Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

view new threads

Quote Reply
view new threads
Not an original idea since it comes from vB ... but sure would like to see a what's new thread locator ...

now adding to that idea have it so we could filter out categories we don't want to see ... ie :: what's new for announcements (all) / g-forum (all) / chitchat (babble section only)

Hmmm I don't think vB goes that far ... haven't played with enough but ... the latest posts function is really useful ... I can check to see if I missed any posts!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] view new threads In reply to
In Reply To:
Not an original idea since it comes from vB ... but sure would like to see a what's new thread locator ...
Where would this be added?
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] view new threads In reply to
ahhh ... didn't think of that ... hmmm ... vB has it at the top right corner ... hmmm .... possibly some where on the home/main index page above all the forums ... near the number of registered users possibly. Most folks are right handed and the scroll bars are near by too which would make this an easy to click location.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] view new threads In reply to
I just want to add my 2 cents that I believe this is an extremely useful feature. I regularly visit a vb forum that has this capability. It's the first thing I check when I enter that board. I believe it would significantly enhance the usability of Gossamer Forum if added.

Regards

Don McRitchie
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website

Last edited by:

warc1: Dec 8, 2002, 2:02 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [warc1] view new threads In reply to
Yes, me too!
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] view new threads In reply to
I thought I should elaborate since there are likely some that are unfamiliar with this feature. Very simply, it is a list of every thread that has had a new post added no matter what forum it was posted under. vB does this as a simple query using their search engine. Therefore, I would guess that this would be easy to code.

Such a feature would lose its utility on a board like this one, where there are dozens of individual forums that generate limited cross-interest. However, making the query context sensitive would address this. In other words, if you are at the highest level of the forum (i.e. the main index page), a "View New Threads" query would be global. If you were at the group heading level (eg Products) the query would apply to all of the fourms under that group and so on. For example, on this board, I could make use of a "new new thread" query for the four fourums that comprise the "Gossamer Forum" group.

As to where to locate a query button, I would suggest the top left, immediately under the forum title and user name (i.e. Gossamer Forum Welcome Warc1).

Regards

Don McRitchie
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website
Quote Reply
Re: [warc1] view new threads In reply to
Was this feature ever added?

CCUnet
my Christian web