Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Can you subscribe to a forum

Quote Reply
Can you subscribe to a forum
I am trying to have people subscribe to a forum, so they get emails with all new posts. There is a "subscribers" field in the database when you define the forum, but this doesn't do anything. And can I allow users to subscribe?
Quote Reply
Re: [dirk.laeremans] Can you subscribe to a forum In reply to
this I think is just a user setting -- which can be accessed by the user in their profile settings area ... hmmm ... can't seem to find a automatic email function yet ... which is set by the admin ...

hope this helps until GT support stops by

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hi,

Users can subscribe by clicking on Edit Profile -> Subscriptions. These are nightly digests that get sent out though, and not an email on every post.

You need to run the subscribe.pl file which is the admin/cron folder. This does the actual mailings.

These things will end up in the docs. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Users like to suggest this feature... they think they want it. On small sites, it's very nice. But try it on a forum that gets 100-500 messages/day... that's a lot of e-mail when you have several hundred users subscribed. Bounce-backs, etc... if someone goes out of town for a week, the forum mail can fill up their inbox... or sometimes they'll use an auto responder/vacation response. Hassles from an admin standpoint.

I concluded that it wasn't really worth releasing as a public feature with WWWThreads, after we did it for a few users who insisted on having it. I created an account to get the mail myself, and forgot to check it a few times, then found a couple thousand messages sitting there after a week. Wink I think daily digests work much better.

Muhammad
Quote Reply
Re: [Muhammad] Can you subscribe to a forum In reply to
Hi,

Would it be worthwhile if bounced messages and auto replies were handled automatically? We've done this with another project, and it could work well here.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Can you subscribe to a forum In reply to
Alex,

Would you expand on this issue???

It would be great to implement an automated update to my USERS table based on bounced emails...currently, I have to manually go through each bounced email and update my records to BAN (Yes) with a reason stored...I have to do this for about 100 records on average per month.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Muhammad] Can you subscribe to a forum In reply to
The e-mail subscriptions send out one e-mail per user per forum per day. That e-mail contains a list of the day's posts in that forum. There is also an admin feature to put a cap on the number of posts included.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Can you subscribe to a forum In reply to
Yeah, I think it would be a worthwhile feature, since so few forums offer it, it would give you a nice advantage in the subscriptions dept.

Muhammad