Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Questions
Alex,

I am considering getting GF and I would appreciate your answering thefollowing for me:

1) How many moderators are allowed per thread?
2) Can forums or categories be private or public?
3) Can a user subscribe to receive email summary of all posts a certain thread/forum/category?
4) Are gremlins and smilies easily modifiable? is there a limit on these?

Thanks in advance

Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [frankLo] Questions In reply to
Hi,

1. Moderators are per forum, and you can have unlimited number of users.

2. Yes, there is a powerful permission system. You can make forums invisible, viewable in forum list (but can't enter), read only access, read/reply access or read/reply/post access. You can also easily setup groups and give access to a forum based on group membership.

3. Yes, but only in forum/category. This is done in Edit Profile->Subscriptions.

4. Yes, they are easily changed from the admin area, and there is no built in limit (there are no hard coded limits for anything really, unlimited users, unlimited forums, unlimited posts -- all depends on the power of your server).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Questions In reply to
Is there some way that you can allow thread subscriptions? Sometimes subscribing to every thread in a forum is overkill. Perhaps you just want to be notified of new posts to a THREAD. Can this be added?

Also, is there a way to add the text of the post in the email notification? ie: instead of just getting an email that says there has been a response to this thread, the email would actually say what the response was.

Last edited by:

Evoir: Dec 24, 2001, 12:28 PM
Quote Reply
I ask again: Can thread subscriptions be added to the product? Is there any plan around that? Smile
Quote Reply
Frown

Last edited by:

Evoir: Dec 28, 2001, 12:49 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Questions In reply to
Hi,

Sorry, both Jason and I are out of town right now, so forum responses are a little slow. =)

We have looked at subscriptions, and are looking at ways that will work and scale well (i.e. you can't send out 5,000 messages every time someone replies to a post, it simply wont scale).

As for the actual post, yes, you can use that. I think <%post_message%> will do the trick, but put <%GT::Template::dump%> to be sure.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex.

Ya know, vB does this and I think the way they scale it (or keep the emails down) is by only sending 1 email to a subscriber. They have to visit the board to get any more emails. In other words: They get an email -> don't visit the board -> no more emails.

They get an email_. they visit the board -> they get more emails. It's a really sweet feature and well worth the email bandwith.

Would be nice if the admin could configure how they wanted it to work (always email, or email upon return or no thread subscriptions) that way you can scale it to your server and website needs.

I didn't know you guys were out of town. Enjoy yourselves...