Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Private Forums for Moderators

Quote Reply
Private Forums for Moderators
One suggestion is to create PRIVATE forums where moderators can discuss problems and issues rather than overwriting their actions in forums...

I think that if a thread is CLOSED/LOCKED, it should remain closed rather than MODERATORS able to continue discussions.

Having a PRIVATE forum for MODERATORS may reduce the risk of continuing needless discussions in LOCKED Threads.

I've implemented PRIVATE versus PUBLIC forums in my adaption of LINKS SQL v.1.13 in my forum software....and it works quite effectively.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

AnthroRules: Sep 14, 2001, 8:31 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Private Forums for Moderators In reply to
I asked Alex about this a few weeks ago and he said he'd consider it.
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] Private Forums for Moderators In reply to
Paul,

Database structure and code logic speaking, it would not be that difficult...basically adding a column called something like ForumType (ENUM, PRIVATE, PUBLIC) and then checking for MODERATOR permissions via the Perons/Users table.

That is one thing that I liked about UBB, which I integrated into my forum software...and it is a nice method of haivng moderators disucss problems before over-writing each other's action....

See ya...
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

AnthroRules: Sep 14, 2001, 8:48 PM
Quote Reply
GForum already allows for this.

Jason can set up a forum and give specific user groups like admin/mods/members/guests different privileges for the forum like read/read-write etc......

Oh......also believe it can be hidden

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 14, 2001, 8:40 PM
Quote Reply
Great!

Then the next step is for Moderators to use the forum to discuss problems...Wink
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Sure would be nice for moderators to have somewhere private to go to discuss problems with other moderators and admin!
Quote Reply
ummm ... not a moderator but making it invisible to the genral public might be good too ... err would read / read write posted above the same thing?

GT is a company and having perspective buyers seeing posts that are flamatory in nature might influence their decisions.

Definately, I think the suggestions in this thread would be nice to have.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Private Forums for Moderators In reply to
Quote:
Oh......also believe it can be hidden

Cool

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Any thoughts staff?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Private Forums for Moderators In reply to
If you're asking if GForum supports this, it does. If you create a forum where only certain groups have read permissions then people who don't have access, won't even know the forum exists.

If you're asking if we should do it for this forum, I don't know Smile I'm not a moderator/admin so I don't know what you guys are doing in locked threads Tongue.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Private Forums for Moderators In reply to
Quote:
If you're asking if we should do it for this forum,

Yep thats what Im asking. It would mean we could discuss moans, groans, comments, questions in a private/hidden forum instead of on the main forum.
Quote Reply
also, keep the innocent -- errr .... innocent Angelic

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Private Forums for Moderators In reply to
Quote:
QooQ pronounced "cue - cue"

Glad you cleared that up....I thought it was qwook :)
Quote Reply
friend gave it to me ... sort of ... wrote in an email once and I thought the same Que-K... quirk .. Shocked