Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

going off topic ?? post new then !!

Quote Reply
going off topic ?? post new then !!
K!

How about this. Being able to post new from withing a thread area ... across the topic is Previous/print/threaded ... how about adding post new too!

I'm tired of backing out of a thread or jumping through loops to create a new topic if I think what I want is is going off the main topic of a thread.

Or how about a split new thread posting ...

I wonder if having threaded and flatview going at the same time doesn't cause lot's of off topic posts?
Crazy

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] going off topic ?? post new then !! In reply to
But on the other hand it may encourage people to start threads when they don't need to.

I accept what you are saying though.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] going off topic ?? post new then !! In reply to
Jason did hint at this, and I elaborated by suggesting that if you change the subject of the message, then the thread gets broken and you isntantly start a new one.

Bad idea, after thinking about it, but you get the drift.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] going off topic ?? post new then !! In reply to
Hi Guys Laugh

Before moving to G-Forum I was using phpBB and that forum has this options. But even on their 2 major areas phpbb 1.4.x and phpBB 2 I've never really seen a problem with this type of option.

I can see were it could be abused if a poster feels that their comment is slightly off topic they should start a new thread but ...

hmmm ... take a look at the chit-chat area ... sometimes the ending threads are sooooo far off the topic it's not even funny.

oh well. just an idea.

Quote Reply
Quote:

hmmm ... take a look at the chit-chat area ... sometimes the ending threads are sooooo far off the topic it's not even funny.

That is the point of the Chit-Chat forum...basically a free-for-all forum where people can talk about anything under the sun..I don't see your point.

Are you saying that threads in the Chit-Chat forum should be focused??? If so, I don't agree.

If you are saying that there should be a feature to "break away" into another thread, then it may be useful for some forums like the CHIT CHAT forum...but I think it is fine the way that GT has structured their forums.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] going off topic ?? post new then !! In reply to
Just because it is a chit-chat forum doesn't mean it shouldn't have structure. Fair enough it is chit-chat meaning you can talk about whatever but each individual thread should still be focused otherwise it would be a big mess.

If you started a thread about Linux and I replied with a post asking about what you ate for dinner last night, the fact of the matter is you wouldn't be pleased.

Anyway I believe QooQ was just using it as an example.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 8:23 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:

If you started a thread about Linux and I replied with a post asking about what you ate for dinner last night, the fact of the matter is you wouldn't be pleased.

What are you talking about Paul??? You are one of the people who changes "topics" in the CHIT CHAT forum all the time. You posted something about eatting pizza for dinner yesterday and there are other examples. Tongue

I believe that the CHIT CHAT forum should not have a formal structure and that people can "chat" about whatever they want and in whatever thread they want.

Also, I would prefer that QooQ speak for himself rather than you answering for him.

Thank you.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Chewbaca: Nov 9, 2001, 8:28 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
What are you talking about Paul??? You are one of the people that changes "topics" in the CHIT CHAT forum all the time. You posted something about eatting pizza for dinner yesterday and there are other examples.

Thats precisely what Im saying...see you don't like it right? Crazy

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 8:35 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Also, I would prefer that QooQ speak for himself rather than you answering for him.

If we had to wait for everyone to reply in the proper order it would get pretty boring. Oh wait....oh nevermind...
Quote Reply
Re: going off topic ?? post new then !! In reply to
They are well organised, yes, but I would like to see one addition:

WebMaster Talk.

So there would be :

WebMaster technologies (perl, php etc.)
WebMaster Talk (microsoft are suing me for using their javascript :-\)
Off-Topic Discussion

What do you reckon?

- wil
Quote Reply
I don't mind it, Paul...But if it you bothers you, then may be you should practice what you preach...Tongue
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Paul,

I was asking QooQ specific questions, not you. Yes, you have the right to post whatever you want since these are public forums...BUT when someone raises questions with specific users, it would be best if that person has the opportunity to answer questions asked to them.

