Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Easier way to manage moderators?

Quote Reply
Easier way to manage moderators?
Managing moderators

I currently have 5 moderators who moderate all the forums (12 so far)

It is very time consuming to add a moderator to multiple forums. I have to search for each forum under "Modify", then scroll down the list of members to select the moderators (and if I forget to hold down the control key, I erase all the other moderators, with no way to look up who they should be without cancelling the operation and starting again...) Adding or deleting one moderator to 12 forums can take up a lot of time.

Can you make it so that a user-list can define the moderators? That way, I can maintain a user-list called "moderators", or several user lists for moderators of different sets of forums, then just manage the one user-list as people's roles change.

Or could there be a Moderators menu that would allow for easy adds/deletes to multiple forums?

Any other ideas??

Cheers,

Bruce

Last edited by:

bdienes: Oct 21, 2001, 8:45 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [bdienes] Easier way to manage moderators? In reply to
Hi,

You could just set their user status to Administrator, and they will have full moderator access to all forums (but do not have access to the admin panel).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Easier way to manage moderators? In reply to
What exactly does Admin status give them besides moderator status on all forums?
Quote Reply
Re: [bdienes] Easier way to manage moderators? In reply to
Hi,

The only extra feature is the ability to ban a user across all forums (which you could do anyways if you were a moderator on every forum).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Easier way to manage moderators? In reply to
To expand a little on what Alex said, if you are a user with status set to Administrator, you have the option to disable the user or ban the IP used for a post. These options show up on the left hand side of the post, along with the options to ban a user or IP from just the current forum. Banning an IP from the site will result in the user getting a "You are banned" page if they try to access it at all. Disabling a user will immediately log them out if they are logged in and will prevent that user from logging in.

Besides being an automatic moderator on all forums, these are the only two abilities given.

As Alex said, if you are a moderator on every forum you could ban the user from every forum anyway, accomplishing almost exactly the same thing.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com