Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Groups question

Quote Reply
Groups question
Hi,

Is it possible to use a form to post a person into a specific group in the forum?

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Apr 20, 2003, 9:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Groups question In reply to
I'm not sure I understand what you mean...?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Groups question In reply to
Hi Jason,

As an example, a person applies to be an editor in LinksSQL. If approved the applicant is automatically added to the "editors" group on the forum. So it would be on the response side not the application side that activates the group submission.

Does that help?

Thanks

Brian
Quote Reply
Maybe you could find someone to write a plugin for you? It's a fairly easy task - just insert a column with user_id_fk and group_id_fk of the user_id and group_id of the respective user and group.

There's also the GroupModerator plugin which does something related, though it doesn't sound like that's quite what you're after.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Groups question In reply to
Thanks Jason.

You gave me what I needed with what info carries over.

Thanks again

Brian
Quote Reply
Hi,

Did you make this work? I'm looking at writing something more general, from the aspect of Community, but this would be one widget in the triad if you have it working.

Thanks,

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Groups question In reply to
I have not had the time as of yet.
Quote Reply
Let me jump in with the same request.

Our site is about sports officiating - football, baseball, basketball, etc. We have separate forums for each sport.

We have already created the groups for each of the sports (football officials, basketball officials, etc). Some people will belong to one group; a great many others will belong to several groups.

We're not concerned with private groups; they will be handled by the respective moderators via the Groupmod plugin.

But once a person has registered and has been validated, we want them when they enter/update their profiles to be able to designate what sports they officiate by using multiple checkboxes and have their selections automatically placed into User_Group table.

Due to the nature of our site, direct input to the User_Group table from the profile form needs to be an option we can implement. Otherwise we will spend a tremendous amount of wasted time and administrative work placing all the people into the correct groups because of something that should be easily and automatically done through the profile.

Here is an image to show you what we're looking for on the edit profile page. The first example uses checkboxes, which is the ideal way to go. Lower in the image shows the same done with a select box (which we do not want). We imported the groups to the form, but obviously we cannot update the User_Group table from the form.

Somehow this certainly should be possible.