You have a tendenancy of speaking for others in the forums, and I wish that you would do less of this.

Thank you.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Is it not possible to have a discussion without it turning into bickering.

Im going to do the most sensible thing I've done all day and log off.
Quote Reply
Wil,

I think that "webmaster" in the forum title is too generalized.

I would like to see a separate forum for PHP related questions...versus sticking them in the Perl/CGI forum.

May be a list like the following would help:

Quote:
Database Design and Administration (Category)
-> DBI
-> M$ Access
-> mSQL/MySQL
-> Oracle
-> Postgres
-> SQL Server
-> Miscellanous
Web Programming (Category)
-> Active Server Pages
-> Cold Fusion
-> Java
-> Perl/CGI
-> PHP
-> Python
-> Miscellanous

The above lists are examples and not intended to be exhaustive.

Of course, there would have to be a balance between too many forums and generalizing the forums, which is a challenging design issue.

Also, the forums that are created in the GT web site should be contextualized to what GT offers to an extent. Having some general and chit/chat type forums is nice, but I don't think that GT would like to moderate a bunch of forums that are not directly related to their business.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Chewbaca: Nov 9, 2001, 9:13 AM
Quote Reply
No, which is why finding the balance could be difficult. However, I do feel the need to 'pan' out the Perl/CGI forums, to cater for various topics, and maybe push the 'Off-Topic Discussion' forum right down into a category of it's own to discourage members to post there, although the facility would still be there.

Maybe a little disclaimer would be a good idea, too. "GT doesn't monitor the Off-Topic forum, but please try and be civilized. This is intended as a place to let off steam and not discuss any GT products. For GT discussions, please see relevant forum".

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Wil,

What didn't you agree with???

Quote:
No, which is why finding the balance could be difficult.

No, what?

It would help if you qualified what you disagreed with in my post.

Thank you.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I'm not sure if I agree with the number of individual forums you proposed. There is hardly the traffic for that. In fact, the traffic going through the Perl/CGI forum has decreased recently (or is it just me)? But I do agree with the point you're trying to convey.

- wil
Quote Reply
Wil,

Thank you for the clarification.

And I guess you missed the following qualifying statement in that post:

Quote:

The above lists are examples and not intended to be exhaustive.

I was simply giving EXAMPLES...not an end-all-be-all listing.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
It's Friday afternoon. It's been a long day. Forgive me.

The only thing I need now is an ice-cold beer.

I'm glad that we both share the same prinicple goal.

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,

Quote:
That is the point of the Chit-Chat forum...basically a free-for-all forum where people can talk about anything under the sun..I don't see your point.

I don't see how my message was trying to police what is being said. I just mentioned that an original thread sometimes ends up at a totaly different area / off the original topic, which is why I started this thread to mention the idea of adding a (post new) button ... which was just referring to splitting a thread. How did you get the idea I was trying to police? Unless between the 2 "is"s I forgot to write the verb (to post) which I can understand.

Quote:
If you are saying that there should be a feature to "break away" into another thread, then it may be useful for some forums like the CHIT CHAT forum...but I think it is fine the way that GT has structured their forums.

Call it "break away" or "post new" ... I really don't care. Laugh

Like you mentioned, "it may be useful for some forums like ..." <--- this was my original intention.

Since I live on the other side of the planet from (compared to possibly 90% + of you folks) it's really difficult to reply in a reasonable amount of time. I wish I could've because then possiblely lots of what transpired between my last post and this one probably wouldn't have occured.

Quote Reply
The current version has a "Detach" feature which allows you to basically cut off a thread at the current point, making that post and all replies to that post a new thread.

Wow, this is a good example of a thread going off topic, but it's too late for me to go about testing out new features Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] going off topic ?? post new then !! In reply to
Is that an Admin feature? Or are users able to detach their posts?

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is that an Admin feature? Or are users able to detach their posts?

A forum moderator can detach it. If they are also a moderator of other forums, they can move the new thread to one of the other forums that they moderate.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com