Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1

Quote Reply
Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1
Hi! I don't know if there are any netscape 6.1 user using this forum but there is one problem which i just found out. It seems that netscape 6.1 causes the forum posting area to not update the the place where you type your message fast enough. There is a lag of up to 1 minute or more. and when you try to copy text from other text document onto the message area, it doesn't show up or when it does, it takes a very long time.

By the way, I'm using a P4 1.8GHz, 256MB Ram and a 56kbps modem. I don't know is this my problem or is it s problem faced by those who use the Netscape 6.1.
Julian
Quote Reply
Re: [vampy] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
It isn't 6.1 or Netscape - Im using it now to test and it is fine.

Sounds like your P4 is disguised as a P3 100mhz :)

The post textarea is huge though with 6.1

........and the B U and I buttons are almost impossible to see.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 3, 2001, 8:06 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Remove Netscape from your machine.

Now go to www.mozilla.org and download a decent browser.

:-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
Those who want cross-browser compatible websites need both MSIE and NS to be able to test.....unfortunately :(

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 3, 2001, 8:32 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
Paul

I'd still uninstall NS 6.1. How many hits do you get with that? I bet it's less hits than WebTV! Go and download NS v 4.x.

Or better still, ask everyone to go and DL Mozilla. Then we'll all be happy

;-)

EDIT: By the way; I like your HTML and layout for your list.cgi script. Nice touch.

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Oct 3, 2001, 8:57 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Go and download NS v 4.x.

Already have that too :)

Quote:
I like your HTML and layout for your list.cgi script. Nice touch.

Thanks. All template based too.
Quote Reply
I have been a Netscape user since I was on the internet 4 years ago and I have to agree that netscape 6.1 is really not up to expectations. BTW, I did use I.E 5.5 to check up and it works fine.

I notice that N6.1 is rather particular about html and javascripts and java itself. I have come across websites that I use to have no problems with until I switched over to N6.1.

I'm unwilling to let go of N6.1 cos' first of all, it finally has the ability to check multiple mail accounts all at the same time. I know Outlook can do that but I realised also that many virus attacks seems to be targeted at Outlook itself. Secondly, I personally had bad experiences with previous versions of I.E but I must say, it seems that I.E 5.5 seems to be good.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether it was my computer's fault or netscape's fault. Oh well, if any one else seem to be facing the problem... I think I need to call up dell and ask them whether they short change me. Wink
Julian
Quote Reply
get a Mac ... since you don't need to worry about outlook infecting your computer with everything and anything, including the crabs and cooties.

Laugh

seriously though, what about multizilla, the tabs idea look interesting. Cool

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
Yea...but you have to worry about sending attachments with no file extension to PC based computers...hehe!

I have to send attachments for my boss ALL the time...(she is on a Mac and uses Outlook).
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
ohhhhh .... she's on an old mac Wink an doesn't realize those tricks probably. Oh well, at least she's on a computer of some sort.

Never had that problem and I send emails with attachments 3-4 times a week to my friends wintel machine. He, on the other hand lost a 40 gig drive, the port to boot, and after rebuilding his system got nailed hard by a virus ... Crazy

I'm on a BSD / mach kernel system ... Cool apache 1.3.20 / php 4.0.6 / Perl 5.0.6 / mySQL .
Too bad hardware is still a little too expensive ... buying a separate monitor does hurt for a tower system Frown

Hopefully, eventually, most systems will become more co-existant. Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
She is on a newer Mac, BUDDY! Tongue

Her Outlook has been re-installed three times by our computer technical
staff (and don't even make any sly remarks about their capabilities, because
they are quite capable), and she still has problems sending email
attachments to PCs.

Got it???
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

AnthroRules: Oct 4, 2001, 9:31 AM
Quote Reply
You can adjust the textarea sizes for all textarea's throughout the forum by editing your user profile. I know about the problem with the b, u, i buttons showing up too small - I've fixed it on my local copy, which will replace this soon enough.

As for this lag - I haven't seen this problem with Mozilla - can anyone else reproduce it?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Fourm not working properly with Netscape 6.1 In reply to
Nope.....

- wil