSSQL::Indexer (3268): Problem Creating Full Text Index: Failed to execute query: ' sp_fulltext_table 'gforum_Guest', 'start_change_tracking' ' Reason: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Full-text search must be activated on table 'gforum_Guest' before this operation can be performed. (SQL-37000)(DBD: st_execute/SQLExecute err=-1) at GT::SQL::Editor::add_search_driver line 696.

Teach me oh wise one.
Quote Reply
Sorry,

Host says that FullTex is enabled on the SQL 2000 server....and those were the errors I got.

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: May 2, 2002, 4:25 PM
Quote Reply
Hmm, one thing, make sure you have search weights set in the properties (Tools->User->Properties). Make sure at least one column has a weight > 0, otherwise strange things might happen. =)

Let me know if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

I need big cartoon pictures and some slooooow speaking here. I see no option for "search weight". I don't even know what the heck it is but will take it on faith if you can point me to it.

The only configuration items are:

Columns 38 - 46 which has the column name hyperlinked.

And the Database Information Indexing Scheme pulldown box, which have already generated the previous error when set to MSSQL.
Quote Reply
I IM'd my database guy to finally take a look at the admin tool. He's never seen it. I think he's laughing at my stupidity since he's followed your instructions and says "it's building".

He'll call me on the phone later and tell me what I didn't understand Cool
Quote Reply
I'm making some mental progress.

The only table in Tools, Table Editor that has a "Search Weight" column is the "Post" table.

Are you saying all the other tables need to have "Search Weight" columns? And that I should add this through "Add Column"?

Should they have been there already, or do they not need them?

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: May 2, 2002, 5:08 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Hmm, I just realized you can't set the search weights on system columns, may need to address that. For now, just try it out on the Post table, it has search weights set for post_subject and post_message.

(The search weight can be changed on user added columns by clicking on the column and changing it there).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Okay, that worked for the Post table. Keep me posted if anything else needs to be modified, and as always we stand ready to be experimented upon Smile

And search results are very zippy!

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: May 2, 2002, 5:48 PM
Quote Reply
Did the search results seem faster then before? Did you notice much of a difference in quality of results? We haven't got too many people using the MS SQL full text indexing yet (but I think if you are on a windows server, from our experience, it's pretty nice).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Old post I never replied to. Yes, the search results are very, very zippy.