Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Advanced Editor buttons crunched into one pile

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Advanced Editor buttons crunched into one pile
I have just upgraded to 1.1.8 from 1.1.0 (OK I'm a little behind...Shocked). Everything worked great, I've updated my templates to the old look and feel that we created then I started using the forum againSmile. Now when switching to Advanced Editor all of the function buttons are crushed into three piles on the left edge of the editor windowUnsure. Any ideas?

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
MERGINET.com: Emergency Responders Web Site
http://www.merginet.com
Quote Reply
Re: [RBilger] Advanced Editor buttons crunched into one pile In reply to
Have you tried refreshing the page a couple of times? It does this to me ocassionally too, and a refresh of the page usually sorts it out Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Advanced Editor buttons crunched into one pile In reply to
Refreshing the page will work on occassion but not always. We can't rely on our readers to refresh the page though. It has to work the first time. Any ideas?

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
I was told it is a known bug and will be addressed in v.2.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Hi,

Make sure you have a file called .tplinfo in your template directory that contains:

{
inheritance => '../common'
}

Without this, the script can't find the HTML editor files needed.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Advanced Editor buttons crunched into one pile In reply to
I added a text file called .tplinfo with the code you suggested. Transferred it in ASCII format. Still have the same problem.

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
Can you send an email to support-gforum@gossamer-threads.com and include admin access information and we'll take a look.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Can you send an email to support-gforum@gossamer-threads.com and include admin access information and we'll take a look.

Cheers,

Alex

I'll be sending the same info ...

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Hi,

I went through your site on two computers using IE 5.5 and IE 6, and the html editor always showed up properly.

Can you try clearing your browsers cache? You may have a cached version of the old javascript files from a previous version of the forum.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Advanced Editor buttons crunched into one pile In reply to
Hi Steve,

Hmm, I can't replicate it on yours either. The problem I can fix is where the html editor always appears scrunched up, and that indicates a url/path problem and it not being able to load the javascript files properly.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Steve,

Hmm, I can't replicate it on yours either. The problem I can fix is where the html editor always appears scrunched up, and that indicates a url/path problem and it not being able to load the javascript files properly.

So, are we talking about the same thing and I've named it incorrectly, or is this a different problem?

And, yes, please fix it. GT did the original installation and I haven't moved any files or made any changes other than to basic templates for looks.

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Alex,

This must be something with my computer. I moved over to another machine here in teh office, logged in and made the switch to Advanced Editor without a problem. I have cleared the cache (both online and offline files) but still experience the same problem. I am using a later version of IE 6.026

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
Which version of IE is having the problem?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Alex,

This must be something with my computer. I moved over to another machine here in teh office, logged in and made the switch to Advanced Editor without a problem. I have cleared the cache (both online and offline files) but still experience the same problem. I am using a later version of IE 6.026
Version IE 6.026 is having the problem here. The other machine in the office is using 6.028 (as read in teh About Internet Explorer window.

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
Also, when I try to refresh the page I get a blank page back that says Done in the bottom status bar. Can't seem to get the page contents back without going back a few pages.

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
OK. I installed the latest version of IE (6.028). Now my buttons seem to work fine. Funny. When using this forum at Gossamer the buttons always looked correct but in my forum at MERGINET they were scrunched...

Also, could you please try to register as a new user in my site. I got an error when I tried to register a new user through the web site. Not sure what the problem is but maybe you can get the error and tell me what I need to do to fix. Thanks.

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
OK. I've upgraded my IE to the latest version (6.0.28 I missed a dot in my last email). I've also updated my operating system to the latest version which is Win 2000 service pack 3. And I've still got the same problem. The buttons in the advanced editor are all scrunched up in the left corner.

I'm using the advanced editor here and the buttons work fine. So why don't they work in my site? And why can't you replicate it?

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
Just for reference, 6.0.26 is IE 6, while .28 is IE 6 with SP 1.

The buttons being all scrunched is an issue with IE not doing what it is supposed to with regards to Javascript. Initially, the buttons are all scrunched, but then Javascript repositions them as appropriate (for example, if your browser is too small, some buttons will be pushed to the next line). However, for some reason, sometimes IE refuses to do this. Around 1.1.2 or 1.1.4 we added Javascript timers in the code to slow it down - that seemed to help in most cases.

There is another way to get the code to run, and to reposition the buttons - try resizing your browser. Let me know if that works - if it does, we know it's a problem with the timers and I can give you some hints on tweaking them.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Advanced Editor buttons crunched into one pile In reply to
I'll take the hints on tweaking them.

In our web site we have a set width for all pages. We usually have a left and sometimes left and right columns that carry advertising and other features. For the Forum we had to remove both columns to get the width wide enough to fit the format. I am assuming by your information above that we may be setting our width too narrow which might be causing this to happen in IE. We can't change the width to go wider. We trust the buttons to fall out in two lines rather than one automatically (when we do get it to work this is what usually happens).

So any hints to help this along would be appreciated. We would really like to launch this thing and get people to start using it. Thanks.

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
Did resizing work? These problems are very frustrating because I'm unable to reproduce them.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Did resizing work? These problems are very frustrating because I'm unable to reproduce them.

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
You think it's frustrating Unsure. I updated my system completely as outlined above. I view my site on my laptop in 1024 width. I pulled up the template called "include_post_html_common_write.html" and changed the left column width from 125 to 80 (just enough to fit the smilies). This allowed the buttons in the Advanced editor to run on one line the next time I cleared my cache and pulled it up.

Then I left the site, closed my browser, opened it up again, clicked into the Forum and selected Post New and BAM the those buttons were scrunched up again!!! This is getting really tiring. I'd love to find a solution. I really wish you could reproduce this.

I also pulled the Forum up on my other machines which are running Win98/IE 6x. I viewed them in both 800 and 1024 widths. I can't replicate this on those machines either. On those machines it all seems to work fine. I don't get it. Is this only happening on my laptop running Win2000/IE 6x? Why can I use the advanced editor here in the Gossamer Forum and not in my site? So many questions. I really do apologize to everyone for all of this but I'd really like to find the answer. Thanks.

Richard Bilger
RBilger@MERGINET.com
Quote Reply
Alright, as a start, open up editor.js (from the "common" template set) and look for a line:

Code:
innerInterval = setInterval("initInnerIFrame()", 100);

It should be on line 51. Change that 100 to something high - 5000. Then try loading the advanced editor. You're going to see nothing - just a blue screen - for a few seconds, but it should appear eventually (the number is milliseconds - so it should be around 5 seconds).

However, seeing a blank screen for 5 seconds is obviously not an option. The point of that change is just to see that it does actually make a difference.

If it does, I think we can fix the problem by making a couple changes further down: Look for:

Code:
var initInterval, toolbars, tb;

it should be just above:

Code:
function toolbarInit () {

Add another variable named 'twice' on to the end, so that it looks like:

Code:
var initInterval, toolbars, tb, twice;

Now, below "function toolbarInit() {" you should see this:

Code:
if (tbs.length < 3)
return;
else
clearInterval(tbInterval);

Change that like so (changes in red):

Code:
if (tbs.length < 3 || twice++ < 1)
return;
else
clearInterval(tbInterval);

What that will do is make it go through an extra interval loop, thus taking another .1 seconds to allow IE to load properly. My best guess on this is that IE is running the code halfway through loading - so the DIV's (there are 3 - each one contains toolbar buttons) have loaded, but not everything in them (the buttons themselves) have loaded.

Something else you could do is change this:

Code:
tbInterval = setInterval("toolbarInit()", 100);

to 150 or 200 instead of 100. That will slow the toolbar initialization timings down a little and hopefully the extra .15 or .2 seconds will be enough for IE to get its act together. You don't want to make these number too high, however, as that leads to a noticeable delay loading the advanced editor.

Let me know if these changes help - I admit they are a bit of a shot in the dark, but from our previous experience with this problem I think it will help.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Post deleted by Boomer In reply to

Last edited by:

Boomer: Nov 13, 2002, 9:22 AM
Post deleted by Boomer In reply to
> >