Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl?

(Page 1 of 4)
> >
Quote Reply
Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl?
I'm not sure if the UBB still churns out HTML pages, but I remember a time where all threads were static HTML pages. This, they claimed (quite ritely!!) decreased the demand on the server, and produced faster pages, that would also be able to be indexed by search engines (3 very big plus points!).

I was just wondering why GT has decided against this option, and have decided to generate pages, on the fly?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl? In reply to
Ok, for a site this size, imagine building the pages and how long it would take and how much space it would use up - also you lose some dynamic features and the general interactive feel of the forum. (Which is what it's all about).

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 15, 2001, 3:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl? In reply to
There's nothing dynamic about the message thread page, execpt for the edit button is disabled after an x amount of time (which is a feature I'm not keen of anyway).

The trade off on server resources would be beneficial, surely? What about search engine indexing?

Why did the UBB switch back?

- wil
Quote Reply
Well I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I'd much prefer a dynamic forum with a little extra server resource usage.

You never know, GT may develop something....

Think about it........all "popular" forums are dynamic....the most unpopular.....UBB (well most unpopular due to things I've heard)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 15, 2001, 4:06 AM
Quote Reply
UBB most unpopular? Huh? Where do you get your information from? Look at their clientel. They have lost a few customers lately due to the fact that solid free alternatives are coming out. But look at how many of the big boys are still using them. BTW: Please someone explain to me why they use UBB? THe worst piece of forum software ever written, IMO.

And back to the topic; the UBB have now reverted back to dynamic pages. Not sure if this is because they have moved over to PHP driven pages, or what?

- wil
Quote Reply
I said most unpopular from what I've heard from others, not by their customer levels but what people say about the software.....and you even said it yourself!

>>BTW: Please someone explain to me why they use UBB? THe worst piece of forum software ever written, IMO.<<

Quote Reply
BTW....your wish is my command....I added a quick code snippet I just wrote into my signature.
Quote Reply
Yep. I personally hate it. But that doesn't mean to say it's not popular. In fact, I'm sure that it's the most popular board on the net.

I get an error on your sig ?

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
But that doesn't mean to say it's not popular.

Again, I mean unpopular in terms of people's comments about it, not customers!

Quote:
I get an error on your sig ?

I don't ;)

Maybe you aren't executing it properly...
Quote Reply
Paul,

OK? su/(\d{2})/chr($1)/eg+print lc scalar reverse <>,if$_='5983847366798478733632444778696865763278736647328473768083';? yes
Badly placed (.
[localhost:~] qooq%

DOH have no clue what that is supposed to mean Crazy

--------------------------------------------

hmmm ... I 've seen a lot of sites go wwwThreads but now I wonder what those converted sites will do ???

Wink hopefully go GForum all the way ....

but sadly vBulletin is gaining ground quickly .... hmmmm they have a licencing issue that a lot of folks don't like. And I've heard that vBulletin is very particular about mods that people put out ...

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile

Last edited by:

QooQ: Oct 15, 2001, 6:58 AM
Post deleted by RedRum In reply to

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 15, 2001, 7:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl? In reply to
To run it from the shell use:

perl -e 's/(\d{2})/chr($1)/eg+print lc scalar reverse,if$_="5983847366798478733632444778696865763278736647328473768083"'

Don't try it if you are offended easily...

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 15, 2001, 7:03 AM
Quote Reply
Angelic

ummm ... isn't that a little off topic ???

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I would have thought it is the most on-topic, topic, in the world lol.

I said don't do it if you get offended.

No-one knows what it says without running it, so if you ignore the warning then that's not my fault :)
Quote Reply
Re: Paul's Sig In reply to
Print a new line after.

heehee

- wil
Quote Reply
Edited.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 15, 2001, 7:26 AM
Quote Reply
;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Not that it was needed ... :)

I guess you are fussy about design not only in your pages but in your telnet window too...lol

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 15, 2001, 7:40 AM
Quote Reply
yep!

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi,

With html pages you do lose a lot of the flexibility such as:

- Custom paging (i.e. I like to see 50 posts per page, others 10).
- NEW tags on the posts
- Security Groups: i.e. if I'm not allowed to see this post, it's harder to control that.
- Rebuilding is horrible. If I were to make a template change, I would either need to accept that 160,000+ pages won't be updated, or rebuild. That's going to take a long time.
- Flat view only? Or do you build a flat view + threaded view?
- Show IP for admin's can't work.

Those are just a few of the reasons. That said, I have thought of doing an HTML plugin that would create pages, as it is definately useful in some cases.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl? In reply to
Not to mention, these additional benefits:

1) When users change their preferences (like signatures), those changes would not carry over into older threads/html files, thus causing inconsistency and confusion.
2) Inability to search new threads...you have to re-index threads/posts in UBB every once in awhile for the search engine to work.

Also, popular search engines, like GOOGLE, DO index and store dynamic web pages in their directory.

========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl? In reply to
Eliot

Does Google cache them too?

And just for the record; I don't want to see GT go down the 'static route'. I was just wondering why not, and if they had thought about it. I'm also wondering why the UBB decided to revert back. I guess I'll have to take a look at their boards for that answer.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Yes they do...

Example:

http://www.google.com/...sion+Forum&hl=en
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Why dymanic pages as opposed to HTMl? In reply to
Interesting, thanks!

- wil
Quote Reply
FYI: wwwthreads just bought by Infopop (the company of UBB).

Many dislike Infopop/UBB, and more, they decided to develop their perl version. Many of their clients realy annoy it.

I think it is a good time to transfer those clients to gForum.
> >