Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Hosting

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [John R] Hosting In reply to
What doesn't support perl?

Mandrake 8.1 comes with mod_perl pre-installed so I'd go with that, although I didn't enjoy downloading 1.8GB of ISO's Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Hosting In reply to
haha, winmodems sound like geoport modems on a mac -- slow / horrible ..!

haha, 9X or 7.x / 8/x sounds familar too ... although 9.x series on the Mac goes with win2000 ... I guess ...

umm .... 10.1 come pre-installed with mod_perl too!

hmmm .... I slapped an ADSL modem from NTT (Japan's Devil of a telephone company which is notorious to say the least) on my system and it ran ...

sounds like most OS's still have a little more growing pains to go through Frown

gee, why am I even posting this ??? Crazy

Oh well, thought I'd let you all know that Macs are nice but got problems too !!

XP and OS X are gonna be fun to watch to see how they'll finally clean out alot of outstanding bugs and problems!

[side note]
there's a funny rumor that Apple is gonna the famous "ginger" Tuesday! hahaha, more likely some kind of product that brings together all their quiet puchases.
[/sidenote]

peace to all and all for useful OS's

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Hosting In reply to
Quote:
Thanks for your comments, Drew.

Darn, I was really hoping for World War III. LOL

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Hosting In reply to
Sorry Alex, I couldn't resist...

So I guess I'll just download software with my winmodem?? :-)

Seriously though, I'm having a hard time finding a real modem at computer shops around here. I suppose I could buy one off the internet but I've had bad experiences with that. Seems that it takes 4 hours fly some parts from a warehouse out west somehwere to a wherehouse 45 minutes from my house, and 24 hours to deliver it. what the heck?? Then the guys that delivered didn't even knock on the door, so I didn't releaze they'd come for hours. good thing it didn't rain that day.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Hosting In reply to
There's actually support for software modems at http://www.linmodems.org
Quote:
A Winmodem is a combination of hardware known as chipset (much less than in a true pure hardware modem) and software (written for the infamous Windows operating systems family).

A Linmodem is a Winmodem working under the famous Linux operating system.

Taking a quick look at the web of pages that link out from linmodems.org, I see that a majority of the winmodem/software modem chipsets are supported (Lucent, PCTel, etc). Of course getting a winmodem to work in linux will require some reading (like most things with linux), so RTFM Angelic. But it is possible.

For the lazy, here's a link to a list of supported/unsupported modems (beware: it's one huge table): http://www.idir.net/...mitkc/20010731a.html

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Hosting In reply to
I've seen that before. I didn't have much sucess with it when I tried it last month. I may give it another go next week.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Hosting In reply to
> Darn, I was really hoping for World War III. LOL

I know! That's why I refrained myself! Haha.

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Tongue

why do you think I tried to balance my comments ... I'll get pounded by over half the users here and most of the GT team to boot ... must be ... something ... related to ... S/M ... nah ... errrrr .... M$ HA I said it!!! Angelic

Really though, IS XP really better? Seriously wondering ... so I can suggest to friends/students to upgrade or not ... 1 concern is the licencing issue though...

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Hosting In reply to
XP _IS_ without doubt the best thing M$ has created.

It has so many great features and has not crashed once on me, even when it becomes unstable.

With Win98 if the OS got low on memory it would freeze up but XP keeps going and lets you kill any processes or apps that are slowing you down.

There's also a cool Internet option. My cable modem connection sometimes drops so I just click "Repair Connection" and it fixes whatever went wrong and gets me back online again - (and it isn't the same as Renew in winipcfg)

You can choose the XP desktop theme or classic as well as having fading menu's and tons more.

I love it.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 23, 2001, 7:34 AM
Quote Reply
PhpDev3 dont support perl. which is what i use under windows for testing php and MySql...
Yes i know all about downloading iso's my ears are still ringing from the bashing the mrs gave me for blocking the phone for 90 hours downloading mandrake Pirate i only got 2 of the disks though..
Ain't this fun...
Quote Reply
hehe, I love OS X too!

Glad to hear that M$ has FINALLY did something possibly right this time. Too bad almost viruses are for M$ folks. Oh well, I guess that company can't win.

I'll drop by the local store and check it out!

Quote Reply
Too bad that tons of software doesn't work with XP yet either :(

AND DARN WELL ANNOYING that now, for the price of my PC I could have got a 1.6ghz Pentium IIII

Stupid Gateway telling me prices wouldn't drop.
Quote Reply
haha, and folks were baggin on OS X and lack of software LOL ... oh well ... wait about 6 months before anything decent comes out. IF M$ is smart they'll make office work and look like it does on OS X .... sweet.

Quote Reply
Office XP is already available on ...*cough*, *cough* ......KaZaA.

Of course I didn't download it because that would be illegal but I know it is available.

Not sure what it is like.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 23, 2001, 3:43 PM
Quote Reply
hehe-- I know what you mean.

At my age, getting caught with/doing such things would be pretty embarassing ... awww I wish I were 16-17 again Wink

guess that's why some software firms offer licenes only Crazy

Quote Reply
Quote:
guess that's why some software firms offer licenes only

.....and why there are tons of teenie boppers setting up sites like http://astalavista*******
Quote Reply
yeah,

I can't really look down on most of this since light years ago I remember working out with friends how to copy a copy protected "floppy" Smile

the good ol' days when memory could be doubled with a whole punch!

Quote Reply
Quote:
light years ago I remember working out with friends how to copy a copy protected "floppy"

Could you not just slide the plastic clip to close the hole :)
Quote Reply
Hmmm I'm thinking of write-protected.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
light years ago I remember working out with friends how to copy a copy protected "floppy"

Could you not just slide the plastic clip to close the hole :)

no-no-no those aren't real floppies -- you know those black flimsy things ... invented by a Japanese guy ...
I'm referring to the 5 3/4 not the 3.5 things. hehe, the 8 inchers even pre-date me!

also ... errr.... it was a text/picture rpg game thing ... amazon something ....

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with it, either. I'm only asking 'why'? If you have a more stable environemt, that is a MS SQL database at the click of your fingers ??

Why not use programs that were written for a Win32 platform on Win32 platforms and use programs that were written for linux on linux?

From what I've been able to tell, the linux tools ported to Windows are usually more stable on Windows than the tools written for windows specifically. Apache on windows doesn't have all the security holes that IIS has shown, Perl on windows is certainly better than... um... VB.

I do understand your argument though - it makes much more sense to develope for linux on linux. I'll allow you to use windows with cygwin and apache in a squeeze though... Wink

Certainly buying an IIS license is out of the question, so that really leaves you with PWS or Xitami - both of which have their quirks.

Now, enter Apache 2.0 - this is supposed to be rewritten specifically with Windows in mind - unless they've changed their goals, Windows Apache 2.0 will no longer be experimental. Ah... if only it and mod_perl 2 could hurry up... Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
> >