Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

No email for Watched or Replied threads

Quote Reply
No email for Watched or Replied threads
Nowadays I found, that I don't really get info email when a Watched thread is replied, or when my post is Replied (I got some emails, but noticed that I did not get for several other posts)... Also did not get subscription emails, which are sent out in digest format...

I don't know if my email provider has a problem or the GForum got a bug into...?
Did anybody find similar problems?

Jason,
I saw the the "Shortcut" link appeared nowadays again in the forum.
I welcome it very much!!! Very useful. Thanks!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] No email for Watched or Replied threads In reply to
>>
<<

Hasn't it always been there?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] No email for Watched or Replied threads In reply to
> Hasn't it always been there?

only for IE users....

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
A bit more than a week ago, our forum wasn't sending any notifications for watched threads, post notification, etc., or forum email. I asked GT to look into it for us and while our host claims they made no changes to the email server, the response I got from GT was:

Seems like the system does not like localhost as the SMTP setting. So I've changed it to use Sendmail at the path /usr/lib/sendmail and it seems to be working.

We've been working correctly since GT fixed us up.

I hope that helps you ...

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Uhm. It seems the problem is with my email service provider. Finally I got the emails, but with even 8-12 hour delays... It was always really fast, now I'm surprised that it had such big delays... Interesting that I got big delays with my other email address on other Hungarian server, too. Probably there was a bottleneck on Hungarian traffics...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Jason,
I welcome it very much!!! Very useful. Thanks!

In Reply To:
Hasn't it always been there?

There has always been a "link" that shows up in Internet Explorer, which when you click on puts the shortcut directly into your clipboard via Javascript. This has not, however, been available for other browsers, since they do not allow adjusting the data of the clipboard (arguably, this is for security reasons, especially on more console-oriented systems such as Linux). Recently, I added a "Shortcut" link for non-IE browsers so that those users can use their Right click -> "Copy Link Location" (or equivelant) feature.

This is exactly the change mentioned here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=221516#221516

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] "Shortcut" feature & crossbrowser features In reply to
Ah, so it was just a template change. That's why there was no version change.
Anyway, I like it having in Mozilla. I missed it since long time. Thanks.

Offtopic, but would be possible to provide Mozilla support for Markup buttons? I know this was discussed already, but I still really miss it...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] "Shortcut" feature & crossbrowser features In reply to
[/reply]Offtopic, but would be possible to provide Mozilla support for Markup buttons?[/reply]
Do you mean the buttons at the bottom of the post (code, reply, quote, b, u, i, email, url)? They work for Mozilla. Unfortunately, Mozilla is rather deficient in its abilities to handle text input manipulation. It is simply impossible to insert something at the current location of a textarea, because Mozilla has no ability to determine the current position of the cursor in the textarea. The developers pawn this off as "better," somehow, and from what I've seen have no intention of changing this. Thus, the buttons (and smilies) always appear at the bottom.

I'm aware of this problem, as I use Phoenix as a browser, but until someone convinces the Mozilla developers that it's worthwhile writing a browser for the user rather than the developer, I doubt this is going to change.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Yes, I mean the bug that Merkup sign is put to end of text. Hmm, I checked also in Netscape v4.79. Not working there either.

Well, if you know the URL of this bug in Bugzilla, let me know! I will sure put my vote there.
Mozilla developers are strange people anyway as I found, since they seems to refuse any kind of support of traditional feature, to display ALT text as tooltip (for compatibility with old sites).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
In a way I understand the ALT tag/tooltip business - I don't think the HTML specifications have _EVER_ stated that ALT tags should be used as mouseover tooltips - but it worked in IE, so everyone did it.

I'm not sure if Mozilla now supports the sort of thing required to do this - I'll add it to a list to look into, because being able to use the buttons as in IE would be very convenient. I hate editing a post, and meaning to insert a smilie from the left, but having it added at the end. Pirate

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Quote:
In a way I understand the ALT tag/tooltip business - I don't think the HTML specifications have _EVER_ stated that ALT tags should be used as mouseover tooltips
I would inverse the statement: the HTML specifications have _NEVER_ stated that ALT tags should be NOT used as mouseover tooltips. That's the truth.

Also from Netscape 4.x until IE 5.x, 6.x, they supported ALT tag display as tooltip. This was as long as 6-7 years. It IS a TRADITIONAL feature, what should be supported at least in Quirks mode of Mozilla.
Also the good example comes right from your last post. There is a pirate image, with ALT="Pirate". I would want to get info about the image. The ALT tag provides a short text description of the image so I want to read as tooltip.

Cases:
1) we have both ALT & TITLE attribs, text is different - we display TITLE as tooltip, of course
2) we have both ALT & TITLE attribs, text is same - we should display TITLE as tooltip. But since ALT is always required, it is unnecessary to have added the TITLE with same text again. We can just leave it away. It would just make the page longer without any good reason! Therefore if we have only ALT attrib, we should display it as tooltip.
3) we have only TITLE attrib - we display TITLE as tooltip, of course
4) we have only ALT attrib - we should display ALT as tooltip, because of reason described in point 2)

Anyway, I don't think, that I have to convince anybody here about the ALT attrib subject, so better I move back this discussion to Mozilla project... So if you don't aggree with my reasons, just ignore my words.

Quote:
I'll add it to a list to look into, because being able to use the buttons as in IE would be very convenient. I hate editing a post, and meaning to insert a smilie from the left, but having it added at the end.
Even would be better to have the Smilies, Markup tags, copied using "Copy Link location", to avoid the need to go to end of post, comparing to current solution which needs to go to end of post, and cut & move to correct place...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Even would be better to have the Smilies, Markup tags, copied using "Copy Link location", to avoid the need to go to end of post, comparing to current solution which needs to go to end of post, and cut & move to correct place...

True... But then we get back to Mozilla's (deliberate) inability to perform a "Copy" function through scripting.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads