Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

[Suggestion] User creatable private message directories

Quote Reply
[Suggestion] User creatable private message directories
Would be fine to be able to create directories in the "Messages" page, so the user could move, sort his important private messages into directories.

Anybody else would like this idea?

Jagerman, could you add this idea to the wishes list?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
I'll consider it, but I think that may be making things too complicated. I think a good analogy to private messages would be instant messages - you know, of the ICQ/MSN/AIM/etc. variety. It's just supposed to be a way to send someone a quick note. Having folders, on the other hand, makes the private messenging system into almost an e-mail type messenging system.

Eventually - and mind you, I am not promising, leaking or predicting anything here - I would like to see Gossamer Forum and Gossamer Mail become sufficiently integrated to the point that if you have an account in both GForum and GMail, your private messages would actually show up as Gossamer Mail e-mails, thus allowing you to apply anything Gossamer Mail supports to your private messages. Presumably, sending a private message would also be done through the GMail interface.

However, that is a long way off - if ever. Right now, however, my goals are to make Gossamer Forum into a very powerful and robust system so that in the future it will be quite easy for us to add features such as this.

So, I'll put this on my list, but it is most likely a post-2.0 item.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
Just let me show you my case.
I've now 40-50 private messages. Ok, some of them could be deleted, since it's not important anymore. However there are some important ones, which I would like to keep for future reference.
Unfortunately there is no way to mark a message as important.
That's where the (virtual) directories would help me. Also directories would make available sorting the messages into groups, like "replies to my Plugin 1", "correspondence for my 2nd plugin", etc. To show you just a few ideas of usage.

I think it would not be a difficult feature. Would need a new column, a few new templates, and treatment of those form in inputs.

IMHO, private message is not less in any way compared to email. Private message may be even so important as an email, so I think needs such features, what an email client has. Or at least the grouping feature with directories.

EDIT:
Quote:
Having folders, on the other hand, makes the private messenging system into almost an e-mail type messenging system
I think private messanging is almost an e-mail type messenging.

IMHO, Private messanging can not be compared to instant messaging. Instant messages are grouped by user. Each user has his own message history. Private messanging in GForum, has no any grouping feature. Therefore, IMHO(!) it can not be compared to instant messaging.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 21, 2003, 9:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
Maybe something simpler and more easily implemented would be just some sort of flag. You could mark a pm as important and then there could be an option to sort the pms so important ones float to the top.

A "delete all" would bee good too (Jason Cool)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
Paul,
Your sarcasm always makes me to defend myself. So to avoid arguments, Please don't be sarcastic, ok?

About the Followup flag, I aggree, it would be a good feature, as this feature IS also part of email clients, being useful feature of them.
But Followup flag can not be compared to Directories in usefullness.
IMHO, Directories (we can even call them Folders) gives a lot more possibilities, than a simple flag...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 21, 2003, 9:44 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Your sarcasm always makes me to defend myself. So to avoid arguments, Please don't be sarcastic, ok?

I am very sorry but at no point was I sarcastic. I was making a totally reasonable suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote:
I am very sorry but at no point was I sarcastic. I was making a totally reasonable suggestion.

You mean you was not sarcastic in that post?:
Quote:
A "delete all" would bee good too (Jason Cool)

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Erm no I most certainly wasn't. I was pointing out to Jason that I'd like a delete all button to save me deleting only 25 messages at a time - that's no fun when you have to delete 650 messages.

Thankyou Mad

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 21, 2003, 10:13 AM
Quote Reply
Khm, I'm sorry then. I misunderstood your words Frown Blush
So please accept my apology!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
Just more additional info.
Just saw that even Ikonboard forum script has the following features in their private message system:
  • Full Folder support (can move or delete messages in a folder, can add or remove Virtual Directories)
  • Address Book
  • Get notified when the message is read (Read notice)
  • Can Save unfinished post, message, notice

I think all above are good features, and the fact that exists in other forum shows, that are valid features for a private message system...

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
  • Quote Reply
    I can see this progessing.

"We have folders, now we want nested folders."

"We have good folder support, now we want filtering options."

I'll bump the priority a little, to "maybe" for 2.0 - but not on the single level, unfilterable folders.

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    >>
    <<

You could use my user filter plugin Cool
    Quote Reply
    Quote:
    I can see this progessing.
    "We have folders, now we want nested folders."
    Yeah, your are right. Smile Users are always expecting more & more... Wink
    As for my needs the minimum requirements I listed would be enough. But of course more is better.

I think could be possible to create a plugin for these features, I would not want to start both of us projects with same features (I will not have time for developing such plugin in close future, so I tell it just theoretically).

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    In Reply To:
    You could use my user filter plugin Cool

I meant something more like Mail filters - e.g. "Message received from <username> should be automatically <moved to folder|copied to folder|marked as read|deleted|etc.>"

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    And you could adapt the GMail SpamAssassin plugin to check if the private messages are spam. This could then possibly be extended to spam-checking posts....

Ivan
    -----
    Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
    Quote Reply
    Re: [yogi] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
    Hehe, how many spam private messages have you received?

Remember that bot I wrote to spam check posts Wink
    Quote Reply
    Re: [yogi] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
    In Reply To:
    And you could adapt the GMail SpamAssassin plugin to check if the private messages are spam. This could then possibly be extended to spam-checking posts....

That's a good idea, then I could make it so you could enter an e-mail address instead of a username, and it would send the e-mail. Of course, it would also create a local mail account so you could receive the reply (running in
    through Spam Assassin and filters, of course).

That, of course, would logically extend into posts mailing themselves to people who might find them interesting (using a very advanced "AI" determination system, of course). Then, all I have to do is extend the AI system into true AI, and I'll never have to work again.

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    Hi Jason,

What if the thought was in place to move an IM feature to the Community side rather than in a specific program?

This would allow users that do not use Gmail or GForum the ability to create communication between users.

While a lot of us use multiple programs from GT some may not and it would be a great way to satisfy both the multi-product user as well as the single product user.

Just a thought!Smile

Brian
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Teambldr] [Suggestion] User creatable private message directories In reply to
    In Reply To:
    ... as well as the single product user.

I think it would probably be something of a nuissance to require Community in order to get the feature in Gossamer Forum. I think there's no question that if you want _just_ Gossamer Forum, and no integrated login with other programs, GForum alone (i.e. without Community) is probably a better option.

Whether or not Community should/will have messaging, however, is a completely seperate issue.

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    Thanks...Smile
    Quote Reply
    Teambldr wrote:
    Quote:
    What if the thought was in place to move an IM feature to the Community side rather than in a specific program?
    I like that idea... And sounds perfectly reasonable, too.
    Private Messaging feature *may* belong to site users, not just for GForum users...
    +1 vote for the idea.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 23, 2003, 11:53 AM
    Quote Reply
    Gossamer Community

Jason Rhinelander
    Gossamer Threads
    Quote Reply
    I think Jason also has a good point. Some admins may not want to link together their userbases for some reason. So if they do not want Community then they would need an option as well.

But for those that have intent to bring everything into one userbase then having either access to the PM feature from the GForum program from all applications via the Community side or having a stand alone IM feature within Community would work well.

Does that make sense?

Brian
    Quote Reply
    Are there plans to improve PM system in GForum until v2.0?

And how about the plans to include a PM system into GCommunity?

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